House Price Crash Forum

Brexit What Happens Next Thread ---multiple merged threads.

HOLA441
On 01/05/2024 at 15:07, kzb said:

We're playing the EU at their own game.

If the costs are at all significant (and I have my doubts TBH) there will be an economic realignment between EU imports, RoW imports and home-grown produce.

Our own farmers welcome these checks, ostensibly for biosecurity reasons, but really it is because it gives them a slight economic advantage over EU producers.

Perhaps it will be advantageous not to carpet our prime agricultural land with solar panels now.

Less businesses will bother to send stuff over to the UK. Prices will go up, variety will go down. Provided we lower standards, sounds great for US firms:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/oct/03/us-wants-uk-to-open-up-its-agriculture-markets-as-part-of-new-trade-deal

Maybe rather than solar panels we end up with a kind of hpi-fication of farming: with a few large firms, possibly US firms owning all the land ? Not the inflation bit of hpi but rather a few massive "volume builders" doling out cr4p to the majority ?

https://plantbasednews.org/animals/shocking-rise-us-style-megafarms-uk/#:~:text=A mega-farm in the,“beef” cows it's 1%2C000.

HOLA442
1 hour ago, pig said:

Less businesses will bother to send stuff over to the UK. Prices will go up, variety will go down. Provided we lower standards, sounds great for US firms:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/oct/03/us-wants-uk-to-open-up-its-agriculture-markets-as-part-of-new-trade-deal

Maybe rather than solar panels we end up with a kind of hpi-fication of farming: with a few large firms, possibly US firms owning all the land ? Not the inflation bit of hpi but rather a few massive "volume builders" doling out cr4p to the majority ?

https://plantbasednews.org/animals/shocking-rise-us-style-megafarms-uk/#:~:text=A mega-farm in the,“beef” cows it's 1%2C000.

Well it can't be any worse than having a £100bn trade deficit with the EU, importing foods at an inflated price and not being allowed to import the same goods from elsewhere.

You've got tunnel vision, unable to see anything outside EU.  It didn't used to be like this so evidently it does not need to be.

HOLA443
31 minutes ago, kzb said:

Well it can't be any worse than having a £100bn trade deficit with the EU, importing foods at an inflated price and not being allowed to import the same goods from elsewhere.

You've got tunnel vision, unable to see anything outside EU.  It didn't used to be like this so evidently it does not need to be.

We have always been able to buy new Zealand and Australian Lamb, now we can buy even more.;)

HOLA444
49 minutes ago, winkie said:

We have always been able to buy new Zealand and Australian Lamb, now we can buy even more.;)

Since someone mentioned David Miliband the other week, I've been worrying about what he has to eat, being stationed in New York.

He has also taken his British wife with him and they had two adopted children.  So not only does David himself have to eat non-EU food, he has imposed it on his wife and children as well.

Unless of course they have EU-sourced food flown in privately?  He could easily afford to do so, on his salary.  Or perhaps the children were sent to private school here in the UK ?   Otherwise we have to worry about the quality of food he has to put up with, and what effect it is having on the health of his family.

The same concern applies to anyone who has to take a job in the US.  Nick Clegg springs to mind, he was in the same position.

HOLA445
8 minutes ago, kzb said:

Since someone mentioned David Miliband the other week, I've been worrying about what he has to eat, being stationed in New York.

He has also taken his British wife with him and they had two adopted children.  So not only does David himself have to eat non-EU food, he has imposed it on his wife and children as well.

Unless of course they have EU-sourced food flown in privately?  He could easily afford to do so, on his salary.  Or perhaps the children were sent to private school here in the UK ?   Otherwise we have to worry about the quality of food he has to put up with, and what effect it is having on the health of his family.

The same concern applies to anyone who has to take a job in the US.  Nick Clegg springs to mind, he was in the same position.

- Standards are lower in the USA for food. You can frankly tell this by the shape of people (not just being over-weight)

- Free trade while we maintain standards mean we are allowing people to import lower standards they will out compete the British industry to little more than a niche product.

- We will have lost our native industry and be eating poor quality food

David Milliband can eat at such niche places that will do high quality food. Your kids and grandkids will not.

HOLA446
30 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

- Standards are lower in the USA for food. You can frankly tell this by the shape of people (not just being over-weight)

- Free trade while we maintain standards mean we are allowing people to import lower standards they will out compete the British industry to little more than a niche product.

- We will have lost our native industry and be eating poor quality food

David Milliband can eat at such niche places that will do high quality food. Your kids and grandkids will not.

I don't fancy eating bleached chicken or hormone injected beef that have never seen a blade of grass.;)

HOLA447
19 hours ago, kzb said:

Well yes it turned out to be a lot worse hence Brexit is unpopular.

