House Price Crash Forum

Traders make £2bn bet against the pound

petetong

HOLA441

"Traders have wagered a £2bn bet on a plunge in the pound after the Bank of England failed to deliver on a widely expected interest rate rise earlier this month.

Shorts predicting a pound slump have soared to their highest level since June 2020, weekly trading data suggests. It marks a sharp reversal from just a few weeks ago, when bets for the pound were at a near four-month high as investors geared up for a string of rate rises to curb the surge in inflation."

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
4 minutes ago, Shrink Proof said:

Yes, any decade now...

Exactly. Could never see any BOE Governor talking like this:

Its governor, Adrian Orr, warned that homeowners in New Zealand’s red-hot housing market had to prepare for tougher times ahead.

“Homeowners who have just entered the market with extremely high leverage levels have to be incredibly wary and have to understand they have to weather the higher interest rates,” Orr said.

Edited by dpg50000
Formatting

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
32 minutes ago, dpg50000 said:

“Homeowners who have just entered the market with extremely high leverage levels have to be incredibly wary and have to understand they have to weather the higher interest rates,” Orr said.

We'll find out exactly what they "own" once IRs shoot for the moon. They might be a little surprised that a home wasn't it, and they actually owned a big fat unrepayable mortgage instead as the bank walks off with their keys.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
1 hour ago, househunter123 said:

I've been buying currency ( forex trading ) of naitons who are raising interest rates.  I dont see why you'd keep your money in the £ any more if you can avoid it.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
13 minutes ago, dugsbody said:

Bookmarked

For when though? If this was the Big Remain Thread, if interest rates are not at 15% and the average house price at 2x average salary tomorrow afternoon, that would be 'proof' of failure.

18 months? 😃

HOLA4414
8 hours ago, petetong said:

"Traders have wagered a £2bn bet on a plunge in the pound after the Bank of England failed to deliver on a widely expected interest rate rise earlier this month.

Shorts predicting a pound slump have soared to their highest level since June 2020, weekly trading data suggests. It marks a sharp reversal from just a few weeks ago, when bets for the pound were at a near four-month high as investors geared up for a string of rate rises to curb the surge in inflation."

Presumably somewhere though some party must have the other side of that trade ie a £2bn bet the pound rises?

If you put a bet on Red Rum to win the bookmaker has an equal and opposite exposure ie an asset if he loses.

HOLA4415
1 hour ago, Trampa501 said:

I remember when £2 billion was seen as an enormous sum of money <  puts Dr Evil face on >

Yes indeed. My own pension and various investments are all overseas, so I'm around 1/1000th of that total. So really it isn't that much, not at the scale of the bond market.

BTW, this is part of my investment strategy. Any UK stocks I do hold all have international earnings.

HOLA4416
1 minute ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

Yes indeed. My own pension and various investments are all overseas, so I'm around 1/1000th of that total. So really it isn't that much, not at the scale of the bond market.

BTW, this is part of my investment strategy. Any UK stocks I do hold all have international earnings.

Quite likely we will be at Euro parity, then Dollar parity sometime this decade. 

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
15 minutes ago, scottbeard said:

Both of which was said on HPC last decade.  It didn’t come true then and it won’t now. 

We are one dimensional we know the problems of the UK, let’s be honest the US and EU also have problems but we do not talk about them as it’s not relevant to our day to day situation 

HOLA4420
20 minutes ago, scottbeard said:

Both of which was said on HPC last decade.  It didn’t come true then and it won’t now. 

The UK is already being cut to ribbons by import inflation. Any further declines of GBP vs USD will be murderous.

Recession ahoy!! 👊

HOLA4421
52 minutes ago, zugzwang said:

The UK is already being cut to ribbons by import inflation. Any further declines of GBP vs USD will be murderous.

Recession ahoy!! 👊

We need to hire Gideon (no not Georgie)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gideon_Gono

HOLA4422
13 hours ago, petetong said:

Need to ask George Soros if he is tempted as he did rather well last time.

https://www.thebalance.com/black-wednesday-george-soros-bet-against-britain-1978944

HOLA4423
5 hours ago, Trampa501 said:

I remember when £2 billion was seen as an enormous sum of money <  puts Dr Evil face on >

I recall the producer of Wall Street (1 and 2) saying how when doing his research into the stock markets for each movie all the figures involved had transformed from being counted in millions for the first film to being counted in billions for the follow up.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425