House Price Crash Forum

The Bubbly Bitcoin Thread -- Merged Threads

HOLA441
6 hours ago, warpig said:

I think we're looking at a bounce around Monday next week.

image.thumb.png.53131ebf98833580f24ebb91dca9baee.png

A "bounce" comes if a few whales wake up and decide to buy. Unless you can read their mind then these charts mean nothing. This is a manipulated market moved by a small number of actors. 

Edited by henry the king

HOLA442
24 minutes ago, henry the king said:

A "bounce" comes if a few whales wake up and decide to buy. Unless you can read their mind then these charts mean nothing. This is a manipulated market moved by a small number of actors. 

Every market in the world is manipulated and investment banks pay people a lot of money to chart the markets, so your comments are obviously and persistently wrong!

HOLA443
1 minute ago, warpig said:

Every market in the world is manipulated and investment banks pay people a lot of money to chart the markets, so your comments are obviously and persistently wrong!

If financial engineers built the roads and bridges we'd still be walking everywhere.

WSJ_crisis.jpg

HOLA444
7 minutes ago, warpig said:

Other markets are regulated. Crypto isn't.

Simple and important difference. 

Other markets are manipulated but not to the same extent due to this regulation.

HOLA445
HOLA446
1 minute ago, henry the king said:

Other markets are regulated. Crypto isn't.

Simple and important difference. 

Other markets are manipulated but not to the same extent due to this regulation.

Why do you persist in telegraphing you don't understand things? You're talking utter nonsense.

HOLA447
HOLA448
20 hours ago, scottbeard said:

It was all over the BBC business news and even the Daily Mash when it skyrocketed in  2017, although I agree there's even more now

But it wasn't in the public's attention so much in 2018-19. This is the first bear market I have seen with so much attention from people who dislike it.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
7 hours ago, henry the king said:

Explain why it is nonsense. Explain why TA works well on unregulated and manipulated markets.

It's obvious it does... can't be arsed to explain why it's obvious, because it's bloody obvious. 

HOLA4411
3 hours ago, MonsieurCopperCrutch said:

I guess you have proof that it's manipulated? Oh thought not. 

I guess you have proof its not. Whats your point ?

Everyone knows its manipulated by a few whales, it happened in 2017 its happening again now, but a bigger bust this time.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
On 06/07/2022 at 18:40, MonsieurCopperCrutch said:

I guess you have proof that it's manipulated? Oh thought not. 

You don't even have proof of your own claims e.g. that I'm a cop.  Love to hear your explanation how you made that one up.

Edited by simon99

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
5 hours ago, simon99 said:

You don't even have proof of your own claims e.g. that I'm a cop.  Love to hear your explanation how you made that one up.

Jesus wept give it up. No one cares and it’s not relevant to the thread. But nice level of exceptionalism to equate yourself with proof that the crypto market is manipulated. 🤣🤡🤡🤡

HOLA4417
7 hours ago, MonsieurCopperCrutch said:

Jesus wept give it up. No one cares and it’s not relevant to the thread. But nice level of exceptionalism to equate yourself with proof that the crypto market is manipulated. 🤣🤡🤡🤡

Well I knew you wouldn't be able to. Not equating the two, just highlighting the hypocrisy that's all.

Edited by simon99

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

'Interconnectedness' and 'Margin Calls'

Leverage & Interconnectedness Are Blowing Up Crypto & DeFi

https://wolfstreet.com/2022/07/09/leverage-interconnectedness-are-blowing-up-crypto-defi/

What’s different this time about the collapse of cryptos, compared to last time in 2018, are two huge factors that were barely in their infancy back then: massive leverage and interconnectedness.

All these crypto firms lent to each other and borrowed from each other in cryptos, to speculate in cryptos with borrowed cryptos, and they lent out borrowed cryptos, and they posted cryptos as collateral with each other for more leverage, which is now triggering margin calls, forced selling, and wipeouts cascading through the space. This interconnectedness created huge systemic risks within the crypto space that are now coming home to roost...

Companies like Voyager are in the space called Decentralized Finance. DeFi is doing what the hated and despised fiat banks are doing, except they’re doing it in cryptos instead of fiat, and there is no deposit insurance, and there is no regulation, and everything goes, and there is no central bank for them, and no protections for depositors. In addition, they lured customers into depositing their cryptos there by promising to pay huge interest rates of up to 20% a year. Which is totally nuts.

And now the two concepts of leverage and interconnectedness are tearing up the cryptos, crypto exchanges, the DeFi outfits, crypto stocks, and crypto hedge funds.

The leverage is mostly hidden and tangled up with other crypto firms, and parts of it surfaces only when something blows up. And the interconnectedness causes the blow-ups to cascade through the crypto space.

So now this is an entirely different game of margin calls, forced selling, bankruptcies and liquidations, and preparations for potential future bankruptcies, the total annihilation of some cryptos, including TerraUSD and Luna, and leaving customers with deposits at crypto exchanges and crypto lending platforms twisting in the wind.

There is no regulation and no deposit insurance, and these customers are just unsecured creditors when these highly leveraged platforms collapse. And the loans that were over-collateralized when bitcoin was at $65,000, triggered margin calls as bitcoin plunged to $19,000, and the lenders can seize the collateral, namely the crypto. But since the lenders also traded in their own accounts, with their customers’ deposits, they too got wiped out when cryptos plunged, and it’s just the beginning.

DeFi platforms are like banks, but they take deposits and make loans all in crypto. They’re highly leveraged. They’re using their customers deposits to trade cryptos in their own accounts, and they lured customer deposits with the promise of huge interest rates. And customers borrowed against their cryptos, using their crypto deposits as collateral, to gamble with more cryptos. Everything was leveraged to the hilt and interconnected. And the whole thing collapsed when crypto prices began to collapse.

