House Price Crash Forum

Energy prices through the roof

HOLA441
2 minutes ago, 14stFlyer said:

Interesting point this Winkie. Law of unintended consequences and all that. What happens if we have a big “space weather” event or if we have a sudden drop off in strength of Earth’s Magnetic Field?  We could find we have a catastrophic failure of electricity provision and no recourse to any other energy supply…

2 minutes ago, 14stFlyer said:

Interesting point this Winkie. Law of unintended consequences and all that. What happens if we have a big “space weather” event or if we have a sudden drop off in strength of Earth’s Magnetic Field?  We could find we have a catastrophic failure of electricity provision and no recourse to any other energy supply…

A catastrophic event could be both natural or man-made.;)

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

Energy bills to rise more than predicted, says Ofgem boss

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-62123691

"Jonathan Brearley said in late May that a typical household would pay £800 a year more from October. But, while giving evidence to MPs, he said it was "clear" that estimate for winter bills now looked too lowThe original figure was used by ministers when deciding how much to pay in direct assistance this winter.

One industry analyst has predicted a rise of more than £1,200 a year in October. Cornwall Insight said that the typical domestic customer was likely to pay £3,244 a year from October, then £3,363 a year from January. The typical bill at present is about £2,000 a year. In itself, this was a rise of £700 a year in April, compared with the previous six months".

HOLA443
43 minutes ago, fellow said:

Cornwall Insight said that the typical domestic customer was likely to pay £3,244 a year from October, then £3,363 a year from January

It's nice of the 'powers that be' to switch to 3 monthly price caps, not 6 monthly.

It means they can pass on price rises much quicker to everyone.

HOLA444
23 hours ago, Riedquat said:

Well LED lights have sensitive electronic components in them so I can't imagine they'll work well with low voltage (unless you've explicitly fitted ones for dimmer switches). Tungsten bulbs would just dim a bit but LEDs are more complicated beasts. Ones I actually like, but they do have some minor downsides.

LED bulbs need a constant voltage, the dimmer function is achievable via PWM which is Pulse Width Modulation. 
It going to be fun this winter!

I don’t think that viewing figures for the World Cup will be as anticipated 

HOLA445

These energy price increases are actually very scary. There doesn't seem to be any solution, and you'd think the governments usual solutions - tax the middle paye workers / print more money would only make the problem worse, as even people in the middle are going to struggle with this.

What actually happens here? Is this going to force a serious rethink on how we all live, or are we just going to get more sadface tabloid stories?

HOLA446
1 hour ago, fellow said:

Energy bills to rise more than predicted, says Ofgem boss

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-62123691

"Jonathan Brearley said in late May that a typical household would pay £800 a year more from October. But, while giving evidence to MPs, he said it was "clear" that estimate for winter bills now looked too lowThe original figure was used by ministers when deciding how much to pay in direct assistance this winter.

One industry analyst has predicted a rise of more than £1,200 a year in October. Cornwall Insight said that the typical domestic customer was likely to pay £3,244 a year from October, then £3,363 a year from January. The typical bill at present is about £2,000 a year. In itself, this was a rise of £700 a year in April, compared with the previous six months".

Looks like we are going  back to the Brexiteers perfect vision of the 1960s, half your money on food and the rest on heating, only thing missing is cheap beer in pubs and an outside crapper.  Wonder how even the so called middle class will fare with 4 bedrooms, 3 tvs on at once, 2 leased cars in the drive and a mega mortgage.   Bring back  coal fires I say and reinstate the miners that Maggie sacked.

HOLA447
9 minutes ago, cbathpc said:

These energy price increases are actually very scary. There doesn't seem to be any solution, and you'd think the governments usual solutions - tax the middle paye workers / print more money would only make the problem worse, as even people in the middle are going to struggle with this.

What actually happens here? Is this going to force a serious rethink on how we all live, or are we just going to get more sadface tabloid stories?

The current government and all their aspiring PMs to be are clueless about the real economy and its relationship to the real people who are actually and they should be governing for.  Its all on paper to them, money transfers to  cronies and tax havens and cuts in corporate tax (will make no difference to business but massive difference to anyone earing less than a mega wage).  The middle will struggle, the 50% beneath the middle will suffer from  being cold and penniless to destitution for the bottom 20% (either that or the landlords take their fair share of the pain)

Edited by steve99

HOLA448

Moneysavingexpert review with Cornwall Insight's figures: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/-are-there-any-cheap--fixed-energy-deals-currently-worth-it--/

So let's get to the nub of this. This is about whether there's a deal likely to be cheaper than the price cap if we look over the next year. For that, clearly there need to be fixes you can lock into that are cheaper than the expected October price cap. And there are.

So if we factor in three months on the current rate, three at October's, three at January's and three at April's, and adjust for higher use in the winter, if the predictions are right, on average you'll pay 57% more over the next year than you do now. Of course, some of this is crystal-ball gazing and averaging, but overall my best guess, as a rule of thumb, is...

