House Price Crash Forum

Scouting for Petrol........................

shlomo

HOLA441
3 minutes ago, FallingAwake said:

I'd call their bluff. "You're right, you can't afford it." Nationalise the refinery and barr Essar Energy from holding assets like this in the future.

Or at least, I'd write up the draft order proposing this during the meeting with them... :D

It'll be a mate of Rishi Sunak's. It won't happen.

Edited by jonb2

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442
54 minutes ago, FallingAwake said:

I'd call their bluff. "You're right, you can't afford it." Nationalise the refinery and barr Essar Energy from holding assets like this in the future.

Or at least, I'd write up the draft order proposing this during the meeting with them... :D

Could you imagine the panic next week if the UK’s second biggest oil refinery will go belly up?

HOLA443
58 minutes ago, jonb2 said:

It'll be a mate of Rishi Sunak's. It won't happen.

Get your facts correct it will be a mate of Rishi's Father-in-law

HOLA444
HOLA445
9 hours ago, kzb said:

But there are more, people are having to tour round for miles to find fuel.  Many of them have to go to work tomorrow.

On another topic, carers (those who care for old people in their own homes) have to use their car to travel between clients.  It's in all the adverts if you don't believe me.  No car, or no driving licence, no job.

They also have to buy their own fuel and claim the cost back on an annual basis.  So they have to carry that debt for up to a year before they get reimbursed.

Obviously the government will need to prioritise fuel for travelling carers/key workers, fannies who won`t use the bus or walk because they think they are too cool should get f*uck all. As someone said it is all orchestrated anyway.

Edited by dances with sheeple

HOLA446
7 hours ago, Dorkins said:

The official line that Shapps et al are pushing is that the shortages at the pump are due to panic buying caused by the Road Hauliers Association falsely briefing journalists that there were shortages. So basically they are trying to pin the blame on the RHA.

Yes - except this makes little sense.  The hauliers association know exactly how to create a fuel crisis - they've demonstrated they can do it.  However.... this time, I can't see any reason that those who haul stuff would want a fuel crisis... so... I don't think they did chose to create one - and, we know, they do know how to engage with the media.  I'd also expect hauliers to have been willing to go out of their way to ensure that their businesses continue to run... if there were a genuine problem with hauling diesel to retail outlets.  The only explanation I can think of is that they have been prevented from providing extra services to keep up with demand by some mechanism.

HOLA447
27 minutes ago, dances with sheeple said:

Obviously the government will need to prioritise fuel for travelling carers/key workers, fannies who won`t use the bus or walk because they think they are too cool should get f*uck all. As someone said it is all orchestrated anyway.

If wholesale fuel deliveries are not happening - then... I don't expect buses to be able to run, either.  I suppose that's a good thing - at least, that way, no-one will catch a fictitious virus while being herded around cities like abused livestock.

I'm waiting for someone to suggest we go out every Thursday and clap the tanker drivers, oil refinery workers and ancient deceased organisms.  That's bound to help.  Anyone who doesn't join in must be a nasty selfish person?

HOLA448
HOLA449
1 hour ago, dances with sheeple said:

I couldn't believe how the BBC ramped this crisis.  Millions of Covid deniers marching in London =no coverage.  A few people wondering if there would be a fuel shortage,  = #1 story.

HOLA4410
3 minutes ago, kzb said:

I couldn't believe how the BBC ramped this crisis.  Millions of Covid deniers marching in London =no coverage.  A few people wondering if there would be a fuel shortage,  = #1 story.

Well, couldn't that be the point? Hiding the fact that millions of people aren't buying the Official Orthodoxy?

For the BBC, the easiest way of dealing with things like that is to ignore it. Like in the movie "Brazil" where the people eating in the restaurant are shielded from the chaos around them. Notice the board put up at 1:50 :D ...

Think of the people at the table as "freedom pass" holders 🤣

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
10 hours ago, rollover said:

Could you imagine the panic next week if the UK’s second biggest oil refinery will go belly up?

Why are they being so heavy handed with a service provider that could cause a genuine national emergency when the likes of Amazon and Google get away with less than a slap on the wrist??

HOLA4414

Surely having a contingency plan for problems arising is the government of the time responsibility......small government, low taxes and low regulation......leaving it to the free market to do what is right is ridiculous, they will not invest in infastructure to see safe and clean places for truckers to stay with good healthy food available.....they will not increase wages or invest in training truckers if it hits their bottom line......so many different firms, companies, utilities will hold the government to ransom, pay them the money, bail them out, pay them extra to action/do/make things happen to make things how they should be......try getting a driving test, not easy.... can't get a test can drive....... everything seems to be on the tipping point, doesn't take much these days for it to tip over....the net has plenty of holes in it.....;)

HOLA4415

UK suspends competition law to get petrol to forecourts

The government is to suspend competition law to allow oil firms to target fuel deliveries at petrol stations following recent panic buying. Officials said the move would make it easier for companies to share information and prioritise parts of the country most at need.

Ministers are also considering deploying the Army to deliver fuel. The option is under discussion, and could be examined at a possible cabinet meeting on Monday.

BBC

HOLA4416
23 minutes ago, rollover said:

The government is to suspend competition law to allow oil firms to target fuel deliveries at petrol stations following recent panic buying. Officials said the move would make it easier for companies to share information and prioritise parts of the country most at need.

Ministers are also considering deploying the Army to deliver fuel. The option is under discussion, and could be examined at a possible cabinet meeting on Monday.

BBC

So is there a crisis or not? Until now I've tried to be rational and take the 'shortage due to stupid panic buying' approach, but this sounds like they know different.

HOLA4417
11 hours ago, rollover said:

:D 

Real question for @Orb - how much does it cost to get an HGV license these days? I've a mate who got one to drive an imported bus, but his wife said it was too expensive for her to get one as well (she might just be using that as an excuse).

IMO if it costs a bundle to get a license it makes sense for UK gov to subsidise while we address supply issues. But then, I'm not sitting in a cushy office in parliament.

HOLA4418
8 hours ago, kzb said:

No coverage at all:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-57623110

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-57560664

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56469687

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56466291

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
57 minutes ago, rollover said:

BBC

Interesting quote from that article, I guess Northern Irish are just a less panicky bunch:

Northern Ireland was currently unaffected

HOLA4422
11 hours ago, satsuma said:

Hilarious, hard to believe billionaire families could get organized to take over governments voted in by muppets 

You mean like Gupta 

HOLA4423

My local petrol station now has supplies I will fill up on the weekend, the madness should have died down by, the queues are so long 

HOLA4424
9 hours ago, kzb said:

Why you were gloating here about Brexit dividend when it came to vaccinations (which proved to be illusory)

yet get upset when Brexit so clearly has created a pile of fail

No shortages here in EUSSR oh and minimum wage about to rise and rents capped to inflation 

HOLA4425
53 minutes ago, Dorkins said:

Interesting quote from that article, I guess Northern Irish are just a less panicky bunch:

NI is protected from Brexit somewhat by NIP which Brexiteers want to dismantle as they want to level everyone (except elites who are laughing all way to bank) down to same misery level 

Edited by yelims