It has been three weeks exactly – on June 12th – that one of the largest crypto lenders, Celsius Network, which had managed about $12 billion in cryptos as of May, told users that it is halting all withdrawals, swaps, and transfers between accounts.

It blamed extreme market conditions. It said it needed “to stabilize liquidity and operations.” Customers have not gotten their cryptos out. No one knows what’s going on, except that it isn’t good and that Celsius has hired restructuring and bankruptcy lawyers in preparation for a possible bankruptcy filing.

If Celsius files for bankruptcy, its customers with crypto deposits are unsecured creditors, and they might not be able to recover their cryptos, and unlike bank customers in the despised and hated fiat banking system, there is no government deposit insurance. People are just on their own.

Celsius lured customers with annual percentage yields of over 18% on their crypto deposits. That this was either a scam or a super-high-risk gamble should have been clear to everyone. The only time a company is paying 18% interest on debt is if it’s near default. That’s a very high-risk debt, and bond buyers know this, but apparently, not the customers at Celsius.

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
On 06/07/2022 at 19:15, warpig said:

It's obvious it does... can't be arsed to explain why it's obvious, because it's bloody obvious. 

Yes it's obvious it's manipulated.......but it is not obvious how it's manipulated. Mervyn King admitted as such.....regarding gold.

As for btc,  I guess it's easy to buy if you have access to thin air credit......and then do a Hunt Brothers aka market cornering / manipulating. 

?

HOLA4422
1 hour ago, steve99 said:

Did they invest more than they were willing to lose? Someone in that link lost a 6 figure sum, their life savings, so I will go with a 'yes'.

Just to reiterate, never invest more than you're willing to lose in anything. You'll then be fine.

Edit. That goes for gambling too. Some of those crypto names sounded more gambly than investy TBH. Same principle ;)

Edited by Huggy

HOLA4423
On 24/05/2021 at 09:57, PeanutButter said:

Are you pleased that people were pressured by coinbois into buying bitcoin recently and are now struggling because their 'to the moon' (schm)asset that was advertised on the SIDE OF BUSES has plummeted? Do you for one moment stop and think, hey! maybe I should simply invest my money how I see fit - SHUT THE HECK UP ABOUT IT - and stop interfering and emotionally manipulating other people with 'missed the boat' rhetoric?

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2022/jul/12/they-couldnt-even-scream-any-more-they-were-just-sobbing-the-amateur-investors-ruined-by-the-crypto-crash

Koh got swept up in the social media frenzy. “You fall into this dream, this La-La land of thinking: I’m going to make it. It was like a whole trend, a pop culture. Now, sitting back, I think we got brainwashed.” Koh’s wife has a master’s degree in business administration and she urged him to be cautious. “She said: ‘Alex, it sounds like a Ponzi scheme … this is social media marketing to rope you in; take your liquidity and go.’” But he didn’t listen. “They call it ‘being an alpha’,” he says. “You have to be on Twitter, and follow the right people, and be in the right Discord channel. You listen to the right chatrooms. It makes you feel so special.”

At one point, says Koh, he convinced himself that terra/luna was such a great project that he “was ready to sell my house, my car, put everything in”. Now, he wouldn’t invest even £10 in cryptocurrencies. “It’s like a drug,” Koh says. “You’ve been there. You got high. And then you’re in rehab. I’m not going to go back in again.”

His greatest regret is that he encouraged others to invest in the terra/luna project. His YouTube channel, which has 17,600 subscribers, repeatedly championed the cryptocurrency. “I do feel responsible,” Koh says. “I don’t know what to do. How much I apologise. I haven’t got much hate, because I think I’ve been quite transparent in how much I’ve lost. I am not saying people forgive, though. I don’t forgive myself for it.”

HOLA4424

Sums the behaviour up in a nutshell:

“Admitting that you know nothing just tells you that you’re lucky,” says Roy. “And my ego couldn’t handle that. I didn’t want to be lucky. I wanted to be someone who knew what they were doing. I’m smart, right? Tell me I’m smart, please? That’s how it goes. The whole community reinforced themselves, and each other.”

HOLA4425
13 hours ago, PeanutButter said:

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2022/jul/12/they-couldnt-even-scream-any-more-they-were-just-sobbing-the-amateur-investors-ruined-by-the-crypto-crash

Koh got swept up in the social media frenzy. “You fall into this dream, this La-La land of thinking: I’m going to make it. It was like a whole trend, a pop culture. Now, sitting back, I think we got brainwashed.” Koh’s wife has a master’s degree in business administration and she urged him to be cautious. “She said: ‘Alex, it sounds like a Ponzi scheme … this is social media marketing to rope you in; take your liquidity and go.’” But he didn’t listen. “They call it ‘being an alpha’,” he says. “You have to be on Twitter, and follow the right people, and be in the right Discord channel. You listen to the right chatrooms. It makes you feel so special.”

At one point, says Koh, he convinced himself that terra/luna was such a great project that he “was ready to sell my house, my car, put everything in”. Now, he wouldn’t invest even £10 in cryptocurrencies. “It’s like a drug,” Koh says. “You’ve been there. You got high. And then you’re in rehab. I’m not going to go back in again.”

His greatest regret is that he encouraged others to invest in the terra/luna project. His YouTube channel, which has 17,600 subscribers, repeatedly championed the cryptocurrency. “I do feel responsible,” Koh says. “I don’t know what to do. How much I apologise. I haven’t got much hate, because I think I’ve been quite transparent in how much I’ve lost. I am not saying people forgive, though. I don’t forgive myself for it.”

Oh so desperate to be proven right. Well you won't be and there are so many rich pickings in this thread to be referenced before the next halvening. 🤣🤣🤣🤣