House Price Crash Forum

Coronavirus - potential Black Swan?

HOLA441

Apparently a law was passed on Sunday night. 

Any company or organisation accredited under this act can now commit any criminal act without fear of prosecution.

This is what I've been told in the pub tonight.  Anyone know where this has come from?

Covert Human Intelligence Sources Bill

Didn't know it had passed?

• Replies 58.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Arpeggio

• Peter Hun

• Confusion of VIs

• Bruce Banner

HOLA442

Yup.. I've beem posting this on twitter for the last 3 weeks his nickname is chippy tits.. 

He is a scared lockdown lover, cos he ate himself into the at risk catagory 

I propose a new law that all politicians should at least be able to pass the Army Basic Fitness Test to remain in office. 

https://apply.army.mod.uk/how-to-join/can-i-join/fitness/physical-entry-standards

2KM in 11 minutes is essentially a walk anyway. 

HOLA443

Apparently a law was passed on Sunday night. 

Any company or organisation accredited under this act can now commit any criminal act without fear of prosecution.

This is what I've been told in the pub tonight.  Anyone know where this has come from?

The purge 

Been on Netflix for a while now. Avoid the sequels 

HOLA444

Further commentary by Dave Cullen on the remarkable resonance between the COVID pandemic and the WEF Great Reset.

What do you think?

I find the resonance between COVID and the ideas of the WEF to be quite remarkable.

The ideas of the WEF, however, seem somewhat - erm - meandering. 

For example, the "Fourth Industrial Revolution" has been a focus for some time... but, it has meant various different things while it has been the focus.  At one point, it seemd to be about 'internet everything'; then - perhaps - it was about reducing regulation to ensure we get sentient self-driving cars; then - perhaps - it was about AI in general - then, earlier this year, it morphed into promoting greater risk-taking with respect to biotechnology.

I first heard about the WEF "Great Reset" when Prince Charles announced it.  I had a sense of deja-vous... "The Great Reset" was a book from Richard Florida from 2010.  I got hold of a copy - and I started reading... I'm yet to finish it... but I got a very different interpretation of the phrase to anything that would make sense as an interpretation of the WEF slogan.  I feel this is another example of a vaccuous phrase searching for a profound interpretation.

I understand that Boris forbid his MPs from attending Davos 2020 (the WEF annual get-together)... and heard that, despite this, Savid Javid (then the Chancellor of the Exchequer) did attend.  Shortly after the Davos event, we saw the so called "Valentines Day Massacre" when Johnson replaced an extraordinarily large proportion of the entire cabinet - and secured Javid's resignation on February 14th when he refused to accept constraints on his 'special advisors' (allegedly demanded by Cummings).

HOLA445

I understand that Boris forbid his MPs from attending Davos 2020 (the WEF annual get-together)... and heard that, despite this, Savid Javid (then the Chancellor of the Exchequer) did attend.  Shortly after the Davos event, we saw the so called "Valentines Day Massacre" when Johnson replaced an extraordinarily large proportion of the entire cabinet - and secured Javid's resignation on February 14th when he refused to accept constraints on his 'special advisors' (allegedly demanded by Cummings).

I read about that. Were the large proportion he sacked Davos goers?

HOLA446
HOLA447

Eh..? 

I don't think what you are saying right now has any basis in truth. 

I normally agree with lots of things you write, but I'm sure for at least 10 weeks this year, flu and Pneumonia deaths out stripped Covid. 

It seems dangerous (in the very least) to base a policy on combining statistics, from one disease, that the world literally stops turning for.. And a disease where most people dont normally change their whole way of life for. 

Unless you are a doctor.. Who gets paid anyway.. And doesn't really care about the suffering of people around them.. Cos he is OK. And its someone else's problem. 

My opinion.. Shameful point of view. 

The key word in the death stats is flu and pneumonia. Flu is not really circulating.  It tends to circulate later in the year. These deaths are from pneumonia.  

All they are doing is combining the weekly flu report, that they have done for years, with a weekly covid report. It makes sense given that both are (mainly) respiratory viruses. The statistics aren't being combined. You can read it yourself:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/925324/Weekly_Flu_and_COVID-19_report_W41_FINAL.pdf

HOLA448

How can you be a libertarian and make that statement? Can you not see the oxymoron? 

That would depend on the version of libertarianism you subscribe to. If you as a free agent is saying that "this is the only valid libertarianism" then its you who is an oxymoron if, at the same time, you claim to be a libertarian.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

Covert Human Intelligence Sources Bill

Didn't know it had passed?

