House Price Crash Forum

Is the U.K in a recession right now?

Data Dave

Will Q4 2023 show negative GDP growth?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Will Q4 2023 show negative GDP growth?

HOLA441
7 hours ago, Tony_Teacake said:

2 of our biggest recessions happened here in the UK have happened within the last 32 years. The early 90s and 2008. 

How many starved?

Even a recession these days is a time of plenty. 

I started my career early 2000s and don't recall anything being bad around 2008 employment-wise. 

We've had brief dips and Plateaus from time to time but no hardship for decades. This will continue. 

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
3 hours ago, Stewy said:

How many starved?

Even a recession these days is a time of plenty. 

I started my career early 2000s and don't recall anything being bad around 2008 employment-wise. 

We've had brief dips and Plateaus from time to time but no hardship for decades. This will continue. 

This is why you are so out of touch. Your attitude is I'm OK so everybody else must be which is not the case. Maybe you have been one of the lucky ones who have not experienced any hardship but many good hard working  honest people have had there life's turned upside down when we have had recessions.

HOLA443
1 hour ago, Tony_Teacake said:

This is why you are so out of touch. Your attitude is I'm OK so everybody else must be which is not the case. Maybe you have been one of the lucky ones who have not experienced any hardship but many good hard working  honest people have had there life's turned upside down when we have had recessions.

The impact of the 2008 recession was felt by working folk more via the subsequent austerity measures over the next 10 years or so, not during the recession. So the correlation between hardship and GDP growth is actually quite poor. You would struggle to pick out periods of recessions from a time chart of poverty rates.  And high levels of poverty and inequalty is no sure sign of recession. USA is a ever present reminder of that.

Unemployment rates  are a stronger indicator, which currently stand at 4.2, and based on this there is no indication we will see a deep recession. But that doesn't say much about whether people are strugggling. It also doesn't say much about whether the better off 50% can afford to pay peak prices for housing.

Edited by mynamehere

• 1 month later...
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
On 27/12/2023 at 11:26, mynamehere said:

Unemployment rates  are a stronger indicator, which currently stand at 4.2, and based on this there is no indication we will see a deep recession

Looks like it has already started. It's funny when you think these same people were saying 12 months ago there won't be a recession. Now they are saying it will only be a shallow one. My reply to these comments would be "You are out of touch".

HOLA4411
1 hour ago, Data Dave said:

Yeah I was gonna say, that's not what I'm hearing:

Construction tops insolvency table with 4371 collapses last year

https://www.constructionnews.co.uk/financial/administrations/construction-tops-insolvency-table-with-4371-collapses-last-year-30-01-2024/

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

So the economy has failed to grow in real terms since 2008 and yet here we are still importing a million a year to these shores, at a cost of £8million quid a day.

I'm sure they'll get us out of recession with all those Uber eats and deliveroo jobs.

#sarcasm

Screenshot_2024-02-15-13-33-03-061 (1).jpeg

Edited by burk

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

To get a recession with such high inflation occurring last year (January 2024 RPI is 4.9%) makes it even worse.

However, GDP isn't the end all. Much better to look at "do people feel better off than last year?". You can be assured that the vast majority don't.

HOLA4416
1 hour ago, Far Canal said:

To get a recession with such high inflation occurring last year (January 2024 RPI is 4.9%) makes it even worse.

However, GDP isn't the end all. Much better to look at "do people feel better off than last year?". You can be assured that the vast majority don't.

That strikes me as an inequality issue.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

think most people active in the real economy could see it shiteing itself end of last year.

Didn’t really need a confirmation to know that, although it may make others wake up to the reality of the situation.

Think we will start to recover mid way through 2025. Although no recovering in housing market until end of 2027.

HOLA4420
13 minutes ago, jiltedjen said:

think most people active in the real economy could see it shiteing itself end of last year.

Didn’t really need a confirmation to know that, although it may make others wake up to the reality of the situation.

Think we will start to recover mid way through 2025. Although no recovering in housing market until end of 2027.

By the "real economy", do you mean how the average working person is doing?

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
8 hours ago, Far Canal said:

Bingo

And this is why the rest of this decade is going to be incredibly hard on little old blighty

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425
2 hours ago, Mandalorian said:

I don't need no fancy models to see what's going to happen.

Just go for a walk round town and talk to people.

So you're that loon then...

The wealthy are off walking hills and visiting micropubs and enjoying 9-course tasting menus rather than wasting time moping around identikit town centres looking for shared misery.