House Price Crash Forum

Mayor of Brussels: "The far right are not welcome". Braverman and Farage silenced.

HOLA441
53 minutes ago, Confusion of VIs said:

Care to explain why? 

A mayor or local authority in the UK could do the same here . IIRC a couple of years ago Boris Jonson banned Conservative MPs from attending the same conference on the grounds that it was an extreme group aiming to ferment division.

Here's Farages explanation

I saw his speech at the event. Farage basically said the banks are behind it. They have the whip hand in Brussels, and make sure no one pushes against the globalisation agenda.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
17 hours ago, Bruce Banner said:

Yes, an incompetent far right wannabe :lol:.

I'm not sure if it is incompetence. 

She perceives it to be in her political interests to come across as right wing in public.   But behind the scenes she is answerable to Tory business interests, who want a high level of immigration to sustain high rents and suppress wages.

Edited by Ballyk
Gr

HOLA443

So essentially the regime in Brussels is explicitly stating that it is opposed to freedom of speech and the right of assembly.

I'm in the middle ground, verging on apolitical and always look at the agreed law, process and precedent.  The far right are entitled their opinions.  As far as I understand it, it is not illegal to be a racist, let alone far right.  Incitement to racial hatred is illegal and has to be taken on a case by case basis.  People cannot simply be labeled and pre-emptively sanctioned because someone powerful or a noisy group doesn't like their opinions, or in anticipation of something they might say or do.

People are fretting about the populists and right wingers, but the real threat may be from those determined to shut them down without any concerns about whether that impinges on the lives of the general public in the process.

It doesn't feel like Europe has fully recovered from the Nazis running riot.  That started 94 years ago with their emergence as a political power.

That's a long time to hold on to trauma.

HOLA444
6 minutes ago, hotblack42 said:

So essentially the regime in Brussels is explicitly stating that it is opposed to freedom of speech and the right of assembly.

I'm in the middle ground, verging on apolitical and always look at the agreed law, process and precedent.  The far right are entitled their opinions.  As far as I understand it, it is not illegal to be a racist, let alone far right.  Incitement to racial hatred is illegal and has to be taken on a case by case basis.  People cannot simply be labeled and pre-emptively sanctioned because someone powerful or a noisy group doesn't like their opinions, or in anticipation of something they might say or do.

People are fretting about the populists and right wingers, but the real threat may be from those determined to shut them down without any concerns about whether that impinges on the lives of the general public in the process.

It doesn't feel like Europe has fully recovered from the Nazis running riot.  That started 94 years ago with their emergence as a political power.

That's a long time to hold on to trauma.

The far right are entitled their opinions "

Maybe a slip of the tongue, but this gathering wasn't 'far right'. Well to the right that's for certain, but far right? I dont think so.

Point is (as you've stated) differing opinions aren't welcome in Brussels. This then is NOT a democracy, and as Farage says we did well to leave. For me they just applauded the UK's Brexit decision.

HOLA445
35 minutes ago, hotblack42 said:

Couldn't agree more with this. People seem to go into stand-by mode if bad things happen to 'bad' people without realising they're also likely to become the 'bad' people at some point.

Too many historical horror stories to count should caution against such ignorance. I guess the short term dopamine hit outweighs long term survival these days :blink:

22 minutes ago, MarkD said:

This then is NOT a democracy, and as Farage says we did well to leave. For me they just applauded the UK's Brexit decision.

+1

Another benefit of Brexit to add to the growing list. Just think people were straight up trying to ignore the vote, the lack of democracy is so ingrained with these types.

Edited by Huggy

HOLA446
Just now, Huggy said:

+1

Another benefit of Brexit to add to the growing list. Just think people were straight up trying to ignore the vote, the lack of democracy is so ingrained with these types.

I say again... Nothing to do with the EU or Brexit, just a city mayor on a power trip, funny though and embarrassing for Sunak and the "Tories".

HOLA447
HOLA448
1 hour ago, Bruce Banner said:

I say again... Nothing to do with the EU or Brexit, just a city mayor on a power trip, funny though and embarrassing for Sunak and the "Tories".

Disagree. The evidence is he was acting on orders.

HOLA449

These conservatives are barely right leaning. This is a blatant restriction on free speech and political opinion. Banning freedom of speech is exactly what I expected of Brussels and why I'm glad we left.

HOLA4410
2 hours ago, Huggy said:

People seem to go into stand-by mode if bad things happen to 'bad' people without realising they're also likely to become the 'bad' people at some point.

Exactly. 

Wonder what an eastern Ukrainian farmer would have thought if in 1930 you'd told him he'd be labelled a "bad person" by the Russian commies in the 30's and any Jewish relatives, friends etc by the Germans in the 40s. With a rather too high probability of being killed.

HOLA4411

From the Moscow attacks to 9 11 from Charlie hebdo to the Berlin market attack from 7/7 to Manchester arena. The far right definitely are not the biggest threat to Europe and if anything needs banning it is statistically those groups most likely to actually cause problems.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
21 hours ago, Huggy said:

Equality, but not the kind of....

