House Price Crash Forum

What / Who will collapse first in 2019

reddog

HOLA441
9 hours ago, Quicken said:

Very interesting, but could a university totally go bankrupt?

Personally I doubt it, however reckless the university employees are it will get some sort of bail out or forced merger with another university.  

In some ways the suprising thing is that universities aren't more reckless.

• Replies 672
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

Very interesting, but could a university totally go bankrupt?

Yes, of course. and then start operating again 24h later as if nothing had happened.

It's only numbers on a screen.

Are you not going to go to Reading University because they have 0 debt? 

Edited by Giraffe

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

Airbus Will Stop Making the World’s Largest Passenger Jet

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-02-14/airbus-buries-a380-flagship-drawing-curtain-on-jumbo-jet-era

I'm not saying they're going under but ....

Airbus said as many as 3,500 jobs are affected by the decision.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
1 hour ago, ftb_fml said:

Wow - didn't expect that although I suppose it's hardly surprising given the general state of things..

Not saying I was expecting this either but doing a bit of digging - It's old.  Its had a good run.  Its a success story really - over 3 million cars made.

"Triumph Acclaim: the first collaboration between BL cars and Honda in the early 80s heralded a new era for car production in Swindon, the
success of which directly influenced the Japanese car giant's decision to build a factory here in 1985"

https://www.pcubed.com/bulletins/lifecycle-manufacturing-plant-birth-old-age

"Renewal and Death: Accepting the Inevitable
 As in life, there reaches a point in every business and factory where the original going concern is no longer justified. There are very few high-performing plants that remain from 1980s boom."

HOLA4417

This is an interesting flip side to all these trade deals we will be doing in future. As i understand it the EU have recently removed tariffs on goods coming in from Japan. This removed a large incentive for Honda to base in the UK (or the EU). The more international trade deals we sign as Brexit evolves (or if we stay in the EU or the CU, that the EU sign) the more chance there is of this kind of activity increasing.

In a tariff free environment I only see two costs that will impact a companies decision where to manufacture their goods, the cost of shipping, and the relative cost vs quality of producing in low wage environments like Romania or Brazil (like Renault for example)

Actually i can see a third reason. The Govt just made it very clear how much cash they were willing to bung Nissan not to shut their warehouse. they've set a dangerous precedent there

Its not just cars, there are many other Japanese industries producing goods in the UK. I live a mile from a Mitsubishi factory producing Air Con units in Livingston. I'd imagine shipping those nice, small, boxy units its cheaper and easier and cheaper than shipping cars.

Edited by regprentice

HOLA4418
25 minutes ago, regprentice said:

This is an interesting flip side to all these trade deals we will be doing in future. As i understand it the EU have recently removed tariffs on goods coming in from Japan. This removed a large incentive for Honda to base in the UK (or the EU). The more international trade deals we sign as Brexit evolves (or if we stay in the EU or the CU, that the EU sign) the more chance there is of this kind of activity increasing.

In a tariff free environment I only see two costs that will impact a companies decision where to manufacture their goods, the cost of shipping, and the relative cost vs quality of producing in low wage environments like Romania or Brazil (like Renault for example)

Actually i can see a third reason. The Govt just made it very clear how much cash they were willing to bung Nissan not to shut their warehouse. they've set a dangerous precedent there

Its not just cars, there are many other Japanese industries producing goods in the UK. I live a mile from a Mitsubishi factory producing Air Con units in Livingston. I'd imagine shipping those nice, small, boxy units its cheaper and easier and cheaper than shipping cars.

its happening in a lot of industries. I know of a large company which shut its UK manufacturing two years ago and relocated a lot of it to Romania and Brazil. the quality has gone down and we end up with a lot of rework but it is still cheaper for the manufacturer to do this. A race to the bottom and I am not sure how this will be stopped

HOLA4419
13 hours ago, hotblack42 said:

Not saying I was expecting this either but doing a bit of digging - It's old.  Its had a good run.  Its a success story really - over 3 million cars made.

"Triumph Acclaim: the first collaboration between BL cars and Honda in the early 80s heralded a new era for car production in Swindon, the
success of which directly influenced the Japanese car giant's decision to build a factory here in 1985"

https://www.pcubed.com/bulletins/lifecycle-manufacturing-plant-birth-old-age

"Renewal and Death: Accepting the Inevitable
 As in life, there reaches a point in every business and factory where the original going concern is no longer justified. There are very few high-performing plants that remain from 1980s boom."

It was built to allow them to access the EU market without having to pay tariffs.

The new trade deal between the EU and Japan will remove those tariffs so the reason for the plants existence has gone. We can expect all of the other Japanese assembly plants in the UK to be closed over the next few years.

I love the local MPs insistence that this was nothing to do with Brexit. Well nothing apart from Brexit removing the UK's say/veto over the terms of the EU trade deal.   

HOLA4420
1 hour ago, regprentice said:

Indeed Sony and Panasonic have already made announcements about shrinking/closing plants in the UK.

This particular tariff free environment only came about because the UK was excluded from the negotiation after we decided to leave the EU. Until then the negotiations were deadlocked because most of the cost of lifting tariffs fell on the UK. Without us on board it became much easier for the EU and Japan to agree a Win Win deal.

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
13 hours ago, A third of everything said:

Better bathrooms in administration... guess without the cheap refurb btl brigade they felt the pinch

This was posted on a property trader facebook group, First few replies were suggesting that it presented a great opportunity to stock up for pence in the pound from the administrators. 

HOLA4425