House Price Crash Forum

Why does the Guardian hate Chris Grayling

HOLA441
On 10/02/2019 at 09:10, byron78 said:

Have to pull you up on this. 

Totally ignorant and wrong. 

Indeed.  The purposes of the penal system are to protect society, deter the individual criminal from further crime and rehabilitate the criminal.  The difficulties in the UK are, among other things:

• No public discussion about the balance of protection, deterrence and rehabilitation.
  • No consensus within the penal system about how best to do rehabilitation in the UK.
  • No meaningful efforts to provide the transparency and accountability in the penal system that it needs to ensure that money is spent most effectively and that the taxpayers can see this.

Without these it's unsurprising that results are poor.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

Government pays Eurotunnel £33m over Brexit ferry case

The government will pay £33m to Eurotunnel in an agreement to settle a lawsuit over extra ferry services in the event of a no-deal Brexit.

In December, the Department for Transport (DfT) contracted three suppliers to provide additional freight capacity for lorries.

Eurotunnel said the contracts were handed out in a "secretive" way.

It should be enough for his resignation maybe even more. 

HOLA443
26 minutes ago, Dražen Petrović said:

Government pays Eurotunnel £33m over Brexit ferry case

The government will pay £33m to Eurotunnel in an agreement to settle a lawsuit over extra ferry services in the event of a no-deal Brexit.

In December, the Department for Transport (DfT) contracted three suppliers to provide additional freight capacity for lorries.

Eurotunnel said the contracts were handed out in a "secretive" way.

It should be enough for his resignation maybe even more. 

On the same day as the latest report into  probation  reorganisation failures came out.

HOLA444
HOLA445

£33m? ? That's just chicken feed compared with his "disastrous privatisation programme" at the Ministry of Justice. The country really can't afford this stellar level of failure.

...last year the Ministry of Justice (MoJ) announced the contracts would end early, in December 2020, costing the ministry an extra £467m

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2019/mar/01/watchdog-slams-extremely-costly-probation-changes

https://news.sky.com/story/prison-recall-rates-skyrocketed-during-probation-privatisation-11651509

It's been very obvious to me for many years that a lot of these genius Tories are a bunch of useless, no vision, incompetant to$$ers, yet the people still vote them in year after year. WTF! Only now, some of the press are mildly attempting to hold their feet to the fire.

HOLA446
6 hours ago, DarkHorseWaits-NoMore said:

£33m? ? It's been very obvious to me for many years that a lot of these genius Tories are a bunch of useless, no vision, incompetant to$$ers, yet the people still vote them in year after year. WTF! Only now, some of the press are mildly attempting to hold their feet to the fire.

Listen, one area where we can trust the Tories is with tax payers money; the Daily Mail told me so.

HOLA447
  • 2 months later...
HOLA448

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/may/01/chris-grayling-cancels-ferry-contracts-at-extra-50m-cost-to-taxpayers-brexit

Chris Grayling cancels ferry contracts at £50m cost to taxpayers

Transport secretary scraps further deals made to ensure imports under a no-deal Brexit

The ferry contracts signed to ensure critical imports could reach the UK in the event of a no-deal Brexit have been cancelled, costing taxpayers a further £50m.

Questioned in parliament, transport ministers confirmed similar contracts could be signed again later this year should a Brexit deal not be agreed well before the new 31 October departure date.

Contracts worth £89m with Brittany Ferries and DFDS to secure ferry space for vital goods across the Channel have been cancelled with a termination payout of £43.8m to the firms, along with costs taking the final bill over £50m. According to National Audit Office estimates in February, the cost of compensation to ferry operators for termination would be up to £56.6m but the Department for Transport said the final figure was expected to be about 10% lower.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

Yet another example - as if any more were needed to those with their eyes open, and who haven't been brainwashed by spending too much time on the Taxpayers' Alliance website - of the massively inefficient, massively expensive privatisation of public services to private corporations which place profits above providing an effective service, and whose focus is on 'stockholder returns' rather than a safe and stable society.

Neoliberalism - not just a bankrupt. recidivist ideology, but an ideology that bankrupts.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
39 minutes ago, zilly said:

Yet another example - as if any more were needed to those with their eyes open, and who haven't been brainwashed by spending too much time on the Taxpayers' Alliance website - of the massively inefficient, massively expensive privatisation of public services to private corporations which place profits above providing an effective service, and whose focus is on 'stockholder returns' rather than a safe and stable society.

Neoliberalism - not just a bankrupt. recidivist ideology, but an ideology that bankrupts.

Are you saying government needs to get out of business and let the free market work properly?

HOLA4413
1 hour ago, Si1 said:

How is he still in any govt job?

Or ......

Is he the most competent Pol the Cons can find?

Which would beg the question - How useless are the rest of Parliament?

It also raises - again - whether Pols should be implementing policy rather than just deciding whether UKGOV does something or not, then speccing it

People have grown use to looking for UKGOV computing disasters.

However, there a lot more disasters not involving a CPU.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Blunders-Our-Governments-Anthony-King/dp/1780742665

HOLA4414
1 hour ago, spyguy said:

Or ......

Is he the most competent Pol the Cons can find?

Which would beg the question - How useless are the rest of Parliament?

It also raises - again - whether Pols should be implementing policy rather than just deciding whether UKGOV does something or not, then speccing it

People have grown use to looking for UKGOV computing disasters.

