House Price Crash Forum

Will Russia invade Ukraine and what happens if it escalates with NATO/US getting involved

coypondboy

HOLA441
23 hours ago, Will! said:

UK to support Sweden and Finland if attacked.  If Putin has Russia's historical fear of encirclement then he is not going to like this.

Yes, I don't understand this.

They will soon be NATO - why nail our colours to the mast now?

Edited by Timm

• Replies 41.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Staffsknot

• Si1

• rollover

• pig

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442
2 minutes ago, Timm said:

Yes, I don't understand this.

They will soon be NATO - why nail our colours to the mast now?

I think it's to prevent Russia being tempted by a revenge attack on either of them BEFORE NATO membership kicks in. I know it seems implausible but then again...

HOLA443
7 minutes ago, satsuma said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10809829/Ukraine-war-Putin-purges-army-brass-Gerasimov-suspended.html

I am wondering who is actually running the Russian army now?  Top brass sacked or dead

Don't think its been taken yet. The ads still on totaljobs. Bonus looks very good but very difficult to achieve. Working conditions not so good. Seem to have a big turnover of staff for some reason.

HOLA444
HOLA445
1 hour ago, Flat Bear said:

Don't think its been taken yet. The ads still on totaljobs. Bonus looks very good but very difficult to achieve. Working conditions not so good. Seem to have a big turnover of staff for some reason.

I hear the company culture is not good, the head man always playing the blame game to deflect attention from himself (shortarse, blading incompetent, lunatic)

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
2 hours ago, Si1 said:

I think it's to prevent Russia being tempted by a revenge attack on either of them BEFORE NATO membership kicks in. I know it seems implausible but then again...

That would make sense if the US had said the same thing, maybe the EU too.

But we are a small island. Is Boris so very sure that Putin is bluffing?

Edit: I see that I have been overtaken by a different consensus. 

Edited by Timm

HOLA4411
1 minute ago, Timm said:

That would make sense if the US had said the same thing, maybe the EU too.

But we are a small island. Is Boris so very sure that Putin is bluffing?

The only thing that Boris is sure of is that this distracts from Partygate and his long list of other failings..... it's Operation Save the Old Dog on steroids. 

HOLA4412
1 minute ago, IMHAL said:

The only thing that Boris is sure of is that this distracts from Partygate and his long list of other failings..... it's Operation Save the Old Dog on steroids. 

I agree, which is why I edited my post.

But the fact remains, Boris is taking a chance with the UK that the US is not yet willing to take.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
1 hour ago, Timm said:

But the fact remains, Boris is taking a chance with the UK that the US is not yet willing to take.

There is zero chance Russia won't have been warned off and/or this dialogue isn't happening with the US and other countries.

The UK government mouthing off about Ukraine/Russia has got nothing to do with deterring Russia.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
7 hours ago, Si1 said:

Remember, Putin sent his B-team into Ukraine. The A-team have been kept back in case they're needed to fight NATO.

So if Putin decides to attack Finland before it joins NATO, Boris Johnson's posturing won't prevent him from doing so.

And since Putin knows he'll have to fight Finland sooner or later--Russia can no more accept NATO forces that close to their important bases in the Arctic than the US could accept Russian forces in Saskatchewan, just over the border from US missile silos--he may well decide to do it sooner. He's often said that if a fight is inevitable, you should hit first.

Or he may decide to wait until they are in NATO before he attacks, just so the world will see the rest of NATO refuse to risk nuclear war to protect Finland. That would be the end of NATO and the US Empire.

HOLA4419
7 hours ago, Timm said:

Maybe I'm being naïve. If America were to make that guarantee then what's the point of NATO. Bit unfair on Ukraine too in hindsight, if America made that promise. Plus Sweden and Finland are sort of neighbours to us, we're often seen as a borderline Nordic.

Or maybe Bojo is trying to get off with the Finnish and Swedish female leaders.

HOLA4420
2 hours ago, MarkG said:

Remember, Putin sent his B-team into Ukraine. The A-team have been kept back in case they're needed to fight NATO.

Sorry but that sounds like so much b0lloxks

HOLA4421
3 hours ago, MarkG said:

So if Putin decides to attack Finland before it joins NATO, Boris Johnson's posturing won't prevent him from doing so.

And since Putin knows he'll have to fight Finland sooner or later--Russia can no more accept NATO forces that close to their important bases in the Arctic than the US could accept Russian forces in Saskatchewan, just over the border from US missile silos--he may well decide to do it sooner. He's often said that if a fight is inevitable, you should hit first.

Or he may decide to wait until they are in NATO before he attacks, just so the world will see the rest of NATO refuse to risk nuclear war to protect Finland. That would be the end of NATO and the US Empire.

They didn't even leave the van or Hannibal's cigars behind let alone not send their 'A-Team'.

Where did you come across this load of tosh

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
9 minutes ago, Staffsknot said:

It is - unless the B Team borrowed large amounts of kit from the A-Team and that means the latter are using the B-Team's stuff next time out...

Just logically and strategically, Poo-Tin has staked his legacy, his power and even possibly his life on the Ukraine invasion. There's no way, especially after losing the battle for Kyiv, he wouldn't use his best.

HOLA4424
41 minutes ago, Si1 said:

Or maybe Bojo is trying to get off with the Finnish and Swedish female leaders.

He does like to play the hero 

HOLA4425
9 hours ago, Timm said:

My first guess is that BJ is posturing himself as the 'Churchill' figure and has calculated putting 'the UK' at risk worthwhile in order to keep his job.

My second guess is that BJ would treat such a treaty and the commitment to Fin/Swe with the same level of respect as the NIP or the botched Homes for Ukraine scheme...it's all optics and no action.

Edited by IMHAL