House Price Crash Forum

Is this the day the SHTF? Looks possible to me.

HOLA441

Well, what a day it has been - and sure, this is anecdotal but... 

Major construction sector firm I work for suddenly had all contracts cancelled (from various directions - not coordinated) - just a wipeout - major panic. 

4 of a handful of contacts I work with in my job - UK and Ireland based - all went down with COVID-19- 1 severely (blood oxy probs). 

Phone calls from 2 estate agents regarding fallen-through sales. 

All in a day. Is this the day the SHTF? The weirdness gets weirder. 

Might I say I think COVID-19 looks ridiculously dangerous in the winter (haven't experienced it yet in the colder months) - usually kills via secondary infection/lung issues, so add in virus season and heaven knows where we will be in a November (the usual start of flu season). Not looking good. Seriously concerning. 

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
3 hours ago, gruffydd said:

Major construction sector firm I work for suddenly had all contracts cancelled (from various directions - not coordinated) - just a wipeout - major panic. 

4 of a handful of contacts I work with in my job - UK and Ireland based - all went down with COVID-19- 1 severely (blood oxy probs). 

Might I say I think COVID-19 looks ridiculously dangerous in the winter (haven't experienced it yet in the colder months) - usually kills via secondary infection/lung issues, so add in virus season and heaven knows where we will be in a November (the usual start of flu season). Not looking good. Seriously concerning. 

I am definitely seeing jitters, house price reductions (although that’s very mixed still) and a business I know having major orders ‘put in hold’. It is still a little anecdotal at the moment but I think people and even businesses and markets had kind of forgotten 2wave, Brexit, redundancies etc. 

I still get that feeling is we get neutral news which we might expect anyway looking at markets eg Brexit will be ok, vaccine sorted then there will be still be a huge daft surge again.....and then a realisation it was already factored in. 

I think if we get some proper bad news then all bets are off and it could be tin hat time. At least I can eat The Count’s dog as he is clearly far too fussy. 

HOLA4412
30 minutes ago, Roman Roady said:

Plus there is a chance of us becoming a rouge state now!

Tarted up and ready for the street corner to be shafted by our EU, US, Russian, and Chinese clients.

Britannia may never be a slave, but we sell ourselves easily

HOLA4413
3 hours ago, gruffydd said:

A relative of mine in their early 40s with no preexisting conditions caught coronavirus in March. It was pretty nasty, they struggled to walk up the stairs and sounded like they had a kind of low grade pneumonia, breathing pretty laboured.

The whole thing lasted a month, probably a result of their body's immune response being a bit too strong. Admittedly they didn't get tested but lost their sense of smell.

Edited by spacedin

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
35 minutes ago, msi said:

Tarted up and ready for the street corner to be shafted by our EU, US, Russian, and Chinese clients.

Britannia may never be a slave, but we sell ourselves easily

That’s been happening for years to the UK, the only difference is the old gal was getting high end Russians and Chinese, the old girl is now toothless and sadly the next few years will not be kind 

HOLA4416
3 hours ago, rantnrave said:

Number of new coronavirus cases in UK rising again and 30 extra deaths today could confirm that a second wave is definitely upon us.

Any news on the other 1500 plus people who died today - and everyday on average  - but not from COVID?

Say 30 people died it sounds a lot - tell people Covid only counted for less than 2 per cent of deaths today not so much!

Edited by MARTINX9

HOLA4417
9 minutes ago, MARTINX9 said:

Any news on the other 1500 plus people who died today - and everyday on average  - but not from COVID?

Say 30 people died it sounds a lot - tell people Covid only counted for less than 2 per cent of deaths today not so much!

This ^ , also the collection of data seems to be very shaky.  With large numbers being released on certain days, with very low / zero deaths on other days.

Could be deaths that happened weeks ago being reported all in one go, but even if it isn't, a much more effective way to reduce the daily death rate would be to have more initiatives to reduce heart disease and cancer deaths.

HOLA4418

^ Quite.

0.00004% of the UK population died today from COVID-19, there have been days recently when it has been 1/10th of even that ridiculously low figure.

0.06% of the population have died from it to date. 6 in every 100,000 people.

I honestly don't understand why the whole thing is such a big deal

HOLA4419
14 minutes ago, MARTINX9 said:

Say 30 people died it sounds a lot...

Quite.  I think we should have daily tallys of everyone who died within the last 24 hours with breakdowns for each continent, then for each country within each continent, then for each administrative district within each continent.  We could also have a breeakdown by age, gender, occupation and bank balance.  We could use it as a preamble to other news, on the hour, every hour.  Obviously, it would be pointless to provide a breakdown by assumed cause of death.

I reckon it would really really help establish an optimistic uplifting environment.

HOLA4420

If they reported the news like this:

"Tuesday's figures... 69,999,970 people didn't die from Covid-19 today, and the survival toll is expected to be higher towards the end of the week...."

There'd be a lot less angst and depression around, and it'd help people put their sorry lives into perspective. 

Edited by Orb

HOLA4421
1 hour ago, MARTINX9 said:

Back when it was over 1,000 people dying every day then that did feel rather more significant than 30.

However, I guess the fact the trend is up is the significant point.

HOLA4422
48 minutes ago, Orb said:

If they reported the news like this:

There'd be a lot less angst and depression around, and it'd help people put their sorry lives into perspective. 

This is the same reason I think EastEnders should be banned from TV. Why haven’t the people in the programme figured out that their homes are worth a fortune, sell up and move out into the country. They’d be much happier. 

HOLA4423

Another cheery story to end 8 September 2020 - Oxford University/Astra Zeneca vaccine trial put on hold due to UK participant suffering a severe adverse reaction. Perhaps we might have to wait a bit longer for the vaccine.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/09/08/astrazeneca-covid-19-vaccine-study-put-on-hold-due-to-suspected-adverse-reaction-in-participant-in-the-u-k/

https://www.ft.com/content/98fca6d4-fcd2-488c-bcfc-d47758740a1a

And Chantelle in Eastenders is going to die next week - but not of COVID!

https://metro.co.uk/2020/09/07/eastenders-spoilers-boss-jon-sen-reveals-why-chantelle-had-to-die-in-gray-abuse-story-13231437/

Edited by MARTINX9

HOLA4424
1 hour ago, MARTINX9 said:

See. Ban it! Mind you, I’m only assuming it’s still full of miserable people. The last episode I saw was when Lofty had been left at the alter by Michelle. He came home, opened the door and the confetti fell on him. Then he slumped down against the door and wept.....

HOLA4425