Yes, but finalised tomorrow (15 October)

The following will be authorised to commit criminal acts, in the interests of the economic well being of the United Kingdom:

A1 Any police force. B1 The National Crime Agency. C1 The Serious Fraud Office. The intelligence services D1 Any of the intelligence services. The armed forces E1 Any of Her Majesty’s forces.

Revenue and Customs F1 Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs. Government departments G1 The Department of Health and Social Care. H1 The Home Office. I1 The Ministry of Justice.

Other bodies J1 The Competition and Markets Authority. K1 The Environment Agency. L1 The Financial Conduct Authority. M1 The Food Standards Agency. N1 The Gambling Commission.”

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Well as we know Liverpool gyms and swimming pools are deadly - unlike gyms in Glasgow and Belfast and Edinburgh and Derry which can all remain open for personal exercise despite the full lockdowns Arlene Foster and Nicola Sturgeon have introduced. In NI they stay open despite even schools closing - cos there is zero evidence of transmissions in gyms anywhere which are about as COVID secure as you can get with constant cleaning and required wipedowns of equipment after every use!

If I ran a Liverpool gym and my business was being ruined I would possibly want to know why? Perhaps its time we put the Cabinet, CMO, CSO and SAGE on 2/3 pay whenever there is an area under tier 3 lockdown. Let them feel the pain too - so we really know those closures are life and death?!

Still good to see there is so little crime in Liverpool that the police have nothing better to do than persecute perfectly safe taxpaying businesses - well safe in Scotland and NI anyway!

Edited by MARTINX9

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Greetings from Stockholm 

Is

There was an absolutely shocking doubling in the number of 'COVID related' deaths in Sweden yesterday.  Scary eh - a 100% increase!

Two people died compared to one the day before and zero the day before that.

Must be down to all that shocking lack of mask wearing and lockdowns across the country. 

Edited by MARTINX9

HOLA4416

Errr not according to lots and lots of people I know and a night I spent on Stockholm.. But OK, its good that we all can believe things that aren't true. 

I had a f-ing great night in Stockholm. Spent £1100  though, back in 2001. About 1500 in today's money

Not really good value for money and the locals suffered because of it.

HOLA4417

You wouldnt miss anything, it's normally the same link reposted every 3rd post 

Remind us again, Phil. How did it all go so wrong for China? :lol:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/10/14/chinas-recovery-shows-it-has-found-the-magic-recipe-standard-chartered-ceo.html

LONDON — China appears to have found the “magic recipe” with its response to the coronavirus pandemic, according to the CEO of British bank Standard Chartered, amid a surprise return to growth for the world’s second-largest economy.

The coronavirus crisis has thrust the global economy into a deep recession this year, with an upsurge of Covid-19 infections threatening to derail a fragile recovery.

China, meanwhile, where the outbreak of the virus first occurred, has seen its influential economy return to growth once again.

The International Monetary Fund on Tuesday said it expected the global economy to contract by 4.4% in 2020, a slightly less severe recession than it had predicted in June when it projected growth of -4.9%.

The change in outlook came as the IMF said downturns in several advanced economies had not been as severe as feared in the April-to-June period. China, however, was expected to be the only major economy to record economic growth in 2020.

The IMF forecast growth of 1.9% for China this year.

“Certainly, first and foremost, it is getting on top of the virus and getting people back into a more normal pattern of work, but the social safety net was also extraordinary,” Bill Winters, CEO of Standard Chartered, told CNBC’s Geoff Cutmore on Wednesday.

He said Beijing’s response had helped its economy record “very, very few” bankruptcies, with “very little” unemployment in the early stages of the health crisis, “and therefore not the same lag in terms of reengaging.”

“I think the combination of the policies that have been in place across the world, to the extent possible — which were extensive monetary easing and fiscal stimulus — together with a very strong safety net that kept people in their jobs, and obviously containment of the virus, that seems to have been the magic recipe,” Winters said.

“For a number of other countries in Asia that pursued a similar approach, in some cases a little bit later or maybe because the pandemic hit a little bit later, they are having similar recovery in terms of underlying economic activity. In other parts of the world, obviously, it is lagging.”

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
6 hours ago, Grayphil said:

Yup.. I've beem posting this on twitter for the last 3 weeks his nickname is chippy tits.. 

He is a scared lockdown lover, cos he ate himself into the at risk catagory 

Anderson seems to only eager to accept the government lockdown bribes so he can distribute the proceeds to property developer chums. At least there has been more backbone from the political leaders in Greater Manchester. 

HOLA4420

Superb takedown of Hancock's scientific ignorance, from one of the 35,000 doctors and scientists who've signed the Great Barrington Declaration

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8840965/PROF-ANGUS-DALGLEISH-Matt-Hancock-survived-axe.html#article-8840965

This week Matt Hancock condemned experts who dared question lockdown. Now, after two of them embarrassingly exposed his basic errors, Prof ANGUS DALGLEISH asks... How IS this petulant, shockingly ignorant minister still in a job?

