House Price Crash Forum

Brexit What Happens Next Thread ---multiple merged threads.

• Replies 142.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GrizzlyDave

• Confusion of VIs

• jonb2

• thehowler

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I do.   https://twitter.com/housepricemania

1409 pages....you guys should have your own forum !!!

Oh OK. Shame that really, but hey it looks like @IMHAL helped us both out. Nice repost though, thanks ! Any thoughts ?  

Posted Images

Short answer......this 'man'.....worm tongue. Stoking division, focusing on the cost of compromise to the exclusion of any benefits. He seeks relevance and influence without taking or accepting any responsibility.   

image.jpeg.a50b34e396d5f8c4f49b325dabf9a29f.jpeg

He doesn't accept sole responsibility for Brexit, he uses the plural 'We' in this headline. This is very nice and really quite generous of him. ❤️

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/investing/news/nigel-farage-won-brexit-now-want-little-guy-take-back-control/

Good photo as well in that article. Sums up my opinion nicely 👍

He doesn't accept sole responsibility for Brexit, he uses the plural 'We' in this headline. This is very nice and really quite generous of him. ❤️

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/investing/news/nigel-farage-won-brexit-now-want-little-guy-take-back-control/

Good photo as well in that article. Sums up my opinion nicely 👍

It's behind a pay wall. A summary would be nice.

It was only the title that I was referring to, although I can read the whole article by clicking on the link for some reason. I'm definitely not a subscriber, strange. Summary is Nige is good.

If you can't see the photo, it is copied below for your convenience.

Nige.jpg

Just go into your browser settings and disable JS for the telegraph site, then you can feast on as much right wing bile as you like. 

Yes, forgot I had the js blocker add in and had already blocked the telegraph. This was confusing me earlier.

Right wing bile is the best kind of bile though. Stronger, more stable, and with impeccable manners. It's the left wing bile we need to be careful of. Nasty stuff that hates The Queen.

Small changes, almost at the edge of perception...

Behold, first sighting in the wild of the new UKCA logo that will have to be stamped on all packaging from 1st Jan...

Why am I really irritated by this? It could be because I see this as an extra cost that a large portion of our exporting businesses will have to stump up for dual compliance. They all need this like a hole in the head. What a waste of time. 

Why am I really irritated by this? It could be because I see this as an extra cost that a large portion of our exporting businesses will have to stump up for dual compliance. They all need this like a hole in the head. What a waste of time. 

It won't apply in NI either - where they will have to use CE or approve another symbol to show EU compliance.

I don't like the font, the C looks like a bad 70's sci-fi movie font to me.

Taking back control. Each small incremental shift takes us further out of the EU orbit and in time the scale of divergence will grow.

Question for me is how far out on the Brexit moonshot do we have to go before rejoining might become realistic, as the further we go, the tougher our re-entry.

It won't apply in NI either - where they will have to use CE or approve another symbol to show EU compliance.

Taking back control. Each small incremental shift takes us further out of the EU orbit and in time the scale of divergence will grow.

Question for me is how far out on the Brexit moonshot do we have to go before rejoining might become realistic, as the further we go, the tougher our re-entry.

Here's a very useful site which explains all about the UKCA

https://ukca.org.uk/

To read the Telegraph, simply turn off Javascript in your browser.

Re your question. I don't see your apparent dilema. If it is economically benefitial for businesses to rejoin then it will not be onerous. It is the nonsensical divergence from the EU with no apparent benefit, and with all the costs attached that make it so difficult for businesses to make the changes that they are being asked to make. 

Here's a very useful site which explains all about the UKCA

https://ukca.org.uk/

lol, good one, got me searching around that site lol.🤣

Well I actually have to go through the process and I'm not irritated by it at all.

The standards will be largely identical, and therefore there will not be significant extra cost. If the standards diverge, then there will be a good reason for it.

I'm more interested in enforcement and what will be done to ensure that standards are met. The UK has been pretty woeful at this in the past, which is probably reflected in the amount of shoddy goods you can buy.

I'm more interested in enforcement and what will be done to ensure that standards are met. The UK has been pretty woeful at this in the past, which is probably reflected in the amount of shoddy goods you can buy.

Saw these masks yesterday on sale in UK...no CE or UKCA marking, though I thought PPE needed it. So many loopholes.

And the last sentence isn't very reassuring...

mask.jpg

Radio silence from the negotiations...deal in progress.

Looking at calendar, they'll need two to three weeks minimum for the texts/translations/ratification and might have to exclude some things or delay them to bypass full parliament votes. Otherwise it's an implementation period...

Thus deadline for the deal announcement looks to me to be week of the 23rd Nov...after that it gets tricky.

Well I actually have to go through the process and I'm not irritated by it at all.

The standards will be largely identical, and therefore there will not be significant extra cost. If the standards diverge, then there will be a good reason for it.

But there will be costs, for substantially identical standards to that which already exist. Is it not also the case that many exporters will have to now conform to two sets of standards, even if they are identical? 

If you are not irritated by that, I am sure that many will be.

If standards diverge then businesses that export to the EU will have to ensure that they comply with both, which may be tricky/impractical in some instances. I don't think that we will have much say in setting standards going forward.......the large trade blocks dictate.....we shall see.  

I don't think the EU prevented us from enforcing product confomity, so why should it be any different going forward?

Edited by IMHAL

Has the UK really caved?

Be surprised if the UK has accepted perpetual dynamic alignment in exchange for tariff/quota free access, as per the Jason Hunter tweet, but who knows? Only briefings I've seen suggest talks will go into next week and might still need a political shunt.

Regards Johnson ignoring the EU letter, I guess they will now send a reasoned opinion which kicks the can for another two months. January is going to be lively, with or without a FTA. At present I'm just hoping we're not still locked down.

Deal announced with Kenya today...at least we won't run out of green beans.