Be honest, while going back to the past is literally an age old fantasy, when it comes to Brexit and the EU nobody is more tunnel visioned than you are.

HOLA448
18 hours ago, winkie said:

I don't fancy eating bleached chicken or hormone injected beef that have never seen a blade of grass.;)

Given the number of food poisoning cases caused by chicken, perhaps a little bleach washing would help things ?

The Australians can supply beef either with or without hormones, according to your desires.  Some countries like it with hormones, because the meat is leaner.  Others don't, such as the EU, and Australians raise hormone free cattle for those people.

HOLA449
23 minutes ago, kzb said:

Given the number of food poisoning cases caused by chicken, perhaps a little bleach washing would help things ?

The Australians can supply beef either with or without hormones, according to your desires.  Some countries like it with hormones, because the meat is leaner.  Others don't, such as the EU, and Australians raise hormone free cattle for those people.

In Europe ATM the food is plentiful, cheap, fresh and healthy, fresh fish abundant......the people seem happier to boot....... perhaps you could give it a go and try it, you won't be disappointed.....dare you.;)

HOLA4410
1 hour ago, winkie said:

In Europe ATM the food is plentiful, cheap, fresh and healthy, fresh fish abundant......the people seem happier to boot....... perhaps you could give it a go and try it, you won't be disappointed.....dare you.;)

I have been to Europe, many times.  It's been great in many ways but I've never been impressed by their attitudes to food hygiene and animal cruelty.

I really wouldn't be accepting any lectures on food hygiene from the French, or animal welfare from the Spanish, for example.

HOLA4411
5 minutes ago, kzb said:

I have been to Europe, many times.  It's been great in many ways but I've never been impressed by their attitudes to food hygiene and animal cruelty.

I really wouldn't be accepting any lectures on food hygiene from the French, or animal welfare from the Spanish, for example.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/spain-scraps-30000-national-bullfighting-prize-blvnp3jkv

Times have changed since you last visited........you need to revisit, come back and report to me.;)

HOLA4412
1 hour ago, winkie said:

Food did go up over here in 2022 with the invasion of Ukraine and while food prices have dropped since, they are still slightly higher. Supply is fine though.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
1 hour ago, winkie said:

I remember as a kid on holiday it was like that too - before coming home to bangers and smash lol.

Just imagine, in a few years we could advance to eating wholly processed food rather than wholefoods ;)

HOLA4415
33 minutes ago, kzb said:

The trip before last, I got food poisoning in Spain.

Take it so bad would not risk it to go back......I got norovirus here in the UK.......you just got to be careful, if vulnerable do not eat shellfish......not a problem with me, some lovely fresh sardines cost very little, delicious and very good for you.......fresh lemons and avocados to die for, tomatoes and peppers, nothing that can buy in UK....early potato harvesting season atm;)

HOLA4416
1 hour ago, Bob8 said:

Food did go up over here in 2022 with the invasion of Ukraine and while food prices have dropped since, they are still slightly higher. Supply is fine though.

Food is very good, excellent quality, plenty supply, food prices have increased but still affordable because housing costs and energy costs less so more income can go towards buying food, eat seasonal and fresh food can be very little......Sunday is the day whole families of all ages go out to eat together, day of rest and day to spend quality time with nearest and dearest in local eatery, no mobile phones in sight!!!;)

HOLA4417
4 minutes ago, winkie said:

Food is very good, excellent quality, plenty supply, food prices have increased but still affordable because housing costs and energy costs less so more income can go towards buying food, eat seasonal and fresh food can be very little......Sunday is the day whole families of all ages go out to eat together, day of rest and day to spend quality time with nearest and dearest in local eatery, no mobile phones in sight!!!;)

I would agree about food and fuel.

Housing continues to go up I fear. And the Danish economyy might be overheating.

HOLA4418
50 minutes ago, winkie said:

Take it so bad would not risk it to go back......I got norovirus here in the UK.......you just got to be careful, if vulnerable do not eat shellfish......not a problem with me, some lovely fresh sardines cost very little, delicious and very good for you.......fresh lemons and avocados to die for, tomatoes and peppers, nothing that can buy in UK....early potato harvesting season atm;)

Yes but I live in UK nearly all the time.  It's decades since I last had food poisoning here.  I go to Spain for 14 days and get food poisoning.

It's a very common experience amongst holidaymakers also.

Often the food is kept at warm temperature instead of either cold or hot.  There does not seem to be any concept that keeping food at blood temperature is a bad idea.  They'd get closed down if they were here.

The French like to leave food stood around with flies buzzing all around it.  I've seen this on a few occasions.

