House Price Crash Forum

No UK Gov covid Economic plan - Is there a mass homelessness or food crisis plan when Furlough ££ stops ?

HOLA441

As discussed Here on Hpc with the lack of covid Economic planning and Here with the Food planning

I wonder if there is a plan for dealing with mass homelessness when Furlough ££ stops ?

I work in the community sector aiming to prepare for shelter & food disaster recovery in the UK and I am not seeing it. 

There has been very little response to my research enquiries to find it or offer help / resources to plan for it . I have had no response from Emergency planners and can find very little info publicly available 

Perhaps there is no plan, just fire fighting 

Any ideas  ? (besides more money printing / can kicking )    I think Furlough ends end of Oct. So it's 3 months away.

EDIT: I did post this Food report before, but it does not go far enough imo with local veg growing / self reliance IMO 

Part One of the two-part National Food Strategy contains urgent recommendations to support this country through the turbulence caused by the COVID-19 pandemic, and to prepare for the end of the EU exit transition period on 31 December 2020.

We may need these links ...Disaster shelter case studies - http://shelterprojects.org/

https://www.sheltercluster.org/resources

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
1 minute ago, Saving For a Space Ship said:

As discussed Here on Hpc with the lack of covid Economic planning and Here with the Food planning

I wonder if there is a plan for dealing with mass homelessness when Furlough ££ stops ?

I work in the community sector aiming to prepare for shelter & food disaster recovery in the UK as I am not seeing it. 

There has been very little response to my research enquiries to find it or offer help / resources to plan for it . I have had no response from Emergency planners and can find very little publicly available 

Perhaps there is no plan, just fire fighting 

Any ideas  ? (besides more money printing / can kicking )    I think Furlough ends end of Oct. So it's 3 months away.

We may need these links ...Disaster shelter case studies - http://shelterprojects.org/ https://www.sheltercluster.org/resources

They are already talking of extending the furlough...this is basically turning into UBI. Just like QE, once you start stuff like this it becomes impossible to stop it. The economy and the pound are heading for hell in a basket, and it won’t just be those on furlough now who will be struggling in 6 months time. Johnson and Sunak haven’t go a clue (and I voted for them). I see crime surging massively, especially with our soft police who run away from criminals. Homelessness in the cities, especially amongst casual worker types who pull pints etc is going to explode. It’s going to be horrible, and we are not prepared for it.

HOLA443
10 minutes ago, HovelinHove said:

They are already talking of extending the furlough...this is basically turning into UBI. Just like QE, once you start stuff like this it becomes impossible to stop it. The economy and the pound are heading for hell in a basket, and it won’t just be those on furlough now who will be struggling in 6 months time. Johnson and Sunak haven’t go a clue (and I voted for them). I see crime surging massively, especially with our soft police who run away from criminals. Homelessness in the cities, especially amongst casual worker types who pull pints etc is going to explode. It’s going to be horrible, and we are not prepared for it.

It appears to be going that way. 

Is there any evidence of best practise globally, from other countries planning for mass homelessness or food insecurity when their furlough ends ? 

Extension or not , it will end one way or the other with the consequences of mass unemployment 

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship

HOLA444
20 minutes ago, Saving For a Space Ship said:

It appears to be going that way. 

Is there any evidence of best practise globally, from other countries planning for mass homelessness or food insecurity when their furlough ends ? 

Extension or not , it will end one way or the other with the consequences of mass unemployment 

The countries that would be good at planning for it are unlikely to experience it as they have large safety nets in place already...the social democracy Nordic type places. I used to work with the homeless the 2000s, soup kitchen kind of stuff, and mostly people with mental health or alcohol drug abuse issues. This is going to be different. I think that the government will have to protect renters as much as they have home owners or there will be big trouble.

HOLA445

The thing with endless extensions is that this is a very unusual state handout, in that it is anti-means-tested, i.e. furloughed employees, and self-employed people getting the grant, are paid in proportion to their previous earnings. The more you (used to) earn the more you get, just the opposite of other benefits.

By 2025 it's going to be a bit odd for people to still be living on state handouts assessed based on their earning level 6 years previously.

No odder than council tax bands though...

HOLA446

Easily solved by introducing a decent citizens income for all.  Listen there isn't going to be any jobs for millions of people to go back to, ever again. 

This is the end of the non jobs and zombie companies that have been giving the impression that the system was actually working, since the 1980's. 

Just give everyone £1k a month and stop fooking about.  The b4st4rds where quick enough to bail out the banks to the tune of £500 billion in 2008.

HOLA447
HOLA448
2 hours ago, Saving For a Space Ship said:

local veg growing

This is a trap designed to kill off the gullible.

