House Price Crash Forum

Brexit What Happens Next Thread ---multiple merged threads.

HOLA441
On 21/01/2021 at 17:09, thecrashingisles said:

If you believe in absolute constraints on what people should be allowed to vote for then you’re more of a Putinist than a democrat.

Ex-squeeze-me?  From whence did you imagine that bizarre question?

Of course, there are a lot of interesting and subtle questions about exactly what sort of voting is, and is not, deemed acceptable.  You mention Putin's Russia - but I am reminded more of Catalonia and their independence movement... which was opposed from Madrid (a policy which seemed, at least, implicitly backed by the EU). I understand that the activists who arranged the 2017 ballot were subsequently imprisoned by Spain.

I do not have any entrenched opinion about Catalonia.  In the 1990s, I met some activists who wanted independence for Catalonia... I don't think my politics aligned with theirs, at all, but I had to admit that there was something romantic about hankering for independence.

I am in favour of democracy as a principle - but I recognise that any implementation of it will be imperfect.  I think my preference is for politics to change through evolution - rather than revolution - but I accept that this might not be everyone's choice.

HOLA442
42 minutes ago, kzb said:

Are you seeing this IMHAL and Freki ???  I am right.  Just remember this moment.

Holy cow! You got something right, well done....long time coming.....remember this moment.

Anyhow thanks for saying that, not many on here can admit they were wrong.

Given that you are wrong most the time, I expect the above comment mostly applies to you.

HOLA443
41 minutes ago, A.steve said:

Ex-squeeze-me?  From whence did you imagine that bizarre question?

You said that you think the UK remaining outside the EU should be an "absolute constraint" on political discourse.

On 20/01/2021 at 20:14, A.steve said:

I would like to think that, now, with the one absolute constraint (that the UK should not be a member of the EU) that ways can be found to co-operate wherever common benefit can be found.  I don't expect that I will change my opinion about that - whatever transpires.

HOLA444
58 minutes ago, zugzwang said:

Unless they're given equivalence UK banksters will have to relocate or go out of business.

A lot them are saying being a rule taker is not worth it, they'd be better off without equivalence.

HOLA445
HOLA446
3 hours ago, NobodyInParticular said:

Eh? French GDP is very similar to that of the UK. Why is France not successful by your reckoning? And what counts as large? 

My French and German is rusty, but I can get by. I can more-or-less read a Dutch newspaper by pretending it's German. Latin... Not so useful after all. 

My wife understands spoken German but can't speak or read it. 

Plenty of my friends and family can speak additional languages due to parentage or living in Europe, from Norwegian to Polish. Even French. 

Have your tried getting a job in France, that will support you and your family there?

Theres a reason ~2m French are in the UK. And its not the weather.

HOLA447
4 hours ago, kzb said:

Recall we were discussing the EU Recovery Plan specifically i.e. not the long term budget.

If you scroll down a bit further on your site you found, which I think must be the same one that I linked to upthread, you will see listed all the exciting new taxes proposed to pay for the borrowing.

https://ec.europa.eu/info/strategy/recovery-plan-europe_en

There are several new taxes, one of which is the financial transaction tax.  The only reason I picked on that one specifically is because we were thinking that financial institutions would up sticks and move to Paris or whatever.  

Why are you so obsessed with the EU. 

We have had pretty much the worst economic impact from Covid in Europe and on top of that we have to pay for  Brexit - a far bigger bill than Covid.

the UK economy "will be significantly smaller over the longer term" as a result of the deal, despite being spared the ignominy of a no-deal exit

"The new Brexit trade deal reached by the United Kingdom and the European Union confirms the macroeconomic cost for the UK sovereign of losing its EU membership, while the economic benefits from new regulatory autonomy remain uncertain,"

Moody's added that some aspects of the deal are "skewed in favour of the EU" after the UK accepted "significant new barriers" to trade in some areas.

"As a result, the new arrangement between the UK and EU will entail significant negative macroeconomic consequences for the UK that are structural in nature,"  

Shouldn't this be of more concern.

Edited by Confusion of VIs

HOLA448
HOLA449
1 hour ago, kzb said:

A lot them are saying being a rule taker is not worth it, they'd be better off without equivalence.

Odd thing to say, without equivalence they either open an EU operation and accept all the rules or leave the field.

What's ironic is that being in the EU prevented the UK from being a rule taker, now instead of having an outsized say in setting the rules of the worlds largest trade block we will have to accept the reality of no longer being a global player and having to follow rules set by others.  

HOLA4410
38 minutes ago, spyguy said:

Have your tried getting a job in France, that will support you and your family there?

I was offered one there once. Very well paid. I very nearly took it. Three different groups of (English) friends live there, and all sufficiently paid to support families. One was mayor of his town there for a while.

Theres a reason ~2m French are in the UK. And its not the weather.

I suspect there are many reasons.

HOLA4411
7 minutes ago, Confusion of VIs said:

Odd thing to say, without equivalence they either open an EU operation and accept all the rules or leave the field.

