House Price Crash Forum

The penny has finally dropped at mumsnet

HOLA441
5 hours ago, dougless said:

Back on topic, its really refreshing to see Mumsnet is becoming a little more radical.  If you ignore the privileged and pampered contingent who I suspect are a minority, there is a great deal of anger building up on Mumsnet.

I'm curious... in what way is it becoming more radical and angry? I rarely visit mumsnet, so I wouldn't know, but I'm curious about its existence and general nature because it appears so antithetical to my world view.  

• Replies 507
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442

Re: why she might have that car...

Agreed completely that given her situation, it may well be a Motability one. Some of them are an astonishingly good deal. When insurance, tax, maintenance, depreciation etc are all amortised,  my (14 year old) car has cost ooh... £160 p/m over the 8 years I've owned it. It’s a 2l petrol estate that cost 3K. I love it.....however it’s creaking now and to replace it today would cost £8k for a modern equivalent second hand, which will mean a marked increase in the depreciation component from the one I have now.

For an effective £250 p/m on motability, I could have an equivalent brand new car with *everything* other than fuel covered. If something goes wrong, they give you a new one. After three years, you get another new one.

If I could pay that less than a ton a month extra to have that, I’d do it in a heartbeat.

Edited by Frugal Git

HOLA443
4 hours ago, Orb said:

I'm curious... in what way is it becoming more radical and angry? I rarely visit mumsnet, so I wouldn't know, but I'm curious about its existence and general nature because it appears so antithetical to my world view.  

think what he is saying is that it has gone from an endless HPI orgy, to having a few more logical voices.
Mirrors half of society as a whole.

Problem with the HPC website is that in many many ways its well ahead of the curve, by 10 years or more. I can be frustrating to see the general populace extremely slowly come around to sensible thinking,  i think most people just expect everything to work out like their parents did, they don't realise that all doors to progress are locked and bolted, and covered in dust.

Most will just see a new build, drink the debt juice, and expect their first house to just work out, and that somehow HPI will mean they could upgrade, but after 5 years find they are locked out of the housing market, in a small shoddily built house surrounded by equally feckless chavs. Their dream becomes a personal hell where blood vessels burst at the parking situation and constant stress from the housing association house next door and the street next over. Some cant even make enough progress to get a few grand together for even a basic place to call their own.

Some cant pay their bills and also see it as their own personal failure (its not), and hide the constant stress, try and keep up with their peers who are doing the same. 

eventually the cognitive dissonance starts to turn some cogs in their head, and start to post the basics "why wont my house sell?" "why cant i pay my bills" 

eventually it will turn to plain anger, and whichever political party who gives in to that will win, maybe after the various events which will inevitably follow that anger, we will start to see everyone reaching sensible solutions. Or we will just see misdirected anger at suitable entities like immigrants, europe, the poor etc. 

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
8 hours ago, bear.getting.old said:

I'm afraid that if the Tories win they will dream up yet another HPI increasing scheme or more taxpayer underwriting of the housing market.

It rather depends on whether they have their hands full managing Brexit, which will not be over once we leave the EU. (I support it btw)

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
10 hours ago, bear.getting.old said:

I'm afraid that if the Tories win they will dream up yet another HPI increasing scheme or more taxpayer underwriting of the housing market.

Labour aren't going to rock the boat either, they may not conjure up more schemes but they'll maintain the existing status quo ?

HOLA4411
18 hours ago, jiltedjen said:

think what he is saying is that it has gone from an endless HPI orgy, to having a few more logical voices.
Mirrors half of society as a whole.

Problem with the HPC website is that in many many ways its well ahead of the curve, by 10 years or more. I can be frustrating to see the general populace extremely slowly come around to sensible thinking,  i think most people just expect everything to work out like their parents did, they don't realise that all doors to progress are locked and bolted, and covered in dust.

Most will just see a new build, drink the debt juice, and expect their first house to just work out, and that somehow HPI will mean they could upgrade, but after 5 years find they are locked out of the housing market, in a small shoddily built house surrounded by equally feckless chavs. Their dream becomes a personal hell where blood vessels burst at the parking situation and constant stress from the housing association house next door and the street next over. Some cant even make enough progress to get a few grand together for even a basic place to call their own.

Some cant pay their bills and also see it as their own personal failure (its not), and hide the constant stress, try and keep up with their peers who are doing the same. 

eventually the cognitive dissonance starts to turn some cogs in their head, and start to post the basics "why wont my house sell?" "why cant i pay my bills" 

eventually it will turn to plain anger, and whichever political party who gives in to that will win, maybe after the various events which will inevitably follow that anger, we will start to see everyone reaching sensible solutions. Or we will just see misdirected anger at suitable entities like immigrants, europe, the poor etc. 

?this

HOLA4412
On 05/11/2019 at 00:52, scottbeard said:

1. Despite the UK being a relatively rich country there are a large number of families who are so poor that they struggle to eat properly each week.  (Which by the way is something that it's important the population generally is made aware of, and that the government should address.)

