House Price Crash Forum

What / Who will collapse first in 2019

reddog

HOLA441
23 minutes ago, bear.getting.old said:

Yes retail seems to be the solution that many like. Take depressed town, build new shopping centre. Add the usual Mc Donalds, Costa, Starbucks, Primark (one very successful shop BTW), John Lewis, Waitrose, PC World, B&Q, TGI Fridays, Pizza Express, Greggs, the list goes on.... put in new roads and build new houses. Suddenly depressed town is trendy and cool and local economy up. At the moment though... its's on the edge. When the recession comes god knows how these places will fare

My home town of Birmingham has the world's largest Primark.  Believe it or not this is touted in the media as some sort of achievement.

There was a time when Birmingham had the world's largest factory (Fort Dunlop) but now we've gone one better....we have the world's largest Primark!!

Edited by reddog

• Replies 672
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
16 hours ago, bear.getting.old said:

Yes retail seems to be the solution that many like. Take depressed town, build new shopping centre. Add the usual Mc Donalds, Costa, Starbucks, Primark (one very successful shop BTW), John Lewis, Waitrose, PC World, B&Q, TGI Fridays, Pizza Express, Greggs, the list goes on.... put in new roads and build new houses. Suddenly depressed town is trendy and cool and local economy up. At the moment though... its's on the edge. When the recession comes god knows how these places will fare

Have you not been to very successful town centers...they have none of the above except one.... the local councils want other better ways of attracting people into town.?

Edited by winkie

HOLA444

Mamas & Papas has collapsed into administration with six store closures.

The retailer has made 73 staff redundant, with 54 further jobs at risk at head office.

Bluegem Capital, which has owned the business since 2014, has bought the company assets back through a pre-pack administration which will cut some of its financial liabilities.

Article share tools

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

Don't you remember? It went into administration in 2012, then was bought by Lakeshore Lending Limited, a subsidiary of card maker American Greetings. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-18356057

If they are still the owners today, don't know. You can't rely on the media for very accurate reporting.

We keep getting these rescuers of zombie shops and a few years down the line they are still in trouble. I don't understand the logic. Are these buyers just asset strippers or have an illusion that under their management they can turn the shops around to profit because they are so much better at it?

Edited by bear.getting.old

HOLA448
21 hours ago, The Preacherman said:

I'm amazed that Clintons has lasted this long. 

£3 plus for a folded piece of card + postage.....that and smiths I don't know how they can realistically survive into the future.....you could buy or make a nice present for that...few write postcards these days, but I did buy one for 30 cents.....the postage cost £1.40......a text or phone call is free.......good to talk.?

HOLA449
18 hours ago, winkie said:

£3 plus for a folded piece of card + postage

The problem with Clinton's is that their cards are just rubbish - the "funny" ones aren't funny, the soppy ones are too soppy and the sort I like to send they don't sell. 

Yet another example of the Woolworths / Debenhams issue - everyone's heard of Clinton's but no-one actually shops there.

Won't miss them if they go.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
2 hours ago, scottbeard said:

The problem with Clinton's is that their cards are just rubbish - the "funny" ones aren't funny, the soppy ones are too soppy and the sort I like to send they don't sell. 

Yet another example of the Woolworths / Debenhams issue - everyone's heard of Clinton's but no-one actually shops there.

They assume that everyone is an alcoholic and/or a golf fanatic. Finding a basic 'get well soon' card to an ill family member that you like and respect should not be difficult.

HOLA4412
6 minutes ago, Diver Dan said:

They assume that everyone is an alcoholic and/or a golf fanatic. Finding a basic 'get well soon' card to an ill family member that you like and respect should not be difficult.

So weird how card designers are obsessed with gin.

The alternative is Scribbler who just sell cards screaming obscenities. 

HOLA4413
2 hours ago, scottbeard said:

If sending cards was an up and coming pastime there would be a good reason to go there....perhaps older relatives appreciate a nice card on their birthday but other than that there are other ways to recognise and celebrate a particular event.....Christmas time might be a time when a few cards might be sent to people that might not see throughout the year, old friends and far-off family.....it is charity cards that are more popular, especially local charities.......anyway ofte card shops smell a bit musty and are stayed, the other things they sell are very over priced......other suppliers are available.?

Idea.....post offices are becoming ever more popular now we can cash and pay in for all banks......improving foot flow, a parcel point and collection.......they should bring a selection of quality cards sold with postage included in the price.

