House Price Crash Forum

Brexit What Happens Next Thread ---multiple merged threads.

HOLA441

EU team coming to London on Wednesday - sans Barnier? - so might get a tweet/statement later today from Merkel or other to say that of course, the EU is open to compromise ("but not at any price!").

That might kick the ajar door open for talks this week but I've got a feeling it's going to drift into early Nov.

Still lots of delusion on the Leavers' side. The UK and the EU are sovereign (can do what they want) but not equal (the UK is around 10 times smaller economically). What the UK wants (free access to the CM without obligations) is not in the best interest of the EU.

“We are trying to get a deal,” Nadhim Zahawi told Sky, adding as long as the EU “negotiate with us as a sovereign.”

“Until you make it very clear that you are willing to negotiate with us as an equal, as a sovereign, then there’s no point simply just paying lip service saying you know ‘we’ll intensify’ negotiations,” he said.

HOLA442

Yes, even fillet from the supermarkets can have the odd tough piece with gristle. I have noticed that this is sometimes worse with the aged beef (more expensive) and sometimes the Scottish branded steak as opposed to British labelled steak.  I doubt it is the origin or ageing process that is the issue, more how it is cut.

In general the local butchers is much better, but you do pay a lot more and there is always a long queue.

@longgone and @dugsbody...if you want a decent steak, go to the local butchers and get the 28 day aged stuff. If they dont get it out of the aging cabinet, carve it off of a larger piece of carcass in front of you to your spec, it aint worth having. Its far superior and better for animal welfare. The super markets can keep the bright red stuff under cellophane as far as I am concerned; I'd rather be a veggie than eat that rubbish.

HOLA443

@longgone and @dugsbody...if you want a decent steak, go to the local butchers and get the 28 day aged stuff. If they dont get it out of the aging cabinet, carve it off of a larger piece of carcass in front of you to your spec, it aint worth having. Its far superior and better for animal welfare. The super markets can keep the bright red stuff under cellophane as far as I am concerned; I'd rather be a veggie than eat that rubbish.

I know that. We eat less meat these days but when we do we pay more from a quality butchers (local doesn't mean quality, some are worse than the supermarkets). 

But when I used to eat a lot more I'd buy from the supermarket more regularly and that was what my opinion was based on.

And, when I do just want cheap and dirty, I'll get a decent looking ribeye from a supermarket. Because you're almost always going to get marbling in ribeye it is a lot more forgiving buying it cheaper than something like rump.

HOLA444

Still lots of delusion on the Leavers' side. The UK and the EU are sovereign (can do what they want) but not equal (the UK is around 10 times smaller economically). What the UK wants (free access to the CM without obligations) is not in the best interest of the EU...

It looks to me that the UK has accepted there will have to be some detailed and shared principles and some kind of dispute mechanism AND/OR new independent body to oversee them - but no agreement yet. Also sounds as though the EU are still insisting on some level of dynamic alignment on environmental and labour rights.

Worth bearing in mind that whatever is cooked up regards state subsidies, the WA will have to be amended to reflect them in the FTA, as far as it covers NI. The UK isn't going to want separate subsidy regs for NI with potential reach into UK-wide, hence the fuss with the IM Bill.

After all those hurdles, it's going to be a very skinny FTA. Even so, is it going to feel as though the UK has left the EU, for Johnson and his supporters? The tighter the controls, regs, independent bodies, the more roiled the fishing settlement, the more they'll complain that the EU are still ruling over their lives. This combined with the fact that it's going to be chaotic at the ports, in all cases, is going to add to the grumbling that the deal isn't much better than WTO.

Tempting for Johnson to blame the miles of trucks at Dover on the EU, saying they wouldn't give us a deal.

I think that's part of the reason why the EU just don't know if Johnson wants a deal or not...the FTA will be a stinker and nobody will like it, and they know it.

HOLA445

It looks to me that the UK has accepted there will have to be some detailed and shared principles and some kind of dispute mechanism AND/OR new independent body to oversee them - but no agreement yet. Also sounds as though the EU are still insisting on some level of dynamic alignment on environmental and labour rights.

Worth bearing in mind that whatever is cooked up regards state subsidies, the WA will have to be amended to reflect them in the FTA, as far as it covers NI. The UK isn't going to want separate subsidy regs for NI with potential reach into UK-wide, hence the fuss with the IM Bill.

After all those hurdles, it's going to be a very skinny FTA. Even so, is it going to feel as though the UK has left the EU, for Johnson and his supporters? The tighter the controls, regs, independent bodies, the more roiled the fishing settlement, the more they'll complain that the EU are still ruling over their lives. This combined with the fact that it's going to be chaotic at the ports, in all cases, is going to add to the grumbling that the deal isn't much better than WTO.

Tempting for Johnson to blame the miles of trucks at Dover on the EU, saying they wouldn't give us a deal.

I think that's part of the reason why the EU just don't know if Johnson wants a deal or not...the FTA will be a stinker and nobody will like it, and they know it.

Yesterday, Gove was attempting to sell it as an advantage, citing the thousands of new jobs that will be created to process all the trucks.

