House Price Crash Forum

Trying To Download Call Of Duty-Black Opps-Cold War.................UK Internet Speeds Are Poor!!!

HOLA441

Yes indeed, I'm trying to download 140GB of Call Of Duty and it's like dragging my balls over broken glass.

Luckly in the UK we don't have data caps anymore, but connection speeds are still p1ss poor in many areas.

Tell us and the service provider companies how bad UK "broadband" actually is........................

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

Depends entirely where you live.

I do consider mine to be slow relative to city dwellers. In fact I deliberately have two separate lines, each varying between 25Mb/s and 40Mb/s. I’m waiting for one of the higher speed providers to come to play, there are 1Gb/s cables going in around the area. Or may be I’ll get Statrlink.

That said, my 4G speed is good and about the same as the broadband.

HOLA446

Depends entirely where you live.

I do consider mine to be slow relative to city dwellers. In fact I deliberately have two separate lines, each varying between 25Mb/s and 40Mb/s. I’m waiting for one of the higher speed providers to come to play, there are 1Gb/s cables going in around the area. Or may be I’ll get Statrlink.

That said, my 4G speed is good and about the same as the broadband.

I thought city speeds were lower.

HOLA447
HOLA448

Yes indeed, I'm trying to download 140GB of Call Of Duty and it's like dragging my balls over broken glass.

Luckly in the UK we don't have data caps anymore, but connection speeds are still p1ss poor in many areas.

Tell us and the service provider companies how bad UK "broadband" actually is........................

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-54917363

The UK's leading internet providers have experienced record broadband use as a result of new Xbox consoles and fresh releases to the Call of Duty games franchise.

BT, Virgin Media, Sky, TalkTalk, Vodafone, City Fibre and Zen Internet said they had all coped with the spike in demand on Tuesday.

Much of the activity was generated by video gamers downloading large files.

Some people will have experienced slower speeds as a consequence.

HOLA449

Until 2018 the maximum speed possible to my home was around 27mbps. from 2018 to last year that doubled to 50mbps. 

Mine is now a stable 140mbps. But that tech has only just been installed in the last year. 

The UK lags way behind in terms of coverage and connection speed in the developed world. 

Never sure what the big deal was about ultimate bandwidth its coverage that's the key having sold 40MB leased lines that 1000+ organisations operate on its not bandwidth that's the problem. Its stable guaranteed coverage with reasonable bandwidth

In addition if you are running a business from home get a business grade FTTC line with contracted SLA's for fault resolution

'Much of the activity was generated by video gamers downloading large files'

That's not going to create much tax revenue or many jobs is it ?

I have about 30mb could upgrade but this line is lost amongst a clients setup so its tax free - never maxed it out and watch the usual streaming stuff outside work

Chasing bigger bandwidths unless your a graphic designer or similar is pointless unless of course its cheap - cocktail party It sold to the masses rather like an new iPhone

The bandwidth is contended and with no fix guarantee  

HOLA4410

Might be time to get a life ....

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

We have 1gbit broadband where I live, reasonably priced too. I do wonder what the UK would be like if most places had it.

Still can't really afford it though to be honest but benefiting from a Virgin Media misprice at the mo.

Edited by spacedin

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Clearly you haven't been keeping up with modern life..

COD = WFH.

Government footing the bill. :)

I think they spell first to be made redundant as on furlough 

Actually your footing the Bill - a video game might be your only affordable leisure activity soon 😉

Edited by GregBowman

HOLA4421

I've noticed that when I download a game from steam the speed drops to 5mb/s.... Although my speed test shows 50mb/s normally. Is it being throttled because of the file size?

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

Just check and i get 58mbps download, so under 3 hrs for me. That said cant you buy this on bluray discs, mind you that would be 6 discs @ 25gb disc, or 3  x 50gb dual layer discs. 

HOLA4424

HPC is off. Let’s chat gaming!!!

These last few days I’ve been playing an Xbox series X on a 4K telly!!!! Holy moly this is the future!!!

COD Cold War is like every other COD. I’m enjoying Apex legends in 4K and Warzone. 

Gen 5 Consoles have finally caught up with gaming PC's and are worth buying. I wont ever scrap my gaming PC but i will never buy one for the kids now.   I have not bought a console since PS1 ( 1997) and original Xbox (2003). PC gaming was always way better and online since 2000.  Was is a COD 1 European league TDM clan back in 2003-2006 , CODJUNKIES.  Anyone from back the remember the Swedish COD 1 kings, noob allstars ?

XBOX X or PS5 is scheduled for Xmas 2021 in out hour, once they are discounting / doing deals. Plus I want 11 months of Data on which is the best one from real world users / gaming magazines. 

HOLA4425

Gen 5 Consoles have finally caught up with gaming PC's and are worth buying. I wont ever scrap my gaming PC but i will never buy one for the kids now.   I have not bought a console since PS1 ( 1997) and original Xbox (2003). PC gaming was always way better and online since 2000.  Was is a COD 1 European league TDM clan back in 2003-2006 , CODJUNKIES.  Anyone from back the remember the Swedish COD 1 kings, noob allstars ?

XBOX X or PS5 is scheduled for Xmas 2021 in out hour, once they are discounting / doing deals. Plus I want 11 months of Data on which is the best one from real world users / gaming magazines. 

I’ve owned most consoles. In fact there may be as few 3 or 4 in all of history that I haven’t actually owned. I remember being blown away by half-life and steam in the 90s on PC but it was halo and the ease of console gaming with friends that saw my pc days end there. 

The Cod franchise in my view is pretty terrible. I bought Cold War to experience the Xbox Xs power but it’s the same as the last dozen Cods. The engine is dated and lacks innovation.

BF1 was brilliant but had so few game types.