HOLA4414
6 minutes ago, PeanutButter said:

So weird how card designers are obsessed with gin.

The alternative is Scribbler who just sell cards screaming obscenities. 

Gin, and comically taking the piss out of elderly people. 

I found a website called the comedy card company, and when you go through all their publishers, there's a handful of clever gems to be found. I use them, and browse of an occasional evening, buying about 5 at once for friends and family etc. 

HOLA4415

The flavoured gin fad......any plain gin can be made flavoured with any liquor or even fruit juice such as elderflower cordinal that can be made for pennies.....there is only one tonic, Indian tonic......whoever thought of marketing flavoured tonic and flavoured gin to the masses deserves everything they get.....not everyone will fall for it....?

HOLA4416

Surprised to see national treasure Eddie Stobart in trouble. They've been pushed into a corner by private equity and forced to take lending at an interest rate of 25%, that's eye watering... Though apparently it drops to just 18% when the takeover is complete. 

https://www.sharesmagazine.co.uk/news/shares/why-eddie-stobart-shareholders-face-big-losses

HOLA4417
On 12/11/2019 at 15:38, Orb said:

Gin, and comically taking the piss out of elderly people. 

I found a website called the comedy card company, and when you go through all their publishers, there's a handful of clever gems to be found. I use them, and browse of an occasional evening, buying about 5 at once for friends and family etc. 

Thanks I just ordered 3 from there (I take you mean comedycard.co.uk)

HOLA4418
4 hours ago, Arpeggio said:

Thanks I just ordered 3 from there (I take you mean comedycard.co.uk)

Just took a look at that site, seem quite funny, unlike some of the ones you see in the shops (who take funny to mean, making an offensive comment against the recipient)

Edited by reddog

HOLA4419
  • 3 weeks later...
HOLA4420

Eddie Stobart transport firm teeters on brink of collapse

Up to 6,500 jobs at risk as shareholders prepare to vote on company’s future

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/dec/05/eddie-stobart-transport-firm-teeters-on-brink-of-collapse

overexpansion ?  seeing their trucks everywhere on mway.

They supplied amazon. I now see amazons own branded trailers more often. ES were fools to rely on Amazon biz if that was the case 

PE vampires appear to suck them dry , load up with debt & then return with pay day lender level apr % loans bailout offer ... parasitic scum  

..He then sold off the original Eddie Stobart Logistics (trucking and warehousing) arm in 2014 to private equity firm Douglas Bay Capital, (DBay) who put William Stobart in charge.

Under William’s leadership, Eddie Stobart made numerous acquisitions in e-commerce and building materials transport. The company floated again on London’s junior market in 2017, with investors including former star fund manager Neil Woodford piling in.

The float earned DBay, founded by private equity investors Saki Riffner and Alex Paiusco, a windfall of more than £150m.

However, mounting debt, poor cash collection, lower earnings and accounting problems have endangered the jobs of thousands of workers in warehouses and trucks across the UK.

In August, the company delayed publication of its financial results and said it was investigating multiple accounting issues. Its shares have been suspended ever since and Eddie Stobart’s banks – AIB, BNP Paribas, Bank of Ireland and KBC – are hovering for repayment of their loans.

The company’s board said it desperately needed cash to tide it over the busy Christmas period. DBay has returned to the table with an offer of a £75m bailout but with loans at interest rates as high as 25%.

In return, it would gain majority control over Eddie Stobart’s operating company, in an unusual structure that has drawn criticism from shareholders and unions. William Stobart, who left at the time of the float, would also be brought back to run the business.

Lined up against him is Tinkler, who said he could secure £80m in equity fundraising from friends and investors...

Unite’s national officer for road transport, Adrian Jones, said: “This deal provides no certainty beyond the very short term for the workforce who are set to be the latest victims of ‘bandit capitalism’.”

A report commissioned by Unite by consultants Syndex, said the cash injection after the banks have been repaid could be as low as £15m. This would be less than the £24m paid out to shareholders in a dividend earlier this year.

DBay, which hopes to take control of Eddie Stobart for the second time in three years, declined to respond to the union’s criticism.

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
14 hours ago, Timbuk3 said:

Ted Baker seems to be on way out this morning. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50725571

The more time goes on the more I struggle to see how there will be any high street shops left in a few years time - people buy so much on the internet that whether it’s shirts, electricals or groceries there just seems no room for a business model that includes bricks and mortar stores.

Clothes are one of the few things I still like to buy in physical shops, but I feel I’m starting to be in the minority now...

HOLA4423