House Price Crash Forum
prozac

Why does the Guardian hate Chris Grayling

In a no-deal Brexit, a key role will be played by Chris Grayling, the rogue drone who goes by the title of transport secretary. This is the one-man disrupter who proved incapable of introducing new rail timetables without throwing the network into chaos. I don’t know about you, but I am not sleeping better at night for knowing that Failing Grayling will be in charge of trying to manage ports gridlocked by a crash-out Brexit

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/chrisgrayling

I sometimes worry that Chris Grayling doesn’t exist – that he’s some kind of not-very-widely shared delusion. That a man who managed to offend the gay community, the UK Statistics Authority and the entire population of Manchester before even joining the government should survive for eight years as a minister has always seemed terribly unlikely to me.

And surely if film really existed of an incumbent transport secretary knocking a cyclist off their bike – and then berating them for it – he would, at the very least, have attained a certain level of infamy. Ask most people outside the bubble what they think of Grayling, though, and you’re likely to be met with a baffled look and the word, “...Who?” This isn’t a real minister: he’s a recurring joke from The Thick of I

Screen Shot 2018-12-23 at 10.27.52.png

43 minutes ago, prozac said:

In a no-deal Brexit, a key role will be played by Chris Grayling, the rogue drone who goes by the title of transport secretary. This is the one-man disrupter who proved incapable of introducing new rail timetables without throwing the network into chaos. I don’t know about you, but I am not sleeping better at night for knowing that Failing Grayling will be in charge of trying to manage ports gridlocked by a crash-out Brexit

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/chrisgrayling

I have has the misfortune of having to work with Chris Grayling, he really is as bad as the Guardian/Times articles about him make out.  He is the guy who thought it was a good idea to punish prisoners by stopping them reading books.   

Everything he touches turns to sh1t.  How he ever reached or managed to survive in any government position is one of life's great mysteries. 

46 minutes ago, Confusion of VIs said:

I have has the misfortune of having to work with Chris Grayling, he really is as bad as the Guardian/Times articles about him make out.  He is the guy who thought it was a good idea to punish prisoners by stopping them reading books.   

Everything he touches turns to sh1t.  How he ever reached or managed to survive in any government position is one of life's great mysteries. 

Because it's Britain. I once had a lunchtime chat, working with a retired PC, the subject being how do useless people get put in charge and stay there? 

We dissolved into helpless laughter. 

I understand he's fanatical about privatising things. The objective is always to make money for his mates (and most likely himself) so any benefit to the majority will be purely collateral.

During the 2000s I had dealings with the Land Registry which I found to be by miles Britain's most efficient outfit. HMRC, so often a laughing stock manages an incredible and complex workload and gets little credit.  1970s 1980s British Rail was one of the world's better railways and the most financially efficient.  Rail is today costing almost five times as much last I heard.

Some stuff was rightly privatised, all I'm suggesting is that Privatisation is not a one way street.  Imho the Guardian has called this accurately.

4 hours ago, Confusion of VIs said:

He's 6'5"; there's a strong correlation between height and promotions. Add to that he's naturally/well spoken (no regional accent), well connected and inoffensive to the top-brass, unlikely to deliberately rock the boat. Yeah I've seen plenty climb the greasy pole with those attributes. He's establishment through and through. The height thing is a big deal though. If he was the same person but short he'd have got much less far. In women it's attractiveness that correlates instead.

Edited by Si1

1 hour ago, Si1 said:

He's 6'5"; there's a strong correlation between height and promotions. Add to that he's naturally/well spoken (no regional accent), well connected and inoffensive to the top-brass, unlikely to deliberately rock the boat. Yeah I've seen plenty climb the greasy pole with those attributes. He's establishment through and through. The height thing is a big deal though. If he was the same person but short he'd have got much less far. In women it's attractiveness that correlates instead.

So...Theresa May is...hot?

5 hours ago, Confusion of VIs said:

The Peter Principle. 

The Peter principle states that a person who is competent at their job will earn promotion to a more senior position which requires different skills. If the promoted person lacks the skills required for their new role, then they will be incompetent at their new level, and so they will not be promoted again. But if they are competent at their new role, then they will be promoted again, and they will continue to be promoted until they eventually reach a level at which they are incompetent. Being incompetent, they do not qualify to be promoted again, and so remain stuck at that final level for the rest of their career (termed "Final Placement" or "Peter's Plateau"). This outcome is inevitable, given enough time and assuming that there are enough positions in the hierarchy to promote competent employees to.[2] The "Peter Principle" is therefore expressed as: "In a hierarchy every employee tends to rise to his level of incompetence."[3] This leads to Peter's Corollary: "In time, every post tends to be occupied by an employee who is incompetent to carry out its duties."[4] Hull calls the study of how hierarchies work "hierarchiology."[5]

Edited by PeanutButter

34 minutes ago, PeanutButter said:

So...Theresa May is...hot?

