House Price Crash Forum

Car insurance to ROCKET

HOLA441
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

Saw this recently, mine went up from £500 to £650, looked on all comparison websites, Direct line etc coming in at £900+. Called current insurers to tell them a white lie that I had offer of £500 and they matched it instantly. 

They're trying it on like supermarkets.

Edited by Brendan110_0

HOLA443
16 minutes ago, Brendan110_0 said:

Saw this recently, mine went up from £500 to £650, looked on all comparison websites, Direct line etc coming in at £900+. Called current insurers to tell them a white lie that I had offer of £500 and they matched it instantly. 

Good tip

HOLA444
18 minutes ago, Brendan110_0 said:

suprised they didnt ask for evidence. mine went from 520 to 900

HOLA445
HOLA446

Chancers the lot. Asked for a renewal quote based on increased mileage and the operator mistakenly  put it through as an amendment to the original renewal offer. When i asked them to change it back to the original mileage the price went up £300.

HOLA447

It's an absolute pss take.  Especially as you are legally obliged to pay for it.  Should be capped at RPI tops by regulators. 

To make things worse my experience is that you can pay many thousands for car insurance over a long period of time, with no claims, and then after the first minor ding you have they want to just write off your car.

HOLA448

This just prompted me to check mine. 

Your renewal premium this year will be £320.07. Last year your premium was £237.50

Just checked on Quidco compare and it's "£264.30 per year and Cashback £37.00".

HPC, just saved me £92.77! Should buy a fair amount of popcorn

[edit]

Due to all the news reports of insurance "rocketing" I wasn't going to bother checking!

Edited by Wurzel Of Highbridge

HOLA449
42 minutes ago, Wurzel Of Highbridge said:

This just prompted me to check mine. 

Just checked on Quidco compare and it's "£264.30 per year and Cashback £37.00".

HPC, just saved me £92.77! Should buy a fair amount of popcorn

[edit]

Due to all the news reports of insurance "rocketing" I wasn't going to bother checking!

Usually worth checking comparison sites and using cashback.....but i've noticed recently that cashback sites are becoming less reliable for paying out, and often visiting the insurer directly without cookies from the cashback site means the quote is lower buying directly by the exact amount of the cashback.

i once was looking to buy a shirt. At TM lewin and Charles Tyrwhitt the same thing happened...the exact same same shirt was 3 different prices dependant on whether you arrived at its page from 

• an email the company sent you telling you about a discount offer that day
  • a google search for the same shirt
  • from a cashback site - landing on the main page for the retailer then using the sites own search bar to search for the shirt. After cashback the shirt was the same price as it was if i had just searched for it on google. 

all options ended up with roughly the same price. i've largely stopped using cashback sites as its rare they offer the true cheapest price if your willing to do a little work to compare prices and look for discount codes  

i recently waited over 2 years for Topcashback to pay me £4 for visiting a Lego Discovery Centre.  i've just had TCB decline a £35 insurance cashback 2 days short of 2 years after i bought the insurance. No explanation, no comeback, no way to challenge the decline. You simply cant rely on cashback 100%.

Edited by regprentice

HOLA4410
7 minutes ago, regprentice said:

Usually worth checking comparison sites and using cashback.....but i've noticed recently that cashback sites are becoming less reliable for paying out, and often visiting the insurer directly without cookies from the cashback site means the quote is lower buying directly by the exact amount of the cashback.

i once was looking to buy a shirt. At TM lewin and Charles Tyrwhitt the same thing happened...the exact same same shirt was 3 different prices dependant on whether you arrived at its page from 

• from a cashback site - landing on the main page for the retailer then using the sites own search bar to search for the shirt. After cashback the shirt was the same price as it was if i just searched for it on google. 

all options ended up with roughly the same price. i've largely stopped using cashback sites as its rare they offer the true cheapest price if your willing to do a little work to compare prices and look for discount codes  

That's useful to know, cheers!

HOLA4411
10 minutes ago, regprentice said:

• from a cashback site - landing on the main page for the retailer then using the sites own search bar to search for the shirt. After cashback the shirt was the same price as it was if i had just searched for it on google. 

i recently waited over 2 years for Topcashback to pay me £4 for visiting a Lego Discovery Centre.  i've just had TCB decline an insurance cashback 2 days short of 2 years after i bought the insurance. No explanation, no comeback, no way to challenge the decline. You simply cant rely on cashback 100%.

Also given up on them.

Still use the avios e store though, get 4 points or so per £ spent on hotels.com. plus the hotels.com free night after 10 thing.

Adds up with biz travel 

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
2 hours ago, Lord D'arcy Pew said:

Mine has gone from £193.49 to £218.69

Refusing to join the UK reserve panzer corp has its benefits.

I just buy good tyres.

So... a 13% rise. Slightly higher than inflation.  Nothing to gloat about.

But point well taken about the legions of personal vanity 4x4s on the roads.

Edited by anonguest

HOLA4415

Mine actually went down £20 this year, but when you factor in the extra years NCD, it went up £20 in real terms.  

My council parking permit (to park on the public street that is) however..... that went up 75%!!!!!  (£178 last year and this year is £310!!!)

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
3 hours ago, btd1981 said:

It's an absolute pss take.  Especially as you are legally obliged to pay for it.  Should be capped at RPI tops by regulators. 

To make things worse my experience is that you can pay many thousands for car insurance over a long period of time, with no claims, and then after the first minor ding you have they want to just write off your car.

Isn't this just a reflection of the increased cost of repairs? They need to cover their increased projected costs.

HOLA4418
39 minutes ago, fellow said:

Isn't this just a reflection of the increased cost of repairs? They need to cover their increased projected costs.

Repairs, labour, parts and values.....fraud, whiplash claims etc

Couldn't believe it a bog standard exhaust front and middle £400 used to pick them up for £150.;)

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
4 hours ago, regprentice said:

i recently waited over 2 years for Topcashback to pay me £4 for visiting a Lego Discovery Centre.  i've just had TCB decline a £35 insurance cashback 2 days short of 2 years after i bought the insurance. No explanation, no comeback, no way to challenge the decline. You simply cant rely on cashback 100%.

A lot of cashback sites actually do show the same prices you can get direct. You are right though, the cashback is funded through retailer commission which comes out of a marketing budget... so there can often be better codes/discounts available elsewhere funded through marketing budget... which also doesn't require you to wait months to be paid like cashback.

Yeah cashback is absolutely not guaranteed... I would say 20% of the time it doesn't track or is declined for no reason. Best to only use them when you're going to purchase something anyway

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425
7 hours ago, bomberbrown said:

Mine actually went down £20 this year, but when you factor in the extra years NCD, it went up £20 in real terms.  

My council parking permit (to park on the public street that is) however..... that went up 75%!!!!!  (£178 last year and this year is £310!!!)

Councils seem to be doing everything they can to bilk money out of residents. Probably due to the large budget cuts they've had over the years from the Tories.

Did you write and ask if they had a justification for the massive increase?

Edited by dpg50000