House Price Crash Forum

Trying To Download Call Of Duty-Black Opps-Cold War.................UK Internet Speeds Are Poor!!!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've noticed that when I download a game from steam the speed drops to 5mb/s.... Although my speed test shows 50mb/s normally. Is it being throttled because of the file size?

Might be worth checking your Steam settings - it has a couple of options to limit bandwidth usage. Alternatively, Steam displays download speed in  kilo/mega-bytes per second, not bits: could it be a case of unit confusion?

Edited by Horridbloke
stupid typo

My talktalk contract ended, so I am on monthly rolling contract. They have inflated the monthly fee by nealrly 50% from £21 to £31 

I refuse to sign a 18 month contract due to that I may be moving & tech changes. 

I regard this as price goughing , and I have complained to them via phone ,especially as a web connection is vital during covid . They are refusing to respond  via email.

they keep phoning me up despite me telling them not to . Anyone else   had these issue & how do I respond . ie ombudsman etc 

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship

My talktalk contract ended, so I am on monthly rolling contract. They have inflated the monthly fee by nealrly 50% from £21 to £31 

I refuse to sign a 18 month contract due to that I may be moving & tech changes. 

I regard this as price goughing , and I have complained to them via phone ,especially as a web connection is vital during covid . They are refusing to respond  via email.

they keep phoning me up despite me telling them not to . Anyone else   had these issue & how do I respond . ie ombudsman etc 

I'm clinging on to my rolling monthly SIM deal with Virgin for dear life - I get a lot more data on it than I should due to an apparent bug in their website. Every six months to a year they call me up and try to trick me into taking a 12 month contract. I just let it wash over me.

I'm clinging on to my rolling monthly SIM deal with Virgin for dear life - I get a lot more data on it than I should due to an apparent bug in their website. Every six months to a year they call me up and try to trick me into taking a 12 month contract. I just let it wash over me.

Think I’m in the same. I get an unadvertised additional 2GB on top of my advertised deal which keeps rolling over. It’s not available on the website. When I last spoke to them they arranged it for me and said it was a promo. 

Edited by MonsieurCopperCrutch

The best deal I had was moving to sky from virgin. The £40 per month ‘everything apart from sky sports and movies’ was meant to be an introductory £20 but they did it for £10. (All the channels, box sets etc). I managed to hang on to it for 3 years until they tried to put it up to £30ish. 

I rang them up and said times were tough so they stuck it back to a tenner for me 😎

Edited by Pmax2020

Gen 5 Consoles have finally caught up with gaming PC's and are worth buying. I wont ever scrap my gaming PC but i will never buy one for the kids now.   I have not bought a console since PS1 ( 1997) and original Xbox (2003). PC gaming was always way better and online since 2000.  Was is a COD 1 European league TDM clan back in 2003-2006 , CODJUNKIES.  Anyone from back the remember the Swedish COD 1 kings, noob allstars ?

I used to play RtCW multiplayer in 2002.  Does that help?

I think they spell first to be made redundant as on furlough 

Actually your footing the Bill - a video game might be your only affordable leisure activity soon 😉

Actually, I won't be paying any tax from next year, so no, I won't be footing the bill. :)

And as many PS5/XBOX-X Series games are now starting to hit the promised £70 each, I wouldn't call it an "affordable leisure activity" either. :)

Actually, I won't be paying any tax from next year, so no, I won't be footing the bill. :)

And as many PS5/XBOX-X Series games are now starting to hit the promised £70 each, I wouldn't call it an "affordable leisure activity" either. :)

Aren't Xbox doing a subscription service, many games for a set monthly cost?  Say it comes in at £35 per month, that is a night out.

I get 4mbps. I'm happy just if I can watch youtube without buffering.

Have you tried 4G mobile?  The speeds can quite often be surprisingly good if you are anywhere near a 4G LTE mast (30 down/15 up or better).  Even if you are further out in the sticks, a directional external antenna hooked up to a booster can give you a decent signal with a bit of setup effort.

Do you remember the original unreal? 

I remember the original Doom.  Found it sitting on a computer in a lab at uni and copied it onto 4 floppies.  We had a small network of four PCs in our 'study room' and played multiplayer from 9am to 5pm most days.

Ah, the joys of juggling memory with EMM386 to get the IPX and SPX network drivers loaded and leave enough space for the game .....

Have you tried 4G mobile?  The speeds can quite often be surprisingly good if you are anywhere near a 4G LTE mast (30 down/15 up or better).  Even if you are further out in the sticks, a directional external antenna hooked up to a booster can give you a decent signal with a bit of setup effort.

Yes, that is 4G mobile. I don't HD stream or download much so can just about manage at the moment. I'll look into a signal booster though, so thanks.

Aren't Xbox doing a subscription service, many games for a set monthly cost?  Say it comes in at £35 per month, that is a night out.

The XBOX-only version of "game pass" is just £8/month, so pretty good value. Problem is - at least for now - is it just covers games we've already played to death. It also doesn't cover Ubisoft and many other developers, so a lot of great games are missing from it. Still, it will be good to see how it progresses over time.

And, more importantly for me - as the Playstation is my preferred platform of choice because of it's great single-player games - is how Sony responds in the coming months/years. Fingers crossed. :)

Edited by Nomadd
typo

Might be worth checking your Steam settings - it has a couple of options to limit bandwidth usage. Alternatively, Steam displays download speed in  kilo/mega-bytes per second, not bits: could it be a case of unit confusion?

Oooh good point - I didn't even know there was a different way. Just googled, and bytes are 8 times bigger than bits. So if Steam says "3 megabytes per second" that is the same as "24 megabits" per second (approx).

Only get about 8 mbps. It suffices, it's not as if internet access is more than a luxury anyway. Could get more since they put in FTTP early this year but with the extra expense and the hassle of changing ISP I'm not sure whether it's worth it.

RDR2 took quite a while to download but it's not as if huge downloads are something I do every day.

Edited by Riedquat