If you're offered a year's fix at no more than 55% above your current price-capped tariff, or 60% more if you very strongly value budgeting certainty, it's worth considering.

This isn't an exact science – do watch my video explainer from a couple of months ago if you want to understand more. Fixing below this point is still not a slam dunk, I can't promise I've got this right, there are too many unknowns, just that this is my best-guess with the information I have at the moment.

HOLA449
11 hours ago, Roman Roady said:

LED bulbs need a constant voltage, the dimmer function is achievable via PWM which is Pulse Width Modulation. 
It going to be fun this winter!

I don’t think that viewing figures for the World Cup will be as anticipated 

Most will work on any voltage between 85 and 270VAC.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
10 hours ago, reddog said:

My solution would be to start fracking, and loosen up planning rules for other forms of oil and gas extraction.

The problem with fracking is people only want it until a fracking well is planned anywhere near their home.

HOLA4412
22 hours ago, steve99 said:

The current government and all their aspiring PMs to be are clueless about the real economy and its relationship to the real people who are actually and they should be governing for.  Its all on paper to them, money transfers to  cronies and tax havens and cuts in corporate tax (will make no difference to business but massive difference to anyone earing less than a mega wage).  The middle will struggle, the 50% beneath the middle will suffer from  being cold and penniless to destitution for the bottom 20% (either that or the landlords take their fair share of the pain)

The middle who feel kinda well off will suffer the most if energy prices get out of hand.......it is like going back in time, rent food and fuel will take up much of an income.........like we look out for those now feeling the heatwave soon we will be looking out for those feeling the cold.;)

HOLA4413
2 minutes ago, winkie said:

The middle who feel kinda well off will suffer the most if energy prices get out of hand.......it is like going back in time, rent food and fuel will take up much of an income.........like we look out for those now feeling the heatwave soon we will be looking out for those feeling the cold.;)

Well the good news is there will be less money to prop up house prices 

HOLA4414
23 hours ago, cbathpc said:

Most people I know seem to carrying on partying, holidaying, no shortage of people eating out and at theme parks/other leisure stuff. Must be plenty of money around, either that or people have no idea of the iceberg they are about to get hit by. Not sure what the answer is and the government are clueless, cutting corporation tax seems to be all they are interested in 

HOLA4415
On 7/12/2022 at 9:14 AM, FivePoundLatte said:

It's nice of the 'powers that be' to switch to 3 monthly price caps, not 6 monthly.

It means they can pass on price rises much quicker to everyone.

Good old tories

No doubt will switch it back to 6 monthly if there is a hint of price falls

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
7 hours ago, fellow said:

The problem with fracking is people only want it until a fracking well is planned anywhere near their home.

The problems with fracking in the UK include

the public don't want it 

there are no proven commercially exploitable deposits

it would be near impossible to gain planning permission for the thousands of wells needed to make      a difference 

we have no fracking industry or infrastructure 

Assuming all the above could be overcome it would still take +20yrs to develop the industry. As a result Fracking is a no more relevant to our short/medium term energy needs than the idea that we are going to build dozens of nuclear plants all over the country.      

Edited by Confusion of VIs

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

I've been following the live UK grid generation figures for a while now. Ok, I admit it's so I can tell green-washed electric car drivers that they're on a cloudy, clam day they're actually running their vehicle on gas (or often coal). I try to stop myself doing it now - they are often just too dumb to understand.

Anyway, today's interesting news is that the UK has recently started exporting a chunk of it's generation to France (2.5GW). Usually we'd import - is this because of the gas crisis in Europe as Nord Stream shuts down for "essential maintenance"?

It will be interesting to see how this mix changes over time...

PNG image.png

HOLA4422
30 minutes ago, Tom_Herts17 said:

I've been following the live UK grid generation figures for a while now. Ok, I admit it's so I can tell green-washed electric car drivers that they're on a cloudy, clam day they're actually running their vehicle on gas (or often coal). I try to stop myself doing it now - they are often just too dumb to understand.

Anyway, today's interesting news is that the UK has recently started exporting a chunk of it's generation to France (2.5GW). Usually we'd import - is this because of the gas crisis in Europe as Nord Stream shuts down for "essential maintenance"?

It will be interesting to see how this mix changes over time...

PNG image.png

French nuclear power stations are shut because they are dangerous 

HOLA4423

Had a nightmare with British gas changing to British gas energy. Didn't register I swapped to Price promise Sept 2022 (1 year fix), called them about it March 2022 still didn't do what was needed so called back again today, got the Price promise Sept 2022 now but from March 2022 - end of March 2023.

Joint bill £129/month. Think that'll be a win considering the October shock due.

HOLA4424

decided to panic early. I bought 600kgs coal and 4 tons of kiln dried logs. £850. 

Last time  I heard Coal was £400 a ton, so how much is wood for a ton. Will that be your winter sorted ?? Where are you? 

I am a bit of  a1/2 glass empty type of guy nad  think its going to be very grim this winter lets hope for a mild one.

HOLA4425