House Price Crash Forum

Bozo wants to hike National Insurance to pay for social care

HOLA441
7 minutes ago, Dorkins said:

Also most people will die without going into a care home, it's about 1 in 5 or 6 I believe.

If they get decent care in their own home it might keep a few out of the care home for longer.  I'm trying to see the positives, I really am.

• Replies 779
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
1 hour ago, MonsieurCopperCrutch said:

Triple lock gone.

Only for one year though.  I did think this is what would happen.

The government will scrap the "triple lock" mechanism that ensures state pensions rise by at least inflation, wage growth, or 2.5%, whichever is the highest, for the 2022/23 financial year.

Work and Pensions Secretary Therese Coffey told MPs that the temporary, one-year change would mean pensions would rise by 2.5% or in line with inflation next year.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-58473078

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
On 03/09/2021 at 08:30, zugzwang said:

Said it before a thousand times but it's always worth repeating.

Never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never ever vote Conservative.

My grandfather, a wealthy barrister who lived in a little village outside Halifax used to be picked up by the conservative car….driven to the ballot box and vote. It seemed everyone knew he was a fully fledged leftie except the Tories….and he kept the charade up for years. Why waste a Labour car when a Tory one will do. This is true, and maybe a little tongue in cheek…..but we seem to have lost conviction politics nowadays.

I am a liberal leftie, I may not like a party leader…I may even like a Tory leader…but I vote for the politics in which I believe. Not for who wears the best jacket, who promises me the best ‘things’ or even what benefits me most. I accept disagreement from conviction Tories and capitalists…each to their own and in its purest form there are different valid viewpoints and political beliefs  

But what seems to be the position at the moment is people don’t care and vote for what the Telegraph says or which party gives them personally the best stuff.  

So they get what they deserve…and i hypocritically use and abuse the system, collect rent and watch those who voted Tory carry on working and moaning. (in my very very very Tory town…) 

HOLA448
Just now, yelims said:

They just handed over 1.5bln to India for a promise of consideration of services in any talks 😂

They're also going to hand money out to India et al at COP26.

I suspect this is the real reason for this tax actually.  Not much of it is going to help with social care costs that is for sure.

HOLA449
1 minute ago, kzb said:

Only for one year though.  I did think this is what would happen.

The government will scrap the "triple lock" mechanism that ensures state pensions rise by at least inflation, wage growth, or 2.5%, whichever is the highest, for the 2022/23 financial year.

Work and Pensions Secretary Therese Coffey told MPs that the temporary, one-year change would mean pensions would rise by 2.5% or in line with inflation next year.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-58473078

Oh yeah - what if inflation rises to 5%+ in a subsequent year, or if wages still rise significantly more than inflation.

They can pick and chose suspending it or not. Precedent is set.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
17 minutes ago, wighty said:

Oh yeah - what if inflation rises to 5%+ in a subsequent year, or if wages still rise significantly more than inflation.

They can pick and chose suspending it or not. Precedent is set.

The existing legislation does allow for it to be suspended in unusual circumstances.

I think pensions will always be uprated with inflation, even Thatcher did that.

HOLA4412

In his statement BlowJob said "No one with assets less than £20,000 will have to make any contribution from their savings or housing wealth".

@kzb do you reckon that means the house value is excluded when determining assets?. Because if not it's a total nonsense statement.

During evening press coference Health Sec was asked if the gov would guarantee no-one would have to sell their house to pay for care. The answer was the £86k cap would ensure people had complete confidence on the maximum they would have to pay (as long as you work out all the ifs and buts).

This is all mealy mouthed ambiguous statements. You dont make a contribution from your housing wealth because you've already sold your house.

Edited by wighty

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
9 hours ago, MonsieurCopperCrutch said:

Least we forget:

This money won't go on social  care for 3 years as stated, and indeed they might not even be able to spend that on social care as there aren't the care workers to deliver that. 

£12bn a year from NI.

£350m a week for the NHS ...  52 x £0.35Bn = £18bn, so guess he needs to find snother £6bn.

image.jpeg.0612629c59771f3223fd5347a45c46c5.jpeg

Edited by Mikhail Liebenstein

HOLA4421

If you over stretched yourself to buy a massively over priced house as the peak of a crazy low IR bubble then the people encouraging you to buy into the bubble raises your taxes 1.25% before then seeing IRs shoot up wont you feel like the idiots who paid £3K for a dog ?

HOLA4422
37 minutes ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

If you over stretched yourself to buy a massively over priced house as the peak of a crazy low IR bubble then the people encouraging you to buy into the bubble raises your taxes 1.25% before then seeing IRs shoot up wont you feel like the idiots who paid £3K for a dog ?

There's idiots paying thousands for dogs right now.  Loads of them.  I watch things like that and sometimes I think they deserve taxing more....

HOLA4423
19 minutes ago, kzb said:

There's idiots paying thousands for dogs right now.  Loads of them.  I watch things like that and sometimes I think they deserve taxing more....

I've been keeping track of dog prices on TOS....The dog price bubble has well and truly collapsed.

£3000 puppies now selling for £500.

You can get a nice border collie puppy for around £250.

https://www.pets4homes.co.uk/classifieds/wdz4qajjw-classic-collie-puppies-llanybydder/

I'd love on old english sheep dog, was £5K at one point, now holding up well at £750.

A fool and their money

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

HOLA4424
1 hour ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

Feels like its starting to change

House prices as you say spiraling but furlough ending, Blojo upping taxes and hinting he may do it again. Next covid wave coming hospitals are again starting to struggle.

Christmas wont be Christmas without any presents.

HOLA4425

I would be very interested to see two columns side by side. One marked wage earners, and the other marked asset owners. And in each column the policies initiated by the government and its proxies(Bank of England) to increase/protect each of them since the financial crisis. I think we know which would be the clear winner.