House Price Crash Forum

Hurricane forecast on Friday for southern england will it be stronger than the one in 1987

coypondboy

HOLA441
On 16/02/2022 at 18:45, Confusion of VIs said:

On a cruise???

I believe @Grayphilis back at work.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

The Met Office has issued a new red warning for wind - the highest level - to cover London, the South East and parts of the east of England from 10:00 GMT

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-60421388

Thameslink Customer Advice

DO NOT TRAVEL on the Southern, Thameslink and Great Northern networks today, February 18 February.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

Thinking about it this may be the first bad weather that all the city to country lockdown leavers have experienced. 

It’s one thing to lose power in a flat in Zone 3 and quite another to lose power in a stone cottage in the Brecons. 

I wonder how they’ll react? 

Personally, I nipped out to local shop to acquire supplies etc at 9pm last night. Convenient :D 

HOLA448
HOLA449

I see they've extended the "Death Zone" over the SE for later today. Brexit and Covid hasn't made a dent in the storeroom stocks so I think I can survive those 5 hours of danger.

I'd better WFH for the whole of next week too, just in case.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
1 hour ago, onlooker said:

I may be speaking too soon, but this is nowhere near as bad as the 1987 gale. I'm on the Kent/Sussex border.

I'm in Hampshire, it is windy but nothing too bad as of yet.  I wonder if they are mainly worried about the formation of this "spike jet" and so then have to warn accordingly (even though it might never happen, or if it does wont effect everyone)?

HOLA4415
9 minutes ago, Drat said:

I'm in Hampshire, it is windy but nothing too bad as of yet.  I wonder if they are mainly worried about the formation of this "spike jet" and so then have to warn accordingly (even though it might never happen, or if it does wont effect everyone)?

The weather god's must have been reading this and decided to teach me a leason as the winds just picked up significantly :)

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
10 hours ago, coypondboy said:

brings back memories of my time in bristol in my younger skirt chasing days, the women certainly had big bristols it was the farmers accent that spolit it for me.

Memories of yesterdays, I guess we all have those 

HOLA4418
1 hour ago, onlooker said:

I may be speaking too soon, but this is nowhere near as bad as the 1987 gale. I'm on the Kent/Sussex border.

I don't think it's forecast as bad as 1987 at any stage.

However, also worth noting that for the South East the red warning only started from 10:00am and even then it's coming from the West so will hit Kent last!

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
6 hours ago, hotblack42 said:

The Met Office has issued a new red warning for wind - the highest level - to cover London, the South East and parts of the east of England from 10:00 GMT

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-60421388

Thameslink Customer Advice

DO NOT TRAVEL on the Southern, Thameslink and Great Northern networks today, February 18 February.

That's pretty good advice on any day, not just today. 

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425
2 hours ago, scottbeard said:

I don't think it's forecast as bad as 1987 at any stage.

However, also worth noting that for the South East the red warning only started from 10:00am and even then it's coming from the West so will hit Kent last!

Yes it has picked up in the last 45 minutes. Neighbour across the road has lost several fence panels. Why do people insist on high panel fences, largely unsupported? Rotten branches have come down all over the place, and are littering my lawn.  I won't be standing or driving near tall trees.

Winter storms always have this effect but nothing too catastrophic yet.