House Price Crash Forum

Energy prices through the roof

HOLA441

Last year I paid £40 and had elec and gas covered. 

I am on a standard tariff now, it’s June and I will need to pay £130. 

410 kWh for elec and my gas meter went up by just 1 digit. 

I don’t have kids, how much are people with 2/3 kids paying now? 

Edited by NoHPCinTheUK

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443

We’re a couple in an average mid 1930’s semi. 
During covid stopped using the iron (no work shirts!) no tumble dryer or hairdryer and got it down to £24 month.
Now we’re at £77 month with Bulb. Anticipating a £100 in October. We can afford it but it’s a big difference.
We’re also on oil and that’s £1080 for 1000 litres. Was £385 during covid! Lasts us about 7months. Our monthly energy costs are up hugely and we’re very frugal.

HOLA444
HOLA445

It's brilliant isn't. Prices going through the roof. 

I own energy shares, lots of them, 10% divides and prices up 100% in 2 years. 

Wish I'd bought more. 

Buy energy shares before you lose out. They're not making any more fossil fuels, energy prices only go up. 

That's how it feels to non homeowners you bunch of ignorant boomer thieves. 

I hope 1000s suffer in their freezing cold 6 bed houses like homeless British young 

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
1 minute ago, Si1 said:

Are there any cheap fixed mortgage deals 

Oh, the fecking irony. 

Im coining it in via energy shares, why are people with BTL portfolios and massive houses not happy for me

HOLA449

Small 4 bed: 2 adults 2 kids.
Recent wall insulation (80s build), new double glassing doors n widows, thick loft insulation.
Smart meters for usage data visibility.
Consumption:
    Electric 5500 kWh/year
    Gas 24000 kWh/year - Central Heating/Hot Water Tank
April 2021 £115/month DD (£1400/yr)

Avero went bust, moved to Octopus cap rates.
    Elec: 27.86p/kWh;  47.86p/day Standing charge
    Gas:  07.36p/kWh, 27.22p/day  Standing charge
April 2022 £252/month DD (£3600/yr estimated)

Wait until the Autumn 2022 price uplift!

Edited by DarkHorseWaits-NoMore
add detail

HOLA4410
8 minutes ago, DarkHorseWaits-NoMore said:

Small 4 bed: 2 adults 2 kids.
Recent wall insulation (80s build), new double glassing doors n widows, thick loft insulation.
Smart meters for usage data visibility.
Consumption:
    Electric 5500 kWh/year
    Gas 24000 kWh/year - Central Heating/Hot Water Tank
April 2021 £115/month DD (£1400/yr)

Avero went bust, moved to Octopus cap rates.
    Elec: 27.86p/kWh;  47.86p/day Standing charge
    Gas:  07.36p/kWh, 27.22p/day  Standing charge
April 2022 £252/month DD (£3600/yr estimated)

Wait until the Autumn 2022 price uplift!

Holy mackerel!!

HOLA4411

Wow some of your bills are tiny. I luckily took a 2 year fix October 21 so my rates are quite reasonably but I’m still paying £200/mo. October 23 scares me as at the forecast rates of Oct 22 I’d be paying £400-£450 a month so if they keep increasing then come Oct 23 it could be crazy. I do have a 6 bed, 3000 sq ft house but that’s hardly a mansion.

2 young kids. 

Edited by dirtysteve

HOLA4412
2 hours ago, NoHPCinTheUK said:

We have 2 kids and live in a draughty Victorian house. A normal year would’ve been £1400 for gas /elec. Thanks only to an incredibly mild winter however we’re been paying less these last 12 months.

Our tariffs went up 10% when we fixed for 2 years in Sept 2021. So if we get a more normal winter then it’ll be equivalent of £136 per month.

HOLA4413
5 hours ago, Pmax2020 said:

Our tariffs went up 10% when we fixed for 2 years in Sept 2021. So if we get a more normal winter then it’ll be equivalent of £136 per month.

New tariff went up 30% from existing fixed tariff that just happened to expire then, early days of talking about energy prices rising and coming up October cap ending , the new tariff was a three year fixed, the most expensive tariff at the time, a bit of a gamble, the cancellation charges during the term were reasonable so that swayed it.;)

HOLA4414

Prices have gone up across the channel, but we have the 4% cap for the moment.