However, there a lot more disasters not involving a CPU.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Blunders-Our-Governments-Anthony-King/dp/1780742665

In this era of professional politicians I suppose it wouldn't surprise me. Alternatively maybe any truly competent backbenchers wouldn't want any association with TM's govt so it's just the desperate and the stupid who carry on working for her.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Covered nicely on Politics Live.

Andrew Neil's FIRST question - "What does Chris Grayling have to do to get fired?"

Ed Daley - "he's got about 100 things he should resign on"

Journalist - "the thing with him is that he has so many failures to choose from"

• 2 months later...
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
  • 2 months later...
HOLA4419

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/oct/11/brexit-out-of-time-out-of-ideas-elsewhere-in-life-hopefully-not

Monday

I know it’s unfashionable, but I rather miss Chris Grayling. Not just because he was always good value to sketch, but also because there was an integrity in his commitment to never finding a job he couldn’t do badly. In a way, he was a symbol of simpler times when incompetence hadn’t been entirely shrouded in duplicity at government level. Having warmed up by undermining the justice system with a disastrous part-privatisation of the probation service, Grayling then set to work at the transport department, where his crowning glory was to award a ferry contract to a company that had no ferries. During his time in office, it is estimated that Grayling cost the country more than £3bn. If we had been paying him to do nothing, we’d all have been better off. Since Grayling was removed from government, I have been looking for someone to replace him and may just have found my man. Step forward James “The Dud” Duddridge, a junior minister in the Brexit department who, like Grayling, appears to have been chosen for his hopelessness. Over the past week, he has twice been sent out to answer tricky urgent questions that more senior ministers wanted to avoid, and on both occasions he has had a disastrous time at the dispatch box. The best reasons he could give for the government failing to publish the full 44-page legal text of the new Brexit proposals was that it might confuse MPs if they knew what they were being asked to vote on and, besides, if he hadn’t been allowed to read them he couldn’t see why anyone else should. A star is born 

• 9 months later...
HOLA4420

FANTASTIC NEWS!

He was expected to be parachuted in to chair a very powerful Select Committee, and they were going to fix the vote so that he was "elected" chair. Today, he failed. It is a GOOD DAY!

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2020/jul/15/uk-coronavirus-live-news-infection-rate-pmqs-boris-johnson-keir-starmer-covid-19-latest-updates?page=with:block-5f0f2ec18f0876acf515fec0#block-5f0f2ec18f0876acf515fec0

Chris Grayling misses out on top committee post

Chris Grayling, the former minister who is no stranger to career mishaps, has failed in his bid to become chairman of parliament’s intelligence and security committee – having been widely expected to be elected to the post.

The ex-transport secretary was Boris Johnson’s pick for the chairmanship of the influential committee, which scrutinises the work of the UK’s intelligence agencies, and was thought to be a shoo-in for the job.

But it was not to be. The Tory MP Julian Lewis, a former chair of the defence select committee, has been appointed instead.

Westminster scribes are hammering the phones to find out what went wrong for Grayling.

HOLA4421

Phew, dumb dumb bullet dodged!

He's still allowed to fiddle in places of power and influence.
Remind us which country this saboteur represents...?

Edit: I liked the news report that led with Failing Grayling even failed to get nominated for a job where No.10 had rigged the vote in his favour. Useless Dangerous.

Edited by DarkHorseWaits-NoMore
typo's and details

HOLA4422
3 hours ago, mrtickle said:

FANTASTIC NEWS!

He was expected to be parachuted in to chair a very powerful Select Committee, and they were going to fix the vote so that he was "elected" chair. Today, he failed. It is a GOOD DAY!

Not for me. The faster this crony incompetent government fill all the posts with their brexiter incompetent mates the faster I expect the whole thing to fail. I want that so we can put it all to rest, move on and "take back control" from the morons to become a sensible country again.

HOLA4423
3 minutes ago, dugsbody said:

Not for me. The faster this crony incompetent government fill all the posts with their brexiter incompetent mates the faster I expect the whole thing to fail. I want that so we can put it all to rest, move on and "take back control" from the morons to become a sensible country again.

That all sounds great.  

Until it comes to the bit where we have to find (and elect) people/a party capable of doing a better job.  I’m not seeing any contenders myself but I’m very willing to be informed....

HOLA4424
On 3/1/2019 at 7:22 PM, DarkHorseWaits-NoMore said:

£33m? ? That's just chicken feed compared with his "disastrous privatisation programme" at the Ministry of Justice. The country really can't afford this stellar level of failure.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2019/mar/01/watchdog-slams-extremely-costly-probation-changes

https://news.sky.com/story/prison-recall-rates-skyrocketed-during-probation-privatisation-11651509

It's been very obvious to me for many years that a lot of these genius Tories are a bunch of useless, no vision, incompetant to$$ers, yet the people still vote them in year after year. WTF! Only now, some of the press are mildly attempting to hold their feet to the fire.

4 months, and 60,000 deaths, later how pertinant you were. Yet the thickos still believing the lies don't care.

HOLA4425
10 hours ago, DarkHorseWaits-NoMore said:

Phew, dumb dumb bullet dodged!

He's still allowed to fiddle in places of power and influence.
Remind us which country this saboteur represents...?

Edit: I liked the news report that led with Failing Grayling even failed to get nominated for a job where No.10 had rigged the vote in his favour. Useless Dangerous.

Indeed. That's one of the funniest things I've ever seen. He lost an election rigged in his favour.