• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Arpeggio

• Peter Hun

• Confusion of VIs

• Bruce Banner

HOLA442

Oh my God, the humanity of it all!  Bodies of average people piling up everywhere, and places like Sweden that refused hard lockdowns that were essentially wiped clean of all life.  Not to mention that Africa and India are like charnel houses.

Oh wait, it's nothing like that at all.  We have a new virus that is fatal to around 0.3% of those infected, mostly kills people at or older than the average lifespan anyway and which leaves many people unaware that they've even had it.

Yep, we definitely need to screw the economy even more to 'protect' us from this dire threat.

For the slow of mind:  This is another 911 type power grab and an attempt to make a scapegoat for the inevitable collapse of the ponzi economy that the West has been running since 2008 after the financial system effectively signed its death warrant.

100% agree.  There's more to all this than saving everyone from a COVID death.

HOLA443

Oh my God, the humanity of it all!  Bodies of average people piling up everywhere, and places like Sweden that refused hard lockdowns that were essentially wiped clean of all life.  Not to mention that Africa and India are like charnel houses.

The divergence will become wider as time goes by. Sweden C19 deaths according to WHO October 8th = 0, 9th = 0, 10th = 0, 11th = 0, 12th = 0, 13th = 0

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

England and Wales have suffered among the highest per capita death tolls of the coronavirus pandemic, according to research into the impact of the first wave of infections on 21 industrialised countries.

Deaths from all causes were 37% higher than expected in England and Wales between mid-February and the end of May, a grim statistic that was only marginally worse in Spain, the hardest-hit country in the study, where all-cause mortality rose 38% over the same period.

In all three of the nations, the rise amounts to 100 extra deaths per 100,000 people and includes those who died directly from coronavirus but also people who lost their lives to indirect causes of the pandemic, such as cancelled medical treatment and a reluctance to go to hospital when they became ill with other conditions.

The analysis published in Nature Medicine reveals that countries that fared well went into lockdown early or had effective and robust community-based test and trace programmes in operation throughout the first wave. The UK went into lockdown late compared with other countries and halted test and trace efforts because it did not have the capacity to continue them.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/oct/14/covid-19-england-and-wales-among-highest-per-capita-death-tolls

By report date.

Guess what happened to average mortality in the months after May?

What do you think about the average age of a Covid fatality being 82.4 and the average life expectancy being 81.2?

HOLA447

I agree with you, he had a couple of options, and by the time he went for the lockdown, it was far too late and loose.. (even though I wanted Sweden) 

This latest outbreak, however seems to be driven by schools and Universities returning. 

If these triage figures are anything to go by, seems we may be about to go into decline in cases and admissions to hospital. 

20201014_095911.jpg

Nobody wants to be Sweden any more.

Not even the Swedes.

960x0.jpg?fit=scale

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidnikel/2020/10/14/sweden-students-told-to-stop-partying-as-coronavirus-cases-rise/

After months of being the poster-child for a laissez-faire approach to the coronavirus pandemic, Sweden seems to be toughening its stance as authorities fear a second wave. Students are being warned to stop gathering for parties and other events, while Swedish regions will soon get the power to introduce stricter local guidelines.

Students warned

The Swedish Public Health Agency recently announced that outbreaks in at least eight regions have been traced back to private parties among university students. Higher Education Minister Matilda Ernkrans told Sveriges Radio that students “need to focus on their education and not partying,” otherwise campuses could be closed as they were earlier in the year.

To date, approximately 200 of Sweden’s 400,000 university students have received a positive test result after attending a student party or gathering.

So far, Sweden’s students appear to be taking the warning seriously. The organiser of an annual 400-person party in Stockholm told SVT it was a “boring but rational decision to take” following its cancellation.

HOLA448

Clearly not. 

If you want to go down the lockdown route once its endemic the only way is to have a full army on the streets lockdown for a couple of months ala china, then seal the border, ala china.

People dont seem keen on that idea for some reason (cure worse than disease perhaps?). So we are left with worst of all worlds.

Apparently you cant lock down the at risk groups as that would break their rights. So why lockdown anyone by extension?

So the choices seem to be a 3 week lockdown in September or let it rip for a bit until a 3 month lockdown during a no deal Brexit  (and Merry Christmas !) is the only option.

Which would you have preferred ? We must now be slipping out of the zone where testing and tracking could be effective but a factor to make the question more complex is when will an effective testing and tracking system be ready ?

Going by the internet trolling and BJs statements it looks to me they are more interested in building an irrational constituency to stem the Tories rising unpopularity - Starmers cooperation was unhelpful, conversely his intervention yesterday would have helped in that regard.

However I’m pretty sure if it were possible to unravel and separate half the population from the other + possible to do this without political suicide they would have. 

HOLA449

Not even the Swedes.

