House Price Crash Forum

The penny has finally dropped at mumsnet

HOLA441
8 minutes ago, reddog said:

I think you have nailed it there.  This brings about an interesting but depressing vision of modern day Britain.

However you have forgotten that the HTB houses only come with one carparking space in order to "nudge" the owners into using public transport.

Unfortunately people transport is rubbish, so people can't be "nudged" and have to have 2 cars, and this is why half of Mumsnet is filled up discussing parking disputes with neighbors.

The govt have made these horrid out of town new build estates ASPIRATIONAL which is a fantastic bit if marketing. I'm happy they needed building and it adds much needed housing stock. But the prices paid for this stuff are amazing.

• Replies 507
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442
16 minutes ago, Si1 said:

The govt have made these horrid out of town new build estates ASPIRATIONAL which is a fantastic bit if marketing. I'm happy they needed building and it adds much needed housing stock. But the prices paid for this stuff are amazing.

Get yourself on the estates Facebook page 2 years after the sales start.

Neither me or my kids will buy a house built in 2000-2022 esp Permission.

HOLA443
6 hours ago, Huggy said:

You're damn right it isn't pleasant. An effective £9k payrise just for the train ticket, and almost 30 full days of free time while not commuting every year, means all those gagging for a piece of me going back full time will be sorely disappointed. That free time was a replacement for a really crap time too, so double my hourly rate as a benefit.

In fact, I'd need a payrise many times what the unions are blackmailing for in order for me to get back on those trains with a 'smile'. Someone who wants to work in the office can have my standing space, or even occasional seat, now. You're very welcome whoever you are.

With that £9k you can increase your mortgage and buy a bigger, better house.

HOLA444
9 hours ago, wighty said:

With that £9k you can increase your mortgage and buy a bigger, better house.

I don't like debt however it will eventually buy a bigger, better house once I sell the investments that the extra money went into, and we get our HPC.

HOLA445

If you are a landlord are you thinking of selling up? 

Didyousaysomethingdarling · Today 12:43

Are you reassessing your continued role as a landlord, due to the changes to tax (S24), proposals regarding EPCs, the recently published private rented sector white paper, along with interest rate rises and increased maintenance costs, etc?

Yes, I’ll wait until the end of the fixed term mortgage and for my tenants to give notice then sell up. It’s not worth it anymore IMO

https://www.mumsnet.com/talk/property/4577781-if-you-are-a-landlord-are-you-thinking-of-selling-up

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
6 hours ago, hurlerontheditch said:

What a heartwarming thread, looks likely that the number of properties coming to market is going to somewhat increase just as sentiment on value is starting to go negative. 

Think I'll treat myself to a glass of port after reading that.

HOLA4412
3 hours ago, Dogsy said:

😂

A01B8D5B-5593-4B9F-8D9A-6F9624B9DB6E.jpeg

I was so busy reading the Mumsnet thread and considering my reply that I did not fully appreciate the poetry & majesty of that particular Mumsnet comment.

It's a thing of beauty. 

And a sign of things to come too perhaps, a bellwether comment even.

A true HPC classic moment.

HOLA4413

I would happily sell all of mine but they are flats with cladding/fire safety issues so are not sellable at present. They are also not mortgageable and are all now on SVRs so my mortgage payments are going through the roof. I’m not increasing rents as it’s not the tenants faults, but with the increased service charges (doubled this year on most of them) I’m at the stage of subsiding some of the properties each month. And I get taxed on the mortgage payments. Joy.”

You’re fcuked. Declare bankruptcy now and you’ll get it over with sooner. How long until she starts getting repossessed?

HOLA4414
4 minutes ago, Odysseus said:

I would happily sell all of mine but they are flats with cladding/fire safety issues so are not sellable at present. They are also not mortgageable and are all now on SVRs so my mortgage payments are going through the roof. I’m not increasing rents as it’s not the tenants faults, but with the increased service charges (doubled this year on most of them) I’m at the stage of subsiding some of the properties each month. And I get taxed on the mortgage payments. Joy.”

You’re fcuked. Declare bankruptcy now and you’ll get it over with sooner. How long until she starts getting repossessed?

Good god! How many more amateur LL are there in similar situations? They all will be tenants themselves soon.

HOLA4415
2 hours ago, Odysseus said:

I know I'll get a lot of flack for saying this, but my schadenfraude is off the scale with the above mumsnet comment. 

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
13 hours ago, Odysseus said:

I dont think they get it.

The chances are they wont be repossessed and will spent a lifetime trying to cover losses.

HOLA4418

Sorry guys, I'm still unclear. Do you think now the right time to buy or even consider getting into some property investments? I like the idea of being a landlord.

Edited by Huggy

HOLA4419
2 hours ago, Huggy said:

Sorry guys, I'm still unclear. Do you think now the right time to buy or even consider getting into some property investments? I like the idea of being a landlord.

Why not become a pub landlord, you’ll lose less money….maybe

HOLA4420
2 hours ago, Huggy said:

US house prices up 22% in a year I've just read.

You cant lose, get in now.

HOLA4421

This is the bit that I don't think is properly priced in yet:

We'll be selling when the EPC changes come in: we own Victorian terraces that will cost around 10k per house to get to a C.

HOLA4422
Just now, Timm said:

This is the bit that I don't think is properly priced in yet:

I'm guessing that 10k will be priced in to the selling price. Even owner occupiers will take into account energy efficiency in the current situation.

HOLA4423

I "love" that mumsnet thread sooooooo much!

Both funny and heartwarming to hear of the struggles the stupid BTL scumsnutters are facing.

But also, importantly IMO it provides a great insight into the current mindset of the BTL crowd, lets not forget these are the over entitled smug mumsnutters who would normally be boasting about their BTL mad gainz but now sound very vunerable indeed.

As I say...all very heartwarming 💗

Here are my approximate takeaways from it:

• Many/most are so fed up that they are selling up as soon as possible (s21, EPC, overall government anti BTL policies, BTL hate, the sheer stress of it amongst other reasons). This is the key takeaway and very significant IMO.
  • Some/majority seem to have absolutely no clue what they are doing! CGT, EPC etc. (Victorian terrace lady is fked)
  • A few seem stuck as tenants won't move/s21.
  • Some are subsidising tenants and making a loss
  • They are fed up being seen as the bad guys
  • All delusionally think they are the good guys
  • Think the house will vanish if they sell
  • Some have tenants who won't move until the market has gone crashy crashy
Edited by highcontrast

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA4424
HOLA4425