What's ironic is that being in the EU prevented the UK from being a rule taker, now instead of having an outsized say in setting the rules of the worlds largest trade block we will have to accept the reality of no longer being a global player and having to follow rules set by others.  

MEPs voting to list the Channel Islands and BVI as tax havens is part of this. No British MEPs to vote against it and no incentive to keep the gloves on with regards to not voting to list them. Not the Channel Islands or BVI were in the EU. There are places in the EU that should be on the list, though.

HOLA4412
2 hours ago, debtlessmanc said:

I helped organise a conference in Christchurch, quite a long time ago now. two stories

Got talking to an English guy working at the university of canterbury. He told me he was looking for a permanent job and had worked up to then in Canada the US and Oz. I said i had postdoc'd in France, he replied "never been to the continent, whats it like?"

2nd at conference reception, i was angling after a sabbatical out there, spoke to a prof from christchurch. he said

"take my advice, dont got to france, they refuse to speak english to you"

i protested pointing out that they were a proud nation that treasured their heritage, his reply "whats the point, everyone is going to speak english and they might as well just get on in teach it in french schools as standard"!!

Think brits are bad!?

There is anther interesting anglo/continental story about the behaviour of a french prof at the conference, but i'll leave that.

Well, I was referencing a Spanish taxi driver lol

Languages are a fantastic thing to not only explore foreign cultures but actually to understand your own, when you travel, its a journey of the mind: you don't just gain new experiences, you transform your home. 

That said, I'm sure there are ways to live a fulfilling life on an island.

HOLA4413
33 minutes ago, Confusion of VIs said:

Why are you so obsessed with the EU. 

I'm no more obsessed with the EU than anyone else on here.  You have the second highest number of posts in this thread, I don't figure in the top four.  TBH I am sure there is a lot bigger things to be worried about than Brexit, as I have said before.

I am simply pointing out what is going on.  It's a valuable service because the BBC certainly does not tell us these things.  The BBC does tell us the same things you tell us.  So I am filling in a knowledge gap.

HOLA4414
20 minutes ago, Confusion of VIs said:

No it's the reverse.  You are only looking inward again.  Many are saying they will indeed be an even bigger global player without the dead hand of EU regulations.  I don't pretend to know much about this world myself but this is what many are saying, so there is an alternative view to yours.

HOLA4415
1 hour ago, Confusion of VIs said:

Well, the stories Ive been reading/hearing have been to do with business at the microeconomic scale and they sound terrible. What happened to the 'free' in Free Trade deal lol ? Many will fold or simply relocate to the continent. 

Edited by pig

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

20 minutes ago, kzb said:

I'm no more obsessed with the EU than anyone else on here.  You have the second highest number of posts in this thread, I don't figure in the top four.  TBH I am sure there is a lot bigger things to be worried about than Brexit, as I have said before.

I am simply pointing out what is going on.  It's a valuable service because the BBC certainly does not tell us these things.  The BBC does tell us the same things you tell us.  So I am filling in a knowledge gap.

I post far less now, Brexit is done and we won't be re-joining. 

Despite this, you like the Daily Express and Telegraph papers seem ever more consumed by Brexit.

The BBC reports factual information which is a useful service, your constant generation and dismantling of strawmen much less so.   

HOLA4418
2 minutes ago, Confusion of VIs said:

I post far less now, Brexit is done and we won't be re-joining. 

Despite this, you like the Daily Express and Telegraph papers seem ever more consumed by Brexit.

The BBC reports factual information which is a useful service, your constant generation and dismantling of strawmen much less so.   

Surprise surprise, the Telegraph is now 'blaming' Merkel for our sunny uplands...

HOLA4419
1 hour ago, dryrot said:

Thanks for this - nailed another Remainer twist...

Not quite!

Just had to dig a little deeper here. If you look at the figures for Italy -74%, France at about -25% and Germany +15%... UK > -100% that changes the picture considerably. We fair worse than all the comparable major EU economies......food for thought eh....☺

HOLA4420
14 minutes ago, Freki said:

The daily dose of: "Brexit, the gift that keeps on giving"

https://www.ft.com/content/39f553a0-00c5-48ad-a8ee-0b9fd75554b0

Hmmmm "Because Brexit" again, eh?  Bad Brexit, causing all the good people to do bad things 😂

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2020/dec/11/mastercard-class-action-gets-court-uk

That snow yesterday meant I needed to scrape my car for 3 minutes! Brexit, the gift that keeps on giving

HOLA4421
39 minutes ago, kzb said:

No it's the reverse.  You are only looking inward again.  Many are saying they will indeed be an even bigger global player without the dead hand of EU regulations.  I don't pretend to know much about this world myself but this is what many are saying, so there is an alternative view to yours.

Right twice in a day....you are on a roll.

Edited by IMHAL

HOLA4422

Mastercard to increase fees for UK purchases from EU

Not only that roaming fees will be increasing....... remember when £1 a min to make a call?

Lots of people will be capitalising from brexit in many ways.......only meaning all sorts of prices increasing, directly and indirectly......what we voted for.;)

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425
3 minutes ago, kzb said:

Whats wrong with the truth? Do you get your news from a Brexit version of QAnon?