House Price Crash Forum

Trying To Download Call Of Duty-Black Opps-Cold War.................UK Internet Speeds Are Poor!!!

Over what ??

Yes - the reason I'm on 8 is because although FTTC is available it's unlikely to get me more than about 12 mb so I've just stuck with ADSL (it's about a mile of cable back to the cabinet), so Sky certainly won't be able to push 60 over it.

I got 60 where I used to live five years ago, and whilst it's nice enough it's easy enough to live without.

Edited by Riedquat

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you get virgin media. ?

No

I might go for FTTP anyway at some point, particularly if I can keep the email address (there was something a little while ago rapping the knuckles of ISPs for not offering that for peanuts), but no great rush - like I said very much a luxury.

Edited by Riedquat

Time to complain to BT or move house 🤣

Move house?! Best thing I ever did was moving in to this house!

BT's answer will be "we've made FTTP available." Rural areas will always have places some distance from the cabinet. The county council was behind the push to get it available across the county; as it gets more widespread more ISPs will offer it and prices will come down, so I may be able to just sit tight.

Edited by Riedquat

Move house?! Best thing I ever did was moving in to this house!

BT's answer will be "we've made FTTP available." Rural areas will always have places some distance from the cabinet. The county council was behind the push to get it available across the county; as it gets more widespread more ISPs will offer it and prices will come down, so I may be able to just sit tight.

5g may sort out the copper infrastructures eventually.  Just use your phone as a hotspot.

5g may sort out the copper infrastructures eventually.  Just use your phone as a hotspot.

(a) don't have one, and (b) there's sod all reception in the house anyway. As I said there's already fibre infrastructure in place, I just don't have a big enough incentive to switch to it.

Long-term fibre's more viable than mobile I think, does the mobile network have the bandwidth for every fibre and copper connection for every house to switch to it? Particularly when I can see broadcast TV being switched off in the not too distant future and moving to the internet.

Edited by Riedquat

(a) don't have one, and (b) there's sod all reception in the house anyway. As I said there's already fibre infrastructure in place, I just don't have a big enough incentive to switch to it.

Long-term fibre's more viable than mobile I think, does the mobile network have the bandwidth for every fibre and copper connection for every house to switch to it? Particularly when I can see broadcast TV being switched off in the not too distant future and moving to the internet.

Most fibre is only partially fibre hence your low quoted bandwidth. From the street box to your house is still old 1970s copper.

That's why I asked if virgin media is available as that's all fibre.

Most fibre is only partially fibre hence your low quoted bandwidth. From the street box to your house is still old 1970s copper.

That's why I asked if virgin media is available as that's all fibre.

That's why I said that the fibre to box, copper to house (FTTC) would only give me about 12 mbps, as against the 8 I get from purely copper ADSL. Fibre right up to the premises has been getting rolled out throughout the whole of Derbyshire, even to remote parts (I've seen the unit on a pole with a "caution - overhead fibre" sign by a farm up a rough track up in the hills), so that's an option if I want to take it. That's the Openreach network, not Virgin. I like the idea as a bit of a luxury but not so much that I've yet bothered.

edit: Not all of Derbyshire as I thought, just those where FTTC won't really offer any advantages because of the distance from the box.

Edited by Riedquat

• 8 months later...
6 minutes ago, MonsieurCopperCrutch said:

Just buy some decent games and try to avoid any EA annual releases (same game, different skins.) 

How the games industry works - company makes a few decent games, company gets bought up by EA, company gets killed off.