Oh, they actually say equity. Don't want to get those two mixed up, they wouldn't want to be hypocritical now would they ;)

Now you mention it, these days you often see the word equity in places where they would have used equality only a couple of years ago.

I assumed it was just ignorance, i.e. the writer doesn't know the difference.  But perhaps not ?

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
31 minutes ago, kzb said:

Now you mention it, these days you often see the word equity in places where they would have used equality only a couple of years ago.

I assumed it was just ignorance, i.e. the writer doesn't know the difference.  But perhaps not ?

Oh yes, they know exactly what they mean.

The more power someone thinks they have, and the fewer consequences they feel they'll suffer from being scum, the more brazen they'll be in their evildoing.

Advanced Diversity, Managed Inclusion, and "some animals are more equal than others" will be the next amendments ;)

HOLA4416
1 hour ago, Pebbles said:

These conservatives are barely right leaning. This is a blatant restriction on free speech and political opinion. Banning freedom of speech is exactly what I expected of Brussels and why I'm glad we left.

Braverman and Cates are very right leaning. As is Victor Orban. Under Boris Johnson’s Brexit government in 2020, Conservative backbencher Daniel Kawczynski was reprimanded for attending a National Conservatism conference in Rome, with a Tory spokesman condemning the views of some other speakers, including Mr Orban.

HOLA4417
5 hours ago, Pebbles said:

You think these views are moderate?

GB News, "Why on earth because there is one unsavoury character should someone not be free to go and speak"

Jonathan Ashworth does a quick google, "One speaker is under investigation for right wing extremism. Another speaker argued that Christchurch mosque shooter had legitimate concerns. Another speaker argued gay marriage is a destructive experiment. There's a parade of extremist characters associated with this conference. So I'm surprised Rishi Sunak hasn't blocked Braverman from speaking at it"

Boris banned his MPs from attending. 

HOLA4418
4 hours ago, TheResponsibleHouseBuyer said:

i made the comment in another thread but exactly said the same thing. Meanwhile 1st world problems ignored. Boils my blood....

Exactly, totally ignoring what really needs to be fixed, and can't mention the B word.... infuriating.;)

HOLA4419

No surprise to just read that Mr Miserable and Making Loads of Money at it Douglas Murray was at last years conference in London. That shite that comes out of his cake hole though - oh lordy. Still I reckon we should give it up for Sadiq Khan for allowing that conference to go ahead, I'm all for freedom of expression.

HOLA4420
7 hours ago, hurlerontheditch said:

right wing extremists

gay marriage opponents

Christchurch mosque shooter had legitimate concerns

So if you do not support gay marriage you are a right wing extremist?

Thats nearly all religious folk in that bucket then.

As for the Christchurch nutter thing thats classic smear ... whats the actual detail of that?  Maybe is terrible maybe is a bit distasteful what they said but its floated with not detail.  

Can some find the speaker and the actual comment as I genuinely want to see for myself.

Still not reason enough to stop the meeting unless actual laws are bing broken.

Denying things may feel virtuous but it leads to a victim mentality and that can be dangerous down the line.

if something is bull then the oxygen of discourse will tamper it.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
5 hours ago, Confusion of VIs said:

You think these views are moderate?

Boris banned his MPs from attending. 

Yes i don't think they are far right at all. Boris was pretty left wing he chopped and changed his mind on brexit and spent a huge amount of money on furlough.

HOLA4423
15 hours ago, Fromage Frais said:

So if you do not support gay marriage you are a right wing extremist?

Thats nearly all religious folk in that bucket then.

As for the Christchurch nutter thing thats classic smear ... whats the actual detail of that?  Maybe is terrible maybe is a bit distasteful what they said but its floated with not detail.  

Can some find the speaker and the actual comment as I genuinely want to see for myself.

Still not reason enough to stop the meeting unless actual laws are bing broken.

Denying things may feel virtuous but it leads to a victim mentality and that can be dangerous down the line.

if something is bull then the oxygen of discourse will tamper it.

The point being made was that the PM should have stopped a member of the parliamentary party going to it. Same as he should also remove the whip from Truss 

HOLA4424
2 hours ago, hurlerontheditch said:

The point being made was that the PM should have stopped a member of the parliamentary party going to it. Same as he should also remove the whip from Truss 

Not a good point though.

Because one is held by large swathes of the population and the other is a simple smear and anyone saying it should have the context at hand.

Nobody gives 2 shits what Sunak says he is a lame duck and everybody is planning their next steps now.

HOLA4425
15 hours ago, Chunketh said:

Massive own goal here. Should have let them speak. People are perfectly capable of ignoring the lunatics all by themselves.

Exactly

You can see the logic economy crap yes for many, crime up part of that undertaken by illegals yep tell you what lets to the no moaning hatey things act that way the problems do not exist any more.

What a great idea.

The trans stuff is such a read herring they are useful idiots for vague blasphemy legislation coming down the road.

Edited by Fromage Frais