2. Food bank use has increased and continues to increase.

It's very tempting to assume that 2 implies 1 is getting worse, but it doesn't necessarily. 

10 years ago I'd never heard about food banks.  Is that because there WERE no poor people in the UK 10 years ago?  Of course it wasn't.  But now that they are well publicised, a snowball effect happens - more people know about them, so more people donate to them, and use them, and more open etc etc.  Like any "new thing" early adoption is slow, and then all of a sudden it mushrooms until every town has one.

Even if the government put in place sweeping measures to tackle poverty I expect foodbank use to continue to increase, as people realise they can spend their increased benefits on other things and still get food bank food.  The poor would still be better off - it's just that food bank use and poverty aren't 100% correlated.

Essentially now they're a "thing" I expect food banks to continue to exist for the rest of my life, regardless of the actual level of poverty, just joining the ranks of all the other charities like age concern and cats protection league.  In theory we could "solve" hunger, old age loneliness and mistreating cats - but in practice we can't and so these things will exist forever.

Good post, sums up how I think about food banks perfectly. 

More on topic, I do think there has been a slow but steady shift in sentiment regards the UK housing crises. I say plural because the actual price of buying one is not the only crisis in "UK housing".

HOLA4413
On 06/11/2019 at 16:55, Frugal Git said:

Re: why she might have that car...

Agreed completely that given her situation, it may well be a Motability one. Some of them are an astonishingly good deal. When insurance, tax, maintenance, depreciation etc are all amortised,  my (14 year old) car has cost ooh... £160 p/m over the 8 years I've owned it. It’s a 2l petrol estate that cost 3K. I love it.....however it’s creaking now and to replace it today would cost £8k for a modern equivalent second hand, which will mean a marked increase in the depreciation component from the one I have now.

For an effective £250 p/m on motability, I could have an equivalent brand new car with *everything* other than fuel covered. If something goes wrong, they give you a new one. After three years, you get another new one.

If I could pay that less than a ton a month extra to have that, I’d do it in a heartbeat.

You could find a reasonable similar brand new car on PCP/Contract hire for sub-250 I'm sure. I can see the benefits of doing this, even though I own one car which is a 1990 vw golf. The benefit if my golf, apart from its road presence as a modern classic, is its cheapness to maintain, and for a 1.8 petrol engine built nearly 30 years ago will return good mpg, 30 urban and 45 to even 50 mpg on the highway if you absolutely do not touch the accelerator any more than absolutely necessary lol

Edit: Sorry, realised £250 was the all-inc, minus fuel price monthly. Okay, so you'd need to shoot at £200ish contract price but a decent trouble free, throwaway ride for £250 incl. insurance and tax if any. Many cars have low or zero tax nowadays.

Edited by fluteroop

• 2 years later...
HOLA4414

i had to double check the date of the post. Heads are truly in the sand.

Not sure if this is in the right section but anyhow, read a tweet from Martin Lewis and Cornwall insights that energy is due to go up another 51 bloody percent in October on top of what we've already had!!. Don't know how to paste a link for Twitter but here's one from the Red tops:

https://www.mumsnet.com/talk/credit_crunch/4573653-oh-no-energy-hikes-prediction-51-in-october

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
13 minutes ago, Nomadd said:

Her DH seems a bit like house prices - only ever goes up. :)

EDIT: Or maybe I meant to say "never goes down". :)

Woman talking about how many BJ`s she gave DH when they were WFH, looks like when house prices crash this lot will still have something to try and outdo each other on, LOL.  "We "paid" 900k" becomes "We w*ank each other off six times a day to keep warm" ?

Edited by dances with sheeple

HOLA4421
3 hours ago, dances with sheeple said:

Woman talking about how many BJ`s she gave DH when they were WFH, looks like when house prices crash this lot will still have something to try and outdo each other on, LOL.  "We "paid" 900k" becomes "We w*ank each other off six times a day to keep warm" ?

Now I know why some colleagues work performance has dropped off with WFH!!

HOLA4422
4 hours ago, winkie said:

It's getting to the point where I can't afford to work, but if I give up my career I'll never get back in.

Poignant words that.;)

Is it a really a career (c.f. a hobby or other dalliance) if it won't pay enough to survive?

HOLA4423
17 hours ago, winkie said:

It's getting to the point where I can't afford to work, but if I give up my career I'll never get back in.

Poignant words that.;)

"£2400 on nursery

£1300 on housing

£400 on a season ticket

£200 on council tax"

So they must have a 300k mortgage? Plus a huge commute. And nursery. Jeez.

(I've got images in my head of an out of town 'aspirational' HTB new build estate full of 'town houses' with poxy gardens and shiny cars on PCP parked everywhere 

Edited by Si1

HOLA4424
HOLA4425