Baby shortage - UK economic decline

HOLA441
  • Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
41 minutes ago, PeanutButter said:

You shouldn't have to justify not having kids. It's 2021 and I can't believe people still try and pressure others on this issue. 

https://www.worldometers.info/world-population/

Totally agree. I support this charity: https://populationmatters.org/

I have chosen not to have children, and I am quite content with the decision. I am hiking highland mountains this week which can be awful in bad weather but stunningly beautiful on a better day. The world isn't all bad.  

If I reach old age, I expect to have robots to help. Again, the Japanese are ahead of the curve there.

HOLA443
43 minutes ago, Quicken said:

Totally agree. I support this charity: https://populationmatters.org/

I have chosen not to have children, and I am quite content with the decision. I am hiking highland mountains this week which can be awful in bad weather but stunningly beautiful on a better day. The world isn't all bad.  

If I reach old age, I expect to have robots to help. Again, the Japanese are ahead of the curve there.

We've spent decades developing greater levels of productivity, we can provide the essentials with massively fewer people involved in working on them (compare the number of people working in agriculture in the UK to 100 years ago, and that was with a much smaller population then) - we shouldn't even need the robots, even with a big demographic shift.

HOLA444
7 hours ago, btl_hater said:

A significant number of young couples seem to have replaced having children with having these weird hybrid dogs and calling them their baby.

From the couples I know, a pet is a precursor to children. A bit like how cohabitation is seen as the precursor to marriage.

HOLA445
HOLA446

I am really enjoying having my kids around at the minute. Not the visceral on the breast stuff - they are just great fun to be with.  A bit like the dog, but more so.  I guess I have made the ethical decision that the world is a better place with them in it, despite the fact they are using some of Earth’s limited resources.  

Mind you, there will be a significant economic benefit for me when they leave… and I will get my Saturdays and Sundays back!

HOLA447
  • 3 weeks later...
HOLA448

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10091471/Number-babies-born-foreign-mothers-hit-record-high-year.html

Last year's lowest birth rate since 1938 is being blamed on the COVID pandemic and cost of living increases but, anyone born in 2020 would have been conceived in March at the latest, before the lockdown started. What is the birthrate going to look like for 2021 when the effects of COVID, lockdowns, financial uncertainty, unknown vaccine side effects etc. actually kick in?

HOLA449
HOLA4410
On 22/09/2021 at 17:19, ucnvpe0 said:

From the couples I know, a pet is a precursor to children. A bit like how cohabitation is seen as the precursor to marriage.

Steve 99 said:

My mother in law's favourite quote. Seems it is common to all Daily Mail readers.

Pets as they reached their end of life are also a great proxy for how the partners will handle ageing parents and in-laws. 

My wife seems to be the no effort spared sort, I'm more in the take them round the back of the woodshed sort. 

Edited by Mikhail Liebenstein

HOLA4411
On 20/09/2021 at 08:56, hurlerontheditch said:

not a bad thing

too many people in the world as it is. world population needs to half

IF some of the supposedly nuttier Covid vaccine conspiracy theorists prove even half way correct then you may just get your wish! :-0

HOLA4412
On 20/09/2021 at 07:54, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

So it appears the UK is on the brink of a major economic decline caused not just by Brexit/C19 etc, but also a demographic time bomb.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2021/sep/20/british-baby-shortage-could-lead-to-economic-decline-says-thinktank

I assume most on the forum know how babies are made, but prior to that it helps if there is a stable family home and that the income of one earner is sufficient to pay expenses. Clearly, many women are forced back into work, but with the high cost of childcare it may also be too expensive.

May be we should give up and join Mumsnet!!!

Anyone know what the UK birth rate has been for 2020?  Given all the doom/gloom/lockdown/etc I would have thought that might have made a big impact on people choosing to have a sprog.

On the other hand all those people stuck at home on furlough with nowt to do....... 😉

HOLA4413
15 hours ago, anonguest said:

Anyone know what the UK birth rate has been for 2020?  Given all the doom/gloom/lockdown/etc I would have thought that might have made a big impact on people choosing to have a sprog.

On the other hand all those people stuck at home on furlough with nowt to do....... 😉

When my wife was pregnant the antenatal appointments at the hospital gave me the impression 8/10 UK births could be attributed to eastern Europeans.

Take them out the mix and UK has a population who simply aren't having children.