I once had a disturbing dream about Margaret Thatcher...needed a really long shower the next day.

Top leaders can’t be too hot, but I agree, in corporations, in the lower ranks hot women get promoted over their munter counterparts.

17 minutes ago, HovelinHove said:

I once had a disturbing dream about Margaret Thatcher...needed a really long shower the next day.

Top leaders can’t be too hot, but I agree, in corporations, in the lower ranks hot women get promoted over their munter counterparts.

Screen Shot 2018-12-23 at 18.06.58.png

The Guardian hates Grayling because the Guardian opposes all Government policy on rail privatization and franchising, driver only trains, building extra runway capacity at airports, and building new roads to keep the country moving efficiently.

I pity Grayling, as he has one of the small number of truly dire jobs in Government, the others being Northern Ireland (trying to deal with childish tantrums and latter day terrorists), Scotland (merely a conduit for insults between Westminster and Ediburgh) and Health (trying to provide a service in the face of ever increasing demand). Grayling doesn't personally compose the timetables which went so wrong, he has to rely on incompetent civil servants, who increasingly run a rail network which after privatization was supposed to be run at arms length of Government. All improvements designed and managed by Network Rail have gone over budget, and since the pot of money is fixed, the scope of work has had to be cut back, which disappoints all the gobby local councillors out there. Meanwhile Network Rail is owned by Government, so he cannot replace them with another contractor, and he cannot even pay bigger salaries to attract more competent staff.

The only good bit of infrastructure to be built, HS2, will be claimed as a triumph by the Prime Minister, while Grayling probably would rather spend the money on filling potholes, but has to keep his mouth firmly shut.

2 minutes ago, winkie said:

What has he done for anyone?......interested.😉

What can any politician do?

Except take from Peter to give to Paul, thus making Paul quite happy.

2 minutes ago, onlooker said:

What can any politician do?

Except take from Peter to give to Paul, thus making Paul quite happy.

A good focused politician that wants to make a difference can do a lot....they benefit many different names, not to just the few named paul.😉

5 hours ago, Si1 said:

Ex BBC.

5 hours ago, Si1 said:

Most of the bosses in my organisation are short. Perhaps studies show there is something in your 'height is a big deal' claim but I certainly have never seen this and more likely short men have something to make up for and fight for promotion/ more money/ big car and house as compensation. 

3 hours ago, onlooker said:

Grayling doesn't personally compose the timetables which went so wrong, he has to rely on incompetent civil servants...

Well obviously the minister for transport can't be held responsible for transport related matters.

I suspect that if the post were held by an MP flying a different coloured flag the competency of civil servants would suddenly become vanishingly insignificant to you.

Grayling is hopelessly inept, with an unfortunate knack of failing upwards.

14 hours ago, Bluestone59 said:

Because it's Britain. I once had a lunchtime chat, working with a retired PC, the subject being how do useless people get put in charge and stay there? 

We dissolved into helpless laughter.  

It helps if you are a stonecutter, I'm sure your ex-PC colleague was well aware of that. 

15 hours ago, Confusion of VIs said:

It is not just the Guardian and Telegraph documenting his failures. Every week in Private Eye the signal failures column documents Chris Grayling's ineptitude and meddling in the rail network. 

Edited by The Preacherman

9 hours ago, Wayward said:

Most of the bosses in my organisation are short. Perhaps studies show there is something in your 'height is a big deal' claim but I certainly have never seen this and more likely short men have something to make up for and fight for promotion/ more money/ big car and house as compensation. 

What industry?

7 hours ago, The Preacherman said:

It helps if you are a stonecutter, I'm sure your ex-PC colleague was well aware of that. 

L O L.  He never said if he was one himself but I had forgotten all about them.

They had a hand in breaking up my marriage and leaving me destitute, for a time.  Equally I made a lot of bad decisions and so it's not right to blame it all on them.

The force went through a phase of fast tracking graduates and then women to promotion.  With almost nil success, he added.

The title of this thread sounded familiar.

At first I couldn't think why.  Then I realised it was this, though a bit off topic and is 20 years old.

Q. Why do many people take an instant dislike to Mrs Thatcher?

A. It saves time.

Victor Lewis-Smith - Evening Standard.

On 23/12/2018 at 16:03, Si1 said:

In women it's attractiveness that correlates instead.

Really? I have never seen a high-up woman who is particularly glamorous. That's not meant to be disparaging - I assume they have better things to do than spend their time tarting themselves up like a rich man's housewife or a TV presenter. That they are likely to be intelligent is far more attractive afaic.