House Price Crash Forum

Brexit What Happens Next Thread ---multiple merged threads.

HOLA441
49 minutes ago, slawek said:

I am not sure what is the upside of this gamble. Is it just a political gain by claiming "we free again" for a few weeks?

It is likely the this wave will create another variant, for which the vaccines won't work very well (they are already less effective against Delta).  There will be not enough time to vaccine people with updated vaccines before the autumn/winter wave.

The quote at end of article sums things up

So why surrender? Well, this British government — perhaps the most cynical one in modern history, among the most malign ever — has made a calculation. A fourfold one. It goes like this. a) Brits are now, on the whole, so apathetic and ignorant that b) they’ll think of being overrun by a deadly virus forever as c) freedom because d) they’re expendable, and they don’t know it, and they don’t care to know it.

HOLA442
47 minutes ago, slawek said:

I am not sure what is the upside of this gamble.

Like everything he does, he needs to be seen as the Churchill of his time. Forge ahead where others fear. It is all in line with the Tory party principles: power is everything, nothing else matters.

Hence, more on topic, I don't think they ever intended to honour the EU withdrawal agreement, I don't think they ever intended to honour the NIP, I don't think they ever intended to honour the fishings agreement.

They will continue to push and break those agreements and blame the EU, because this plays very well to the domestic audience who will keep them in power.

Same as their antics around asylum seekers, bills that would have made it illegal to help Jewish people escape the continent in the 1940s are now seen as ok. Plays well to their voters. Same as the current gamble with lives around the next wave. Etc.

I said years ago with the brexit vote, people opened Pandora's box by accepting that lies win. The politicians who most support brexit are either stupid, deluded, liars, unscrupulous or all of them. There will always be a price to pay for putting this sort of politician in charge.

We're in for years of this sort of sh1t. I reckon at least one more Conservative election victory then finally a massive backlash around 2028+. Hopefully.

HOLA443

This is the sort of thing I mean. Plays brilliantly to a certain audience. Many on here will love it. He is subtly saying we don't want asylum seekers coming here but phrasing it in such a way that he can claim he was targetting the "band of blighters" who bring the asylum seekers here. And uses some posh-non-funny alliteration of course, because in this sort of situation where hordes of brown people are invading our land, it's always good to put a bit of light hearted jesting in to keep the spirits up.

HOLA444
7 minutes ago, dugsbody said:

Hence, more on topic, I don't think they ever intended to honour the EU withdrawal agreement, I don't think they ever intended to honour the NIP, I don't think they ever intended to honour the fishings agreement.

Of course they don't intend to honour the withdrawal agreement!

Any more than they'll honour the promises they made about immigration. Or affordable housing. Or levelling up.

HOLA445
6 minutes ago, dugsbody said:

This is the sort of thing I mean. Plays brilliantly to a certain audience. Many on here will love it. He is subtly saying we don't want asylum seekers coming here but phrasing it in such a way that he can claim he was targetting the "band of blighters" who bring the asylum seekers here. And uses some posh-non-funny alliteration of course, because in this sort of situation where hordes of brown people are invading our land, it's always good to put a bit of light hearted jesting in to keep the spirits up.

P.G. Wodehouse. Play acting at being a late Victorian. Tories love that Empire nostalgia shit.

HOLA446
17 minutes ago, dugsbody said:

The funny things is he thinks the same way of poor British people. He is just trying to manipulate them by creating a illusionary bond for them to feel better drawing a division line we vs "others" (blighters). 

HOLA447
1 hour ago, yelims said:

The scary part is that being double vaccinated with AZ Brexit vaccine only gives you 60% protection against this variant 

this will mean deaths and worse than that it will have people lose faith in vaccinations, something that can be seen in Russia now who are also in a wave and where 2/3rds population is antivax 

I predicted another wave 2 months back in this thread, but didn’t realise it hit so quick 

I think 60% AZ protection against delta variant is overestimated.

HOLA448
HOLA449
16 hours ago, Lucky Larry said:

If the New World Order , One World Govt is a reality project then I would imagine the UK would be in it up to their necks .

The reasoning is to create 5 large political Unions (N. America /S. America/Africa/ Greater Europe and Asia Pacific) before merging all into one easy to manage package . Is Brexit really designed to give Britain freedom or is it the ultimate warning of what happens to those who think they can break away . Cameron , May and Johnson were all pro Euro before the Brexit vote and despite what Johnson now claims his history of lies means he cannot be trusted to tell the truth . The ultimate aim of the game is control and the way things are headed they will be buying up all the property , all the land from bankrupt farmers and install a pay as you go health system that produces massive profits. The constant bickering about EU membership has been a thorn in the side of the Globalists for decades , after all this is over and we are begging to go back to Brussels will anyone ever entertain the idea of leaving again (from any EU nation) . I have no idea if this is what is going on but am now at a stage where I have to question everything politicians and the media tell me.