HOLA4421
7 hours ago, kzb said:

You stated "companies" (undefined) would be able to carry out criminal acts. 

The bill you reference is with regards to goverment agency's (I.e not companies). 

Additionally given without context. 

Context being Mi5 almost lost (2 out of 5 judges dissented) in a case where they broke the law to maintain undercover in a terrorist investigation. 

Law is to put into law what has been going on for God knows how long being in certain circumstances goverment agents can break the law in undercover situations to maintain undercover for the greater good. 

Also note the opposition (typically firmly against this stuff) while not loving it belive it is necessary in some form and note "The bill makes clear that any activity carried out by agents must be compliant with the Human Rights Act and the European Convention on Human Rights – which explicitly outlaws torture, murder and sexual violence. https://www.google.com/amp/s/labourlist.org/2020/10/voting-down-the-chis-bill-would-weaken-national-security-and-human-rights/%3famp

So no your claim that." companies " are free to break the law is not" absolutely " true 

HOLA4422

Remind us again, Phil. How did it all go so wrong for China? :lol:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/10/14/chinas-recovery-shows-it-has-found-the-magic-recipe-standard-chartered-ceo.html

LONDON — China appears to have found the “magic recipe” with its response to the coronavirus pandemic, according to the CEO of British bank Standard Chartered, amid a surprise return to growth for the world’s second-largest economy.

The coronavirus crisis has thrust the global economy into a deep recession this year, with an upsurge of Covid-19 infections threatening to derail a fragile recovery.

China, meanwhile, where the outbreak of the virus first occurred, has seen its influential economy return to growth once again.

The International Monetary Fund on Tuesday said it expected the global economy to contract by 4.4% in 2020, a slightly less severe recession than it had predicted in June when it projected growth of -4.9%.

The change in outlook came as the IMF said downturns in several advanced economies had not been as severe as feared in the April-to-June period. China, however, was expected to be the only major economy to record economic growth in 2020.

The IMF forecast growth of 1.9% for China this year.

“Certainly, first and foremost, it is getting on top of the virus and getting people back into a more normal pattern of work, but the social safety net was also extraordinary,” Bill Winters, CEO of Standard Chartered, told CNBC’s Geoff Cutmore on Wednesday.

He said Beijing’s response had helped its economy record “very, very few” bankruptcies, with “very little” unemployment in the early stages of the health crisis, “and therefore not the same lag in terms of reengaging.”

“I think the combination of the policies that have been in place across the world, to the extent possible — which were extensive monetary easing and fiscal stimulus — together with a very strong safety net that kept people in their jobs, and obviously containment of the virus, that seems to have been the magic recipe,” Winters said.

“For a number of other countries in Asia that pursued a similar approach, in some cases a little bit later or maybe because the pandemic hit a little bit later, they are having similar recovery in terms of underlying economic activity. In other parts of the world, obviously, it is lagging.”

Great news China returns to normal after reaching herd immunity. 

HOLA4423

Superb takedown of Hancock's scientific ignorance, from one of the 35,000 doctors and scientists who've signed the Great Barrington Declaration

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8840965/PROF-ANGUS-DALGLEISH-Matt-Hancock-survived-axe.html#article-8840965

This week Matt Hancock condemned experts who dared question lockdown. Now, after two of them embarrassingly exposed his basic errors, Prof ANGUS DALGLEISH asks... How IS this petulant, shockingly ignorant minister still in a job?

Dalgleish is a UKIP former candidate. So no political axe to grind...

HOLA4424

A balanced article from the Guardian's economic editor makes some very valid points about how the absence of a clear UK strategy is causing damage to both health and the economy. 

Some here may not approve of Sweden's strategy but by sticking to it they are in a far better position than us. Again I think what New Zealand have done is crackers but they've stuck to it. 

Clarity amongst disorder is surely what you expect from a government in a crisis. 

Britain's Covid-19 strategy simply adds up to many more jobless people

Every country wants to fight the virus with minimal economic damage. Our attempts have created the worst of all worlds

Sweden shows the merits of a clear strategy and sticking to it. This is in marked contrast to the UK, where the government initially downplayed the threat, imposed some of the world’s toughest restrictions, eased up as the economic cost mounted, actively encouraged people to eat out to help the hospitality sector, and is now back to where it started. Here the mixed messaging has left people confused, and in the circumstances it is surprising compliance with the restrictions is as high as it is. 

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/oct/15/britains-covid-19-strategy-jobless-people-virus-economic#comments

HOLA4425