Subsitence farming is all about calories. You need to be growing food which gives you more out than you put in; wheat, potatoes, chickens, beef, sheep.

Vegetables leave your body pretty much the same as they go in. Growing lettuce is a luxury born of extraordinary privilege.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
24 minutes ago, Social Justice League said:

Easily solved by introducing a decent citizens income for all.

No - there would be a total lack of incentive for anyone to get off throe backside and work. Do a worthwhile degree, an apprenticeship etc.  

A total lack of creativity and enterprise. No self respect.  All psychologoc al studies demonstrate that working gives self respect. It aslo means meetibng opeopkle on different plains and devrloping communication skillsz tyhat will not be earned in the local betting shop.

1k a month spent in betting shops or wetherspoons.  

25 minutes ago, Social Justice League said:

Just give everyone £1k a month and stop fooking about. 

no - you pay for it then - *I do not work to pay tax to give to people who cannot be bothered to work.

26 minutes ago, Social Justice League said:

The b4st4rds where quick enough to bail out the banks to the tune of £500 billion in 2008.

Which made them a shareholder - some shares have been sold and money re-couped.  As a taxpayer I do not want to be a shareholder in someone who sits at home all day doing f all other than go to the betting shop,.

Giving 1k a month to some waster who does not have any desire to work  is a drain on hard working taxpayers.

Maybe give everyone 1M a week that will make everyone happy.

If a person wants money - work - simples.  

32 minutes ago, scottbeard said:

Why would there be mass homelessness? We have housing benefit.  Our streets aren’t currently lined by the long term unemployed and lazy?

Ah the voice of reason again from Scott.

So much hysteria from some here.  

HOLA4411
2 hours ago, HovelinHove said:

The Tory boys had ten years to fix the economy prior to the arrival of C-19. Thousands of lives were destroyed by austerity.

And still you voted for them!

So what does that make you?

HOLA4412
22 minutes ago, richmondtw said:

No - there would be a total lack of incentive for anyone to get off throe backside and work.

What work will this be then?  Non jobs are the cause of all this, i.e jobs that are not needed in the first place.  Automation will take all the professional jobs at some point too.

People are still thinking about 'work'  in terms of the industial revolution of 1850.

There isn't going to be enough/any paid work to keep everyone "working".  Just give people the cash to consume or change the whole consumer capitalist system.

Edited by Social Justice League

HOLA4413
22 minutes ago, richmondtw said:

no - you pay for it then - *I do not work to pay tax to give to people who cannot be bothered to work.

Taxpayers will be paying for it anyway, as the country is going to be paying millions to sit on the dole for decades to come.  You would get £1k a month too, as would everyone who still works in paid employment.

It's not a matter of "can't be bothered to work".  There won't be any jobs to do for millions of people.

Edited by Social Justice League

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

I believe the answer may be to invade France, sweep in from the east and take them by surprise.  We could take their wines back to the UK, via a mass beach landing in Normandy, and be back for supper.

Hard times call for radical solutions.

HOLA4417

No chance of this turning into UBI, and - according to the illuminated and open minded voices here - foodbanks aren't needed and no one is suffering other than needing to cut back on booze, fags, and sky tv.

I have a feeling the same voices are enjoying furlough...until it stops

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Is there anyway out if this?  It king of feels like we are a shark that is drowning because we have stopped swimming.

My suggestion won't be popular, but I would suggest the simple solution would have be to have no furlough.  This would have kept more people working (a lot of people seemed very happy to just relax at home).  It seems Corona isn't that dangerous, and different countries seem to have very different ways to define who died of Corona, with the UK definition being very broad, and almost designed to show a high death rate.

I think they will have try to easy furlough, but it would have been much better not to get into this in the first place.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
2 hours ago, erat_forte said:

The thing with endless extensions is that this is a very unusual state handout, in that it is anti-means-tested, i.e. furloughed employees, and self-employed people getting the grant, are paid in proportion to their previous earnings. The more you (used to) earn the more you get, just the opposite of other benefits.

By 2025 it's going to be a bit odd for people to still be living on state handouts assessed based on their earning level 6 years previously.

Not only that, but at what point do 

A) people who were actually unemployed or otherwise ineligible for a handout (furlough or SEISS) when this all began

B the employed who continue to work throughout

Rise up and point out the inherent unfairness? A brief safety net to keep businesses on ice throughout a one off event, sure. Keeping people in clover indefinitely whilst some starve and others graft? Simply not sustainable politically. It will end with BoJo's head on a spike. 

If it is to be extended temporally, it must be extended to all in the form of a universal income or the Tories must face the consequences of a crash. 

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425