House Price Crash Forum

The Times article - Areas where EU citizens are six times higher than estimated

HOLA441

"In total, more than 4.6 million people have been granted the right to remain in the UK after Brexit under the EU settlement scheme, which closes for applications at the end of June. This is far higher than the 3.1 million EU citizens who were estimated to be living in the UK before Brexit.

The data also shows the extent to which the migrant population is concentrated in London, with 1.6 million EU citizens applying for settled status in London — four in ten of all those granted settled status.

By the end of last month 5.1 million applications had been submitted. Some 4.6 million of them have been concluded, with over half — 2.5 million — granted permanent leave to remain and 2 million granted pre-settled status."

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/areas-where-eu-citizens-are-six-times-higher-than-estimated-hdm87glf8

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442

Some of us have been following this on the immigration rules thread. In December some London politicians were estimating that only 50% of EU migrants had bothered to register yet, so the true number could be substantially higher yet, perhaps over 6m. it's pretty clear to anyone with any objectivity that this has been a huge driver of BTL and houses prices in general

Edited by debtlessmanc

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

You can't really blame the immigrants though, if any of us were in their shoes we would probably do the same and migrate to the UK. The issue is that most of the economic activity of the UK is concentrated in London/South East of England. In an ideal world, any migration would be spread out amongst all the regions - Scotland for example is in dire need of further immigration but unfortunately there are limited economic opportunities there in comparison to other parts of the UK.

I could even be classed as an internal migrant myself as I had to move to London from the North of England for work after I graduated.

Sure EU migration will slow down following Brexit but this was always just one reason (of many) why property prices keep rising. I am still insterested to see what happens post lockdown especially with tourism and hospitality where EU migrants took most of the jobs.

HOLA446
4 hours ago, debtlessmanc said:

Some of us have been following this on the immigration rules thread. In December some London politicians were estimating that only 50% of EU migrants had bothered to register yet, so the true number could be substantially higher yet, perhaps over 6m. it's pretty clear to anyone with any objectivity that this has been a huge driver of BTL and houses prices in general

Crystal clear! Could this possibly be linked to the millionnaire landlord Tony Blair opening the floodgates and then fighting for a 'people's confirmatory vote'? I have my suspicions.

HOLA447
47 minutes ago, Huggy said:

Crystal clear! Could this possibly be linked to the millionnaire landlord Tony Blair opening the floodgates and then fighting for a 'people's confirmatory vote'? I have my suspicions.

There's also declining interest rates and banks' willingness to lend as major factors pushing up prices (along with immigration) 

All heavily influenced by government decisions interestingly...

It won't end till people stop voting for more of it and start voting for something else.  

HOLA448
1 hour ago, Sprrite said:

You can't really blame the immigrants though, if any of us were in their shoes we would probably do the same and migrate to the UK. The issue is that most of the economic activity of the UK is concentrated in London/South East of England. In an ideal world, any migration would be spread out amongst all the regions - Scotland for example is in dire need of further immigration but unfortunately there are limited economic opportunities there in comparison to other parts of the UK.

I could even be classed as an internal migrant myself as I had to move to London from the North of England for work after I graduated.

Sure EU migration will slow down following Brexit but this was always just one reason (of many) why property prices keep rising. I am still insterested to see what happens post lockdown especially with tourism and hospitality where EU migrants took most of the jobs.

Of course you cannot blame people, the reason many of them are is the inability of the eurozone to create jobs. But its not really a long term solution to anything people here want or the people moving here want. Hence the tendeny for second generation migrants to vote against it!

HOLA449
14 minutes ago, debtlessmanc said:

Of course you cannot blame people, the reason many of them are is the inability of the eurozone to create jobs. But its not really a long term solution to anything people here want or the people moving here want. Hence the tendeny for second generation migrants to vote against it!

The pro immigration crowd feel quite free to denigrate the under educated lazy locals, but somehow it's not okay to denigrate the immigrants? 

Given were going to have 5m unemployed shortly, I can't understand why we're expected to say that 6m immigrants is a great idea. 

That would sort out the NHS 1% pay rise issue in about 30 days flat by simple market forces. 

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
5 minutes ago, phantominvestor said:

Blame immigration, not the immigrant.

Our  modern economy always needs someone at the dire bottom doing the jobs that nobody else wants. It's a recipe for inequality.

Money talks, and immigration is for rich people who don't want to pay. 

If you can't get someone to clean your toilet for £8 an hour, then pay more. 

Don't go to an apartheid system and say it's inevitable. 

