House Price Crash Forum

Bozo wants to hike National Insurance to pay for social care

1 minute ago, Dorkins said:

Total private rent bill in the UK is about £50bn pa I believe, take off the amount private landlords spend on repairs and that leaves you with £49.999bn pa.

Great, so tax at 99% and we have £49.5bn to play with, and there will be no consequences for tenants.  That'll teach them boomers a lesson won't it.

• Replies 779
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

15 minutes ago, kzb said:

Great, so tax at 99% and we have £49.5bn to play with, and there will be no consequences for tenants.  That'll teach them boomers a lesson won't it.

Startling as it may seem this is in fact quite unrefuted orthodox economics, for all that the classical economists wanted to avoid this implication of their theories. It's now known as "Georgist" economics, after Henry George, who advocated a 100% land value (actually site value) tax to be levvied on a redistributive basis ie revenues returned to the community.

1 hour ago, kzb said:

Tax equivalisation is coming sooner or later.  Level Playing Field.  You Irish have upset them a lot, so you will speed it up.

Still waiting, is it before or after euro collapses?

I appreciate that over in UK there is a full on panic over inflation, empty Brexit shelves and fear of imminent collapse of everything as evidenced by dozens of doom threads in this forum but over here things going great atm

btw I hear the Tories who promised no tax rises and welfare cuts done just that?

Edited by yelims

1 hour ago, yelims said:

btw I hear the Tories who promised no tax rises and welfare cuts done just that?

That's Irish circular reasoning, because I said (in half-jest) the tax rises were precisely so we could rejoin a tax-levelized EU.