We're a family of four in a good sized, old stone house. At the start of the year our monthly bills were quite a bit higher than 2021, but we realised we had a second fridge we don't use, and we don't always need the boiler on every day, so we brought it down to about 55 euros a month (£47 ish), and have so far consumed 94 euros less over a six month period. 

I feel for those in the UK who are hit the hardest. When winter comes around the proverbial will really hit the fan, and I don't see 2023 being better.

electric.jpg

HOLA4415

Avro went bust was paying 110 a month with them . Got moved to octopus who would like me to pay 375 a month please. I looked at my usage and I am still in credit so dropped back to 150 a month. They always overestimate because it’s better for them. Wonder when the 400 from the government drops or will it be like the 40 hospitals ie non existent 

HOLA4416
9 hours ago, NoHPCinTheUK said:

I think there is something wrong in my readings. We’re a couple and we cannot really consume all this elec

Towel rail left on? 

HOLA4417
9 hours ago, dirtysteve said:

Wow some of your bills are tiny. I luckily took a 2 year fix October 21 so my rates are quite reasonably but I’m still paying £200/mo. October 23 scares me as at the forecast rates of Oct 22 I’d be paying £400-£450 a month so if they keep increasing then come Oct 23 it could be crazy. I do have a 6 bed, 3000 sq ft house but that’s hardly a mansion.

2 young kids. 

Mine is £360 by Direct Debit. 

But my house is quite large. 

Edited by Mikhail Liebenstein

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
10 hours ago, NoHPCinTheUK said:

You'll get £400 in October so that's 4-5 months covered. But then the price cap will go up another 50%. . . . .

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
29 minutes ago, hurlerontheditch said:

standing charges are a joke. they need to reduce them and increase price per unit so if people reduce power usage they see a tangible reduction in their bill

AIUI because of the price cap all energy companies have been making losses supplying domestic users for at least a year. The prid pro quo from the Govt was that as the price cap rose, and maybe energy wholesale costs eventually fell, companies could recover those losses in the future. Also AIUI those losses would be recovered via high standing charges, so that the recovery of losses would not be related to future energy costs.

HOLA4422
3 hours ago, winkie said:

New tariff went up 30% from existing fixed tariff that just happened to expire then, early days of talking about energy prices rising and coming up October cap ending , the new tariff was a three year fixed, the most expensive tariff at the time, a bit of a gamble, the cancellation charges during the term were reasonable so that swayed it.;)

I only took the dearer deal because there were no exit fees and £60 worth of Nectar points. Glad I did now. 

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

Ireland, west, rural tariff (slightly more than urban) with nightsaver

Day rate (9-midnight) €0.275/kWh was 0.20 I think going up 11% next month 

Night rate €0.136 was 0.10 last year

Standing charge is about a 1.2euro a day, I think pso levy is going away this autumn (government charges for renewables)

vat of 9% on top of all

I have solar pv and battery for last two years and solar water pipes for last dozen, oil heating and wooden stove in a 4 bed detached house, heat recovery system and is triple glazed and well insulated (A3 rated) as I built it, oil heating for winter and closed wood/turf stove (have turf rights with land)

Since I have inverter I have exact usage stats

2011 total used 11654 kWh of which 4563 kWh was on solar, exactly 2/3rds usage is on night rate as in winter sometime also charge battery at night to use during day when it’s not sunny (wrote some code to edit controller settings depending on met forecast 😃)

Oil maybe 1000L every year and half 

electric usage was half but then both cars went plug-in hybrid 

wood and turf free from own land (tho Greens in government trying to kill turf burning)

It’s hard to provide month to month as my usage is so variable due to solar and prices per unit went up 50% this year and then there was government bribe of few hundred for all, also switching to electric cars had massive reduction on petrol bills 

759A8EA0-4F48-439B-838D-47A1945F12F3.thumb.jpeg.af3312798f793015e4ee6b929a7bc7e1.jpeg

Edited by yelims

HOLA4425
1 hour ago, hurlerontheditch said:

standing charges are a joke. they need to reduce them and increase price per unit so if people reduce power usage they see a tangible reduction in their bill

Yes a complete joke, there is no reason why standing charges should have increased so much recently, something doesn't add up.....what we could do like other countries do is have a cheaper electricity tariffs for all at the weekend and/or during the night, would help even out usage over 24/7 period......might encourage people for example to do washing, charge car or do other jobs/hobbies over the weekend?;)