HOLA4412
1 minute ago, 24gray24 said:

Money talks, and immigration is for rich people who don't want to pay. 

If you can't get someone to clean your toilet for £8 an hour, then pay more. 

Don't go to an apartheid system and say it's inevitable. 

I'm happy paying £5 for a delivery of my food. Versus the £3 that Uber/Just Eat give drivers.

HOLA4413
36 minutes ago, 24gray24 said:

The pro immigration crowd feel quite free to denigrate the under educated lazy locals, but somehow it's not okay to denigrate the immigrants? 

Given were going to have 5m unemployed shortly, I can't understand why we're expected to say that 6m immigrants is a great idea. 

That would sort out the NHS 1% pay rise issue in about 30 days flat by simple market forces. 

That's wishful thinking, if it wasn't the NHS wouldn't have 100k vacancies and over 4m people waiting for treatment. 

HOLA4414
40 minutes ago, 24gray24 said:

Going by mrsspys school, where shes aware of low income, 80% of EU migrants rely on in work bennies.

Pick a sklep, any sklep. There'll be several 100k of bennies going into each one, plus cost of public services.

HOLA4415
4 minutes ago, Confusion of VIs said:

That's wishful thinking, if it wasn't the NHS wouldn't have 100k vacancies and over 4m people waiting for treatment. 

Then you ain't paying enough to fill those vacancies. 

Money talks and 1% walks. And 100,000 walked. 

That isn't wishful thinking. 

HOLA4416
1 hour ago, debtlessmanc said:

Euro Area unemployment is 8.1% currently vs 7.3% for the EU27 and 5.1% in the UK.

Not great but not terrible either given the circumstances.

euro-area-unemployment-rate.png?s=umrtem

_117164782_optimised-unemployment-nc.png

HOLA4417
18 minutes ago, 24gray24 said:

Then you ain't paying enough to fill those vacancies. 

Money talks and 1% walks. And 100,000 walked. 

That isn't wishful thinking. 

That's my point.

The government has chosen to restrict the amount of money they give the NHS and don't care about the vacancies, certainly not enough to give the +10% rises needed to make a difference

The Treasury have just accepted the OBR's latest forecasts which itself accepts that project fear has been delivered and we need to plan on spending a lot less going forward. 

NB The OBR report assumes that almost all of the missing EU citizens will come back once we come out of lockdown.  

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
41 minutes ago, zugzwang said:

Euro Area unemployment is 8.1% currently vs 7.3% for the EU27 and 5.1% in the UK.

Not great but not terrible either given the circumstances.

euro-area-unemployment-rate.png?s=umrtem

_117164782_optimised-unemployment-nc.png

Bull. Shit.

The functioning Northern European countries are averaging down the Med countries.

Under 40s unemployment runs at 20-30% in Spain, Italy, Portgual, etc.

Chatting to family members its beyond dire.

Start counting underemployment and short term contracts at E1000/m and  these are effectively  failed states for the under 40s.

HOLA4420
3 hours ago, Sprrite said:

You can't really blame the immigrants though, if any of us were in their shoes we would probably do the same and migrate to the UK.

NOONE is blaming the immigrants themselves as they are just rational actors in the broken system, this is a straw man argument. When I and other say "immigrants are bad for the UK" thats not blaming the immigrants as individuals, its blaming the policy makers who let them in.

Edited by goldbug9999

HOLA4421
5 hours ago, 24gray24 said:

And they're still letting them in. 

The issue that caused brexit hasn't gone away...

They've basically thrown open our borders to anyone in the last 12 months. The globalist bankers parasites must be pissing themselves laughing. More people and 100s of billions more to lend to them 

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
1 hour ago, Wayward said:

There would be no HPI without competitive bidding for housing...there is only competitive bidding because of immigration and frustrated supply.  

If there's no competitive bidding, ie a market, it's who you know in the council, a small bribe and key money. That just doesn't work.  

HOLA4424
2 hours ago, 24gray24 said:

If there's no competitive bidding, ie a market, it's who you know in the council, a small bribe and key money. That just doesn't work.  

? If there's no competitive bidding for housing  you still have a market, but it's the sellers competing to sell and prices fall.

HOLA4425
4 hours ago, goldbug9999 said:

NOONE is blaming the immigrants themselves as they are just rational actors in the broken system, this is a straw man argument. When I and other say "immigrants are bad for the UK" thats not blaming the immigrants as individuals, its blaming the policy makers who let them in.

Why are you blaming the policy makers of both political parties, it was not a mistake.......create the policies, get the behaviours.;)