• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
3 minutes ago, Si1 said:

I'm amazed I'm asking this, but is anyone doing just a little bit of prepping now just incase?

(Simple stuff like buying a battery short wave radio, making sure you have water containers)

I'm seriously considering solar panels with battery storage. That's all really.

Payback is much faster now.

HOLA445
1 minute ago, Chunketh said:

Nope. If a full scale nuclear exchange happens everyone dies eventually.

My plan is to be vaporised in the garden. 

I live near an army base ie 10 miles.

During the Cold War (1970’s) my dad would reassure us that we were close enough that we would see the light, turn to ash and then hear the noise. Flash, Ash, Boom.

I think bad humour is how we genuinely dealt with it.

In the event of a less nuclear end….I am genuinely preparing by sorting out the finances and investments. Governments are buying physical gold…I keep thinking about it and it’s on the list.

Genuine answer is I buy any food that’s reduce (that I buy normally) so if baked beans are cheap I buy 4 tins. More of an inflation tip than survival really 

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
16 minutes ago, Speed1987 said:

Yeah. They'll fully charge in 10 seconds thanks to nuclear energy.

HOLA449
1 hour ago, Pop321 said:

I live near an army base ie 10 miles.

During the Cold War (1970’s) my dad would reassure us that we were close enough that we would see the light, turn to ash and then hear the noise. Flash, Ash, Boom.

I think bad humour is how we genuinely dealt with it.

In the event of a less nuclear end….I am genuinely preparing by sorting out the finances and investments. Governments are buying physical gold…I keep thinking about it and it’s on the list.

Genuine answer is I buy any food that’s reduce (that I buy normally) so if baked beans are cheap I buy 4 tins. More of an inflation tip than survival really 

My bad humour, semi serious, was the need to install poison gas cylinders in your nuclear bunker so that when the local council come to requisition it, you press the release button, wait a few minutes, hit the purge fans and drag the bodies out. 

HOLA4410
1 hour ago, Si1 said:

I'm amazed I'm asking this, but is anyone doing just a little bit of prepping now just incase?

(Simple stuff like buying a battery short wave radio, making sure you have water containers)

I'm hording new BTL properties. There is going to be huge demand for additional housing.

This time next year, Rodney..

HOLA4411
2 hours ago, Speed1987 said:

I already have solars, the cost of the batteries is absolutely ridiculous and the system needs installing by a cert. Electrician as well! 

Payback is like 10+ years which is probably the lifespan of the battery 

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
1 hour ago, Nomadd said:

I'm hording new BTL properties. There is going to be huge demand for additional housing.

This time next year, Rodney..

Yup. ^ that’s my idea for this year too. Boomers die, kids get money (less IHT yay!), kids by flats and starter homes because that’s all they can afford and they loves the newbuilds in my gen because they’re useless with a wrench and shiny new just like their pcp cars.  

Probs a good time to be a tradesman for the foreseeable 5-20 years 

Edited by Money Frugality

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

A couple of months worth of 25yr freeze dried tins, and a bag of water purification tablets.

And gold and silver for bartering with the horse militia.

No bunker sadly 😞

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
4 hours ago, Chunketh said:

Nope. If a full scale nuclear exchange happens everyone dies eventually.

My plan is to be vaporised in the garden. 

It's not a given - depends how close you are to the epicentre - could be an instant death or a slow one. If you're far enough away you have 10-15 minutes to take shelter before the radioactive dust settles. You need to try and stay there for at least 48 hours, and you'll stand a good chance. If the dust has already settled before you find shelter, remove your clothes (seal them up in a bag), and get a shower - use soap and shampoo, but not conditioner - apparently it can end up binding the radioactive particles to your hair.

Check out Tsutomu Yamaguchi, born 1916, died 2010 and survived two atomic blasts despite serious radiation burns.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
3 minutes ago, Postman said:

I have a machete, an airgun for small game, water purification tablets enough for 20,000 litres and a month's worth of dried food in storage. Not that any of that would do any good in case of a nuclear bomb.

That’s why I asked the OP what exactly he is talking about prepping FOR.

Is it a recession, an energy crisis, food shortages or a nuclear war?  

The response to each is different.

We might get all or none of them. 

HOLA4425