HOLA446

yep £16 a kg for rump in the local award winning butcher.  The supermarket very fresh stuff can be cooked well if left out of the fridge for a few hours and dried off salted up and oiled prior at room temperature then cooked in a smoking hot cast iron pan. i usually render the fat edge off first to coat the pan then leave it and turn once. low heat and constant turning kill the steak. 

joint`s i just steam them for 3 hrs bought 3 massive racks of pork ribs few weeks back steam them for 3 hrs and it literally just falls off the bone. soaked them in soy and 5 spice over night then grill them after steaming with teriyaki for 20 mins. 

if you invest in a kitchen get a steam oven ;) 

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
6 hours ago, thehowler said:

"All we wanted was CETA"... 

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Welcome to the club. Those have been my thoughts for a while. Any deal is just going to be revealed to be bad anyway and Johnson doesn't want to be known for luke-warm failure. He'd rather be known as the prime minister who dared. And they'll do what they've been ramping up all along, blame the EU.

And it will work.

HOLA4414

Whispers that Barnier is coming to London on Thursday...but it might just be journos getting bored.

For all you carnivores, I see the EU are on the point of banning "veggieburger' and other fake news terms after lobbying from the meat/agri lobby...and they've already banned the use of "milk" for oat milk etc.

Or is that all getting too bent banana...

Edited by thehowler

HOLA4415

Welcome to the club. Those have been my thoughts for a while. Any deal is just going to be revealed to be bad anyway and Johnson doesn't want to be known for luke-warm failure. He'd rather be known as the prime minister who dared. And they'll do what they've been ramping up all along, blame the EU.

And it will work.

The odds are getting tighter, dugs, I'll give you that. But in the end I reckon both sides will back down and take the deal.

Not long now.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

For all you carnivores, I see the EU are on the point of banning "veggieburger' and other fake news terms after lobbying from the meat/agri lobby...and they've already banned the use of "milk" for oat milk etc.

For balance, since people seem to think remainers think the EU is perfect: I think this is bonkers and it makes me highly annoyed.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

yep £16 a kg for rump in the local award winning butcher.  T

?? Really, that's dirt cheap, and cheaper than Aldi's cheapest!  Are you sure it's not £16 a standard 8oz /200g Steak? About £80 kg. 

£16/kg is only 1.6p a gram, meaning a 200g steak is only £3.20!! Aldi is £5.

HOLA4421

Nicola Sturgeon on course to provoke ‘full-blown constitutional crisis’ over Scottish independence, leaked memo admits

Brexit means Boris Johnson’s argument against Indyref2 – that it was a ‘once in a generation’ vote – is ‘no longer effective’

The argument the prime minister uses against a second referendum – that it was a “once in a generation” vote – no longer holds water because of the Brexit vote, it warns.

The SNP leapt on the memo, prepared for Michael Gove and other ministers, as proof that the government is “in panic mode”, as polls show a consistent and growing lead for the Yes campaign.

It was revealed, by Bloomberg News, as a leading pollster said women were now swinging behind independence, wiping out the “gender gap” that had previously shown greater support among men.

Mr Johnson is expected to refuse the so-called Indyref2, even if – as seems certain – the SNP triumphs in next May’s elections to the Holyrood parliament and claims a mandate.

But the 21-page memo admits that “Brexit has changed the game”, after two-thirds of Scots ended up with the decision to leave the EU they had opposed.

“If the SNP builds on this momentum then the endpoint could be a full-blown constitutional crisis or a second independence referendum,” it states, Bloomberg reported.

“Either of these outcomes would consume significant political capital for the government.”

It then suggests turning to Brussels to dash hopes of reversing Brexit, by “co-opting the EU into demonstrating that there is no viable pathway to renewed membership”.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/nicola-sturgeon-scottish-independence-indyref2-brexit-snp-b1182018.html

Excellent news for the Scottish - if they can escape the corrupt and evil Tory yoke.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

'Brexit is like moving house' Gove tells business in 'disastrous' conference call

Ministers tell industry to brace for no-deal in “shocking, embarrassing and not constructive” call with 250 business leaders.

Telegraph

Its more interesting that pro brexit telegraph is starting to drop the party line... 

Will be just the express left at this rate. Cut out your Jan 1st union jack next to the Diana lives cover story

HOLA4424

?? Really, that's dirt cheap, and cheaper than Aldi's cheapest!  Are you sure it's not £16 a standard 8oz /200g Steak? About £80 kg. 

£16/kg is only 1.6p a gram, meaning a 200g steak is only £3.20!! Aldi is £5.

A 224g rump steak in aldi is £2.25 last time I went in ??  The big daddy one 454g was £4.59

Actually come to think of it it was £18 a kg for rump from the  butcher.

HOLA4425

A 224g rump steak in aldi is £2.25 last time I went in ??  The big daddy one 454g was £4.59

Actually come to think of it it was £18 a kg for rump from the  butcher.

Maybe i am thinking of the 28 day aged stuff? I will be there tomorrow so will check. Also pretty sure Aldi engage in reginal pricing, so wont be 1005 the same all round the country.