Exactly. Good post Lucky.

The enemy is the coven of billionaire psychos running things behind the curtain. Addicted to building their piles and self-enrichment at any cost to normal people. Like the Koch brothers, Mercer, Dyson, Ratcliffe, Odey and other non-contributory parasites.

People farming and the uber-financialization of everything. Money as master, we are the slaves.

HOLA4410
21 hours ago, Staffsknot said:

That would be an illegal order. I can quote you the regs if you want but basically anyone following it is a numpty and goes to jail.

Problem 2 the other non-numpties are now duty bound to prevent civilian casualties by any and all mrans which invariably means possible blue on blue.

Problem no3 the hijackers nominate a person to get free passage to steer the boat. He / she is a refugee

Problem no4 firing from a helicopter or boat onto a moving boat packed with civilians is a recipe for accidentally killing or injuring others / cause panic and drownings / the bullet won't neatly stop in just what you want a 7.62 will probably drill anyone behind them too.

Problem no5 if the others aren't enough the firing on an unarmed refugee boat by state forces at sea would be in violation of maritime and international law and we would be sanctioned / possibly people going to The Hague if we don't jail

Problem no6 this isn't the fantasy world of a Bravo Two Zero wet dream and civilians are best not coming up with novel ways to shaft squaddies ta.

Apart from telling us how you'd execute a text book cluster****** of My Lai Massacre intent bravo.

These are the bits that don't come with a copy of Call Of Duty, its called military law and I needed to know about it to keep my soldiers from doing time if it goes pear-shaped.

But as the SBS are in your town go tell them, just not the ones in the pub with a tattoo of SBS and responding to 'action' txts as those are the Walters and they are probably window cleaners. The SBS lads won't be obvious and the real ones will tell you to get stuffed.

The SBS were called to a suspected hijack event. They used non-lethal force. Tells how much they like to kill unarmed civilians doesn't it.

If this sounds sarcastic and condescending that is the army for you.

Was a bit tongue in cheek might be more sensible for the home office to lease a couple of old prison ships/cruise ships to be used as assylum holding facility off the port of dover might put a few off.  

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

There was good news his weekon the Wirral with the announcement that Vauxhall's at Ellesmere Port, which is to build all electric cars and vans. There are 1,030 people working there compared to when the current Astra was first built when 2,000 were employed.  

Brexiters were suggesting this was a justification for Brexit they won't mention that the only threat to Vauxhall's was from leaving the EU. Prior to the vote and afterwards the owners had said  they would build the all electric Astra at Ellesmere Port provided there was access to the EU market with a free trade agreement. Without fractionless trade, they have done well to secure the deal.

Whilst Brexit is generally a disaster, this is one piece of good news this week.         

HOLA4413
2 hours ago, coypondboy said:

Was a bit tongue in cheek might be more sensible for the home office to lease a couple of old prison ships/cruise ships to be used as assylum holding facility off the port of dover might put a few off.  

The Home Office has just admitted that refuges have a legal right to break immigration rules. So no more calling them illegals or trying to prosecute them or arriving in a dingy.    

HOLA4414
17 hours ago, yelims said:

The pound has cratered and stayed there with no boost to exports 

Brexiteers predicted euro and Eu to fall apart yet its uk that is on brink with Brexiteers doing everything to push it over edge for reasons only known to them and their rouble paying employers

The pound is at the same value as it was in 2001, and I believe there has been an improvement in our balance of trade.

I certainly never predicted the Euro would've fallen apart by now, and I don't think anyone did.

HOLA4415
17 minutes ago, kzb said:

The pound is at the same value as it was in 2001, and I believe there has been an improvement in our balance of trade.

I certainly never predicted the Euro would've fallen apart by now, and I don't think anyone did.

You are deranged, mate :D

You complete fooking idiot.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
5 hours ago, coypondboy said:

Was a bit tongue in cheek might be more sensible for the home office to lease a couple of old prison ships/cruise ships to be used as assylum holding facility off the port of dover might put a few 

So that will be the lawsuit about inhuman conditions covered off too then.

That will also cost a fortune and if you want to get out of it just say cannot swim. Holding them on a boat longterm would blow any risk assessment and unless you want to hand them all a life jacket and assemble by an escape route ( which they can then all just use to escape) as a drill will be mandatory. That pesky maritime regs and all. Also if its a sea going vessel offshore it has a captain and he or she commands above any prison or home office staff.