HOLA4419
31 minutes ago, kzb said:

Yes but I live in UK nearly all the time.  It's decades since I last had food poisoning here.  I go to Spain for 14 days and get food poisoning.

It's a very common experience amongst holidaymakers also.

Often the food is kept at warm temperature instead of either cold or hot.  There does not seem to be any concept that keeping food at blood temperature is a bad idea.  They'd get closed down if they were here.

The French like to leave food stood around with flies buzzing all around it.  I've seen this on a few occasions.

You love spouting your own rubbish, making mischief, shame on you......stay locked in your own little bubble.....long time dead.;)

HOLA4420
52 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

I would agree about food and fuel.

Housing continues to go up I fear. And the Danish economyy might be overheating.

Housing is continuing to go up that is true, the key is to find pockets and there are many of them that have everything going for them but in a place few will have heard of...... excellent infrastructure and quality of life, good governance that have people's best interests at heart, quality health provision, a sense of safety and happy children.;)

HOLA4421

Germany partly to blame for Brexit, says CDU leader

Friedrich Merz tells FT that continental Europe left UK ‘empty-handed’ ahead of EU referendum

https://www.ft.com/content/0e60f43e-eaec-4427-b745-8eb63dff2abf

“I remember that David Cameron asked for changes to EU social policy and came back to London empty-handed,” Merz, who polls suggest has a good chance of becoming chancellor next year, told the Financial Times.

“The continental Europeans were not entirely blameless when it came to Brexit,” he added. “We lost patience with the special role that Britain always played in European politics. We didn’t do enough to help them come to a different referendum result.”

The UK and France have the only major armies willing n able to spill blood n money, something the EU needs now.

The French army is complicated, as the FL are the fighting bit. A lot fo FL are USSR/ex USSR - theres apparently a rouge group of Romanian FL floating around, causing problems.

The EU has also found out that there are 7.5m EUers living in the UK. EU countries -like the UK HO assumed 3m was correct.

At any point the UK can apply the new earning limits and remove access to benefits and public services.

Merz, a former BlackRock executive, also praised the UK’s controversial plan to deport asylum seekers to Rwanda, saying it was “something we could emulate”. “It is clearly going to deter people, especially young men making their way to Europe who have no real prospect of being granted asylum,” he said.

We're all Suellas now.

TLDR; UK had a point; EU fked up.

HOLA4422

It is a curious quirk of the German character that they cannot resist pressing home an advantage, even if it is not in their wider interests to do so.

HOLA4423
1 hour ago, spyguy said:

Germany partly to blame for Brexit, says CDU leader

Friedrich Merz tells FT that continental Europe left UK ‘empty-handed’ ahead of EU referendum

https://www.ft.com/content/0e60f43e-eaec-4427-b745-8eb63dff2abf

“I remember that David Cameron asked for changes to EU social policy and came back to London empty-handed,” Merz, who polls suggest has a good chance of becoming chancellor next year, told the Financial Times.

“The continental Europeans were not entirely blameless when it came to Brexit,” he added. “We lost patience with the special role that Britain always played in European politics. We didn’t do enough to help them come to a different referendum result.”

The UK and France have the only major armies willing n able to spill blood n money, something the EU needs now.

The French army is complicated, as the FL are the fighting bit. A lot fo FL are USSR/ex USSR - theres apparently a rouge group of Romanian FL floating around, causing problems.

The EU has also found out that there are 7.5m EUers living in the UK. EU countries -like the UK HO assumed 3m was correct.

At any point the UK can apply the new earning limits and remove access to benefits and public services.

Merz, a former BlackRock executive, also praised the UK’s controversial plan to deport asylum seekers to Rwanda, saying it was “something we could emulate”. “It is clearly going to deter people, especially young men making their way to Europe who have no real prospect of being granted asylum,” he said.

We're all Suellas now.

TLDR; UK had a point; EU fked up.

It was Cameron that fked up.

Merkel was actually concerned he hadn't asked for enough but Cameron assured her he  had and would win the referendum. 

HOLA4424
Posted (edited)
On 06/05/2024 at 15:02, kzb said:

, or animal welfare from the Spanish, for example.

Too right. Bull fighting may be in decline and almost nobody watches it.

But out in the villages, bulls & cows continue to be used for sick entertainment during the local fiesta.

Edited by yodigo

HOLA4425
23 hours ago, winkie said:

You love spouting your own rubbish, making mischief, shame on you......stay locked in your own little bubble.....long time dead.;)

He's not spouting rubbish.

The food is meant to be covered inside a glass cabinet, it's the law. However, I still see places where food is sat uncovered on top of the glass cabinet.