960x0.jpg?fit=scale

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidnikel/2020/10/14/sweden-students-told-to-stop-partying-as-coronavirus-cases-rise/

After months of being the poster-child for a laissez-faire approach to the coronavirus pandemic, Sweden seems to be toughening its stance as authorities fear a second wave. Students are being warned to stop gathering for parties and other events, while Swedish regions will soon get the power to introduce stricter local guidelines.

Students warned

The Swedish Public Health Agency recently announced that outbreaks in at least eight regions have been traced back to private parties among university students. Higher Education Minister Matilda Ernkrans told Sveriges Radio that students “need to focus on their education and not partying,” otherwise campuses could be closed as they were earlier in the year.

To date, approximately 200 of Sweden’s 400,000 university students have received a positive test result after attending a student party or gathering.

So far, Sweden’s students appear to be taking the warning seriously. The organiser of an annual 400-person party in Stockholm told SVT it was a “boring but rational decision to take” following its cancellation.

Johnson does. He had Tegnell on conference call with Prof Gupta only the other week! 🙈

HOLA4410

So the choices seem to be a 3 week lockdown in September or let it rip for a bit until a 3 month lockdown during a no deal Brexit  (and Merry Christmas !) is the only option.

Which would you have preferred ? We must now be slipping out of the zone where testing and tracking could be effective but a factor to make the question more complex is when will an effective testing and tracking system be ready ?

Going by the internet trolling and BJs statements it looks to me they are more interested in building an irrational constituency to stem the Tories rising unpopularity - Starmers cooperation was unhelpful, conversely his intervention yesterday would have helped in that regard.

However I’m pretty sure if it were possible to unravel and separate half the population from the other + possible to do this without political suicide they would have. 

What happens post 3 week lockdown? 

Whats the magic this time? 

Test and trace and ignore? Might as well just skip to the end 80 % of time 

HOLA4411

What happens post 3 week lockdown? 

Whats the magic this time? 

Test and trace and ignore? Might as well just skip to the end 80 % of time 

Government has got to take some responsibility for people not isolating because of their useless messaging. I've got colleagues telling students they need to come in even when parents have symptoms.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Not even the Swedes.

960x0.jpg?fit=scale

Students warned

Screenshot_20201014-155335.thumb.png.f02ec7eaabb909f03334b37a7550e023.png

Lol

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

On Oct 10th the 7-day moving average was 81.9.

On Sept 10th the 7-day moving average was 11.0

i.e. the death rate is doubling every ten days.

And how is this relevant?

We are talking about the last seven days

HOLA4417

Recycled Covid swab anyone?

Students given already used Covid tests

Got to love those outsourcers.

Yes, I think that proves you can get COVID from a nasal swab!

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Yes, I think that proves you can get COVID from a nasal swab!

Back in March CDC's tests were contaminated with COVID19.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/04/cdcs-failed-coronavirus-tests-were-tainted-with-coronavirus-feds-confirm/

Gotta get the virus out there, "Great Reset" 'aint gonna reset itself!

Edited by Arpeggio

HOLA4421

Maybe not but the North is paying a heavy price now.

And would've done anyway. There's a mix of factors in play here - the shockingly poor state of UK politics is one, but so is the unwillingness to admit nature is not completely controllable and that there's a good chunk of "well, that's the world for you" when it comes to disease and where and how hard it hits (especially if you're not prepared to go down the unacceptably authoritarian path, which sadly some posters on here are prepared to). We've still got Labour going on about more damaging measures in any case.

HOLA4422

Has it been considered that a large section of society will now avoid going out, shopping, eating in restaurants etc, the main reason is because they no longer enjoy the experience, but also do not want to be monitored, asked for personal info,tracked and traced where they go....that is before all the signage, instructions on where to walk and what door to use,sanitizer, yellow markings etc....;)

HOLA4423

Poor numerical literacy linked to greater susceptibility to Covid-19 fake news

“My take is that both are relevant. And I was surprised to see numeracy playing such a strong role here … it was one of the single most important predictors,” he said. “I like that finding in a sense because it gives me hope that there’s a solution out there.”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/oct/14/poor-numerical-literacy-linked-to-greater-susceptibility-to-covid-19-fake-news

HOLA4424

Has it been considered that a large section of society will now avoid going out, shopping, eating in restaurants etc, the main reason is because they no longer enjoy the experience, but also do not want to be monitored, asked for personal info,tracked and traced where they go....that is before all the signage, instructions on where to walk and what door to use,sanitizer, yellow markings etc....;)

Yeah I'm actually going this route myself.  Apart from going to the supermarket once a week, I'm not prepared to put up with things as they currently are.  I'll just stockpile money instead, as should everyone else.

HOLA4425

Yup, sums up how I feel. I was going to have a coffee today but when confronted with the queue and all the new procedures I just said "forget it". Saved myself a couple of quid and sat on a park bench with the dog at my feet instead.