There's a reason prison barges died out, because to run they'd cost much more

HOLA4418
2 hours ago, yelims said:

He is deranged

it takes the whole of 30 seconds to go to google finance and compare gbp to eur and usd going back to 2000

A5FBEE76-3B4F-432C-8263-BD3416E4AC6B.jpeg

I think there is something in the argument that people need an area of safety. Women tend to try and dictate in the home as the outside world is scarier for them. Equally, some men will pontificate and talk BS about sport and football as that is their safe space.

I wonder whether the men who think making stuff up is valid are the ones who feel insecure at home. Just speculation, I would not claim expertise, that would be stupid.

HOLA4419
32 minutes ago, Staffsknot said:

So that will be the lawsuit about inhuman conditions covered off too then.

That will also cost a fortune and if you want to get out of it just say cannot swim. Holding them on a boat longterm would blow any risk assessment and unless you want to hand them all a life jacket and assemble by an escape route ( which they can then all just use to escape) as a drill will be mandatory. That pesky maritime regs and all. Also if its a sea going vessel offshore it has a captain and he or she commands above any prison or home office staff.

There's a reason prison barges died out, because to run they'd cost much more

People seem to imagine that we just have to hold them until their case can be heard and they are sent back. The reality is that once they make it here and can have their case heard well over 80% of the dingy arrivals have their claims accepted in some form. This is higher than the average possibly because the dingy arrivals know they are going to be processed so the no hopers find another entry route more likely to let them slip in unnoticed. 

HOLA4420
24 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

I think there is something in the argument that people need an area of safety. Women tend to try and dictate in the home as the outside world is scarier for them. Equally, some men will pontificate and talk BS about sport and football as that is their safe space.

I wonder whether the men who think making stuff up is valid are the ones who feel insecure at home. Just speculation, I would not claim expertise, that would be stupid.

It is a standard tactic used by Leavers. They make up a claim and leave for other side to disprove it. After showing they are wrong they make up another one. It is a never ending stream of repeating false claims. 

It is silly do this for something that is very easy verifiable. 

HOLA4421
32 minutes ago, slawek said:

It is a standard tactic used by Leavers. They make up a claim and leave for other side to disprove it. After showing they are wrong they make up another one. It is a never ending stream of repeating false claims. 

It is silly do this for something that is very easy verifiable. 

Yes. I think it comes from Leavers because the Remainers who would do the same can point to real stuff. The question is why people like that will make things up in preferece to not bothering.

It does seem strange.

HOLA4422
1 hour ago, Confusion of VIs said:

People seem to imagine that we just have to hold them until their case can be heard and they are sent back. The reality is that once they make it here and can have their case heard well over 80% of the dingy arrivals have their claims accepted in some form. This is higher than the average possibly because the dingy arrivals know they are going to be processed so the no hopers find another entry route more likely to let them slip in unnoticed. 

There also needs to be a mechanism to send them back and given the cost of a flight, appeals process and the drawn out time in which they are legally prevented from working, so its taxpayer expense by that, its a bit daft to say we can't afford them. We probably spend more money than if you invested in English lessons and integrating them.

But people prefer to p!ss money away appearing to be tough when a refugee is actually someone you should help regardless.

The inevitable 'we should look after our own' is a moot point too as its not an and or choice. The fact we aren't isn't the refugees problem its the dickheads voted into gov saying there's no money while going on about reducing people's tax burden / business rate reductions.

More importantly the we need to help our own brigade are probably the first crossing the road from the homeless folks and pretending they're invisible.

Realise probably preaching to converted here.

Edited by Staffsknot

HOLA4423

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-57769712

The UK's economy grew more slowly than expected in May after a rebound in the hospitality sector was offset by disruptions to car production.

The economy expanded by 0.8% in May as coronavirus restrictions eased to allow pubs and restaurants to serve indoors.

While that was the fourth consecutive month of growth, it was also a slowdown from the 2% growth seen in April.

The economy is still 3.1% below pre-pandemic levels, the Office for National Statistics said.

"Of course, the pace of the recovery was always going to slow as the economy climbed back towards its pre-crisis level. But we hadn't expected it to slow so much so soon," said Paul Dales, an economist with Capital Economics.

HOLA4424

The latest Panorama show is a great watch to show how private sector is adapting to 6 mths of brexit.

Cheaper for a scottish fisherman to sell his catch to hong kong than spain so diversification to ASia and other markets seems to be the way or setting up a base in europe and re-testing the staff to get european hgv licences so their own employees can work in europe.  

Just imagine if the UK tourist had to re-take their driving test to have to drive on the continent would the EU dare to do this if Boris pees them off too much?

Edited by coypondboy

HOLA4425