HOLA4414
On 22/09/2021 at 15:50, winkie said:

Our parents care for us when young, only right we care for them when they revert back to being child like when they are old and need care from us.......not all old people reach that stage.....not all old people require ongoing care....;)

I'd say it does get close to 1 in 2 needing it, as you go on.

I've lost several friends to dementia (which is the worse thing I've seen). 

Must admit I've considered just ending it if I ever get that way. Dark I know.

HOLA4415
3 hours ago, byron78 said:

I'd say it does get close to 1 in 2 needing it, as you go on.

I've lost several friends to dementia (which is the worse thing I've seen). 

Must admit I've considered just ending it if I ever get that way. Dark I know.

I don't know but not as many as one in two........of course the longer someone lives the higher the risk, the risk is lower if see will nurture mind,body and spirit......exercise the mind, body and spirit.....quality never quantity.;)

HOLA4416
4 hours ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

When my wife was pregnant the antenatal appointments at the hospital gave me the impression 8/10 UK births could be attributed to eastern Europeans.

Take them out the mix and UK has a population who simply aren't having children.

At least quite a few of the Eastern European women are reasonably attractive and might produce aesthetically pleasing kids. There has been a bit of an issue with fully native Brits in some of the more inbred outer-reaches getting a bit fugly. Might that account for the lower fertility rate?

https://thetab.com/2015/07/16/british-people-ugly-45482

HOLA4417
On 20/09/2021 at 20:28, Pmax2020 said:

I like to indulge myself in apocalyptic HPC & Economic doomsday chat as much as the next guy but even the mundane parts of life as well as fleeting moments transcend that burrowing feeing in my mind that the world is ‘just a horrible place’. 

When I’m out running I can enjoy being outdoors away from the pressures of day to day life. I find myself enjoying those minor changes in surroundings as we progress through each season. Running in the frost, snow, rain, or sunshine. You can’t beat it.

You just need to find the things that bring you enjoyment and block out the crappy bits. It’s not easy but it’s worth living for 😝

I run for fun. Not a track road thing and although ‘timed’ and measured Ali don’t pay any attention to performance.  I go through an ancient forest, along side a long river….many other joggers say if I train I could go faster/longer etc. They all now understand I ain’t training, I am not building up for something….I am just running.

The seasons make it fun and without running I actually hated the seasons ie dark nights, cold, constant change, but with running I become part of the cold, rain, snow or heat.

Enjoying the basics…I stumbled across a young fox recently a watched it for a few minutes before it darted away. I had done the same probably 15/20 years ago in the same spot and I realised the birds I could hear and the fox I saw were possible 4th generation (or more) from back then. Made me feel like I was an immortal to them and made me appreciate the life spans we enjoy.

Glad I can run….makes the apocalypse seem a long way away, and when it does come at least I should be able to outrun the zombies. 

HOLA4418
21 hours ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

A lot of them are having babies with British guys or their babies will not have British passports, A member of my peer group ie in his late 50s was offered a relationship including having his baby by a 25ish year old from an EE country as long as he had a house to put in the mix, he did not want to be changing nappies in his sixties so said no, she mentioned EE men in her age group could not offer a house for the family that she wanted 

HOLA4419
19 hours ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

At least quite a few of the Eastern European women are reasonably attractive and might produce aesthetically pleasing kids. There has been a bit of an issue with fully native Brits in some of the more inbred outer-reaches getting a bit fugly. Might that account for the lower fertility rate?

https://thetab.com/2015/07/16/british-people-ugly-45482

I found the locals in Dorset who moved to the bcp area from inland for work are the most miserable/unfriendly and strange people I have ever met.  Not sure if due tio inbreeding but then they have many with gypsie heritage and mix with many Londoners who move down here so no surprise as many Londoners miserable and unfriendly whilst in London so bring that down to the area and then their kids/grandchilds marry a local from dorset and what a mix. 

HOLA4420
7 hours ago, coypondboy said:

I found the locals in Dorset who moved to the bcp area from inland for work are the most miserable/unfriendly and strange people I have ever met.  Not sure if due tio inbreeding but then they have many with gypsie heritage and mix with many Londoners who move down here so no surprise as many Londoners miserable and unfriendly whilst in London so bring that down to the area and then their kids/grandchilds marry a local from dorset and what a mix. 

Yeah, Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole, never found anyone long term happy from there.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
45 minutes ago, Locke said:

And be taken round the back of the woodshed presumably? My father went to brain cancer. I'll take the woodshed any day.

Yes, though even better with a sword in my hand!

Hail, Caesar!