HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
7 minutes ago, Dorkins said:

a.k.a. helicopter money for landlords to receive their rent

They are already getting that with the proposed mortgage holidays. And in the thread discussing that a couple of days ago there seemed to be a sizable minority who thought that it was absolutely OK that landlords were getting 3 months mortgage free, but still charging rent for that period. or giving their own 'payment holiday' to the tenant but with an agreed repayment plan for when things are back to 'normal'. 

HOLA448
15 minutes ago, regprentice said:

They are already getting that with the proposed mortgage holidays. And in the thread discussing that a couple of days ago there seemed to be a sizable minority who thought that it was absolutely OK that landlords were getting 3 months mortgage free, but still charging rent for that period. or giving their own 'payment holiday' to the tenant but with an agreed repayment plan for when things are back to 'normal'. 

I thought the proposed mortgage holidays would only be for homeowners, not BTLers. Hard to get the detail when it's just announcements.

HOLA449
21 minutes ago, regprentice said:

They aren't getting anything free, as far I have seen the loan money is still owed and accruing interest. 

HOLA4410
1 hour ago, Confusion of VIs said:

They aren't getting anything free, as far I have seen the loan money is still owed and accruing interest. 

Yes. But they don't pay anything for the three months that they will continue to receive rent. And any three month extension of their mortgage would presumably also be offset by renting. 

The landlord doesn't have to take the mortgage holiday. But if they do then I feel they have a moral obligation to pass that on to their tenant. 

All the govt activity is about cash flows, not giving money away for free, there's nothing I've seen that won't be clawed back eventually. I believe that's why they've been reluctant to do small simple things like remove the earnings threshold on sick pay... Because, politically, they will never be able to undo that change in the future 

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Johnson says government will legislate to protect renters from eviction during coronavirus crisis

Corbyn says “whatever it takes” should mean tackling injustice.

He says a quarter of care staff are on zero-hours contracts, and not entitled to sick pay.

He says Rishi Sunak offered nothing to the 20 million people in rented homes in his announcement yesterday. They are “worried sick”, he says. Will the PM confirm that the emergency legislation will protect private renters from eviction?

Johnson says Corbyn is making “very powerful points”. He says he will be legislating to protect private renters from eviction. But he does not just want to pass on the problem, so other “actors in the economy” will be protected.

HOLA4415
1 hour ago, regprentice said:

Yes. But they don't pay anything for the three months that they will continue to receive rent. And any three month extension of their mortgage would presumably also be offset by renting. 

The landlord doesn't have to take the mortgage holiday. But if they do then I feel they have a moral obligation to pass that on to their tenant. 

All the govt activity is about cash flows, not giving money away for free, there's nothing I've seen that won't be clawed back eventually. I believe that's why they've been reluctant to do small simple things like remove the earnings threshold on sick pay... Because, politically, they will never be able to undo that change in the future 

Not sure job of the logic in that. The renter may have lost their job or may be sitting at home on full pay saving a packet on travel and entertainment. Likewise so could the landlord. 

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
50 minutes ago, Trump Invective said:

Johnson says government will legislate to protect renters from eviction during coronavirus crisis

Corbyn says “whatever it takes” should mean tackling injustice.

He says a quarter of care staff are on zero-hours contracts, and not entitled to sick pay.

He says Rishi Sunak offered nothing to the 20 million people in rented homes in his announcement yesterday. They are “worried sick”, he says. Will the PM confirm that the emergency legislation will protect private renters from eviction?

Johnson says Corbyn is making “very powerful points”. He says he will be legislating to protect private renters from eviction. But he does not just want to pass on the problem, so other “actors in the economy” will be protected.

Sounds like free money for everyone.

HOLA4418
3 minutes ago, Ghostly said:

Yep, they could try to deliver some truly balanced reporting, not stoke fears, understand the broader situation, etc. Not difficult.

Define balanced, at present both ends of politics claim they are biased against them, that sounds about as balanced as you can reasonably expect to get.

Truth is we should have done more and earlier. We ignored the lessons being learnt from China and Italy preferring instead to go down the same path. Even today, we seem reluctant to take measures that are being proven to work. 

This is not a Black Swan event, the governments even had a pandemic planning session/report in 2018 but then ignored all of its recommendations. People do need to be held to account. Link below shows where you can get to if you respond properly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urPjrPBKZy4

HOLA4419

The way out of this is to cut taxation and regulation.

Therefore, anything which increases taxation or regulation is causing material harm.

UBI: increased taxation; harm

Forcing banks to accept payment holidays: increased regulation; harm

The State paying rents: increased taxation and regulation; lots of harm

HOLA4420
6 hours ago, Trump Invective said:

Johnson, asked about it at PMQs, gave a typically vague and cryptic response. He referred to the protection of "other actors" when considering helping the private rental sector.

I think we know who those other actors are!

Monsieur Hulot and and Fatty Arbuckle.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
6 hours ago, Ghostly said:

Yep, they could try to deliver some truly balanced reporting, not stoke fears, understand the broader situation, etc. Not difficult.

Are the BBC campaigning for a delay or suspension for the telly tax yet in the national interest??

HOLA4423

Yawn

3 hours ago, nightowl said:

Are the BBC campaigning for a delay or suspension for the telly tax yet in the national interest??

Yawn yet more false equivalence and BBC bashing.  By the same argument Sky sports and BT sports should be campaigning for a delay or suspension in their package.

Back to the topic, I'm seeing growing resentment at the entitled arguments from LL (it's my pension innit).  If there is immunity from eviction, will there be a campaign of 'rental disobedience'?  If you're a clever LL, you would negotiate a rental cut (1/3 off but keep paying) just to avoid the pain

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Renters actually need far more helps - mortgage payments will be falling thanks to close to negative interest rates.

They tend to be younger, poorer, more likely to have families, have lower paid jobs, have no savings, live paycheck to paycheck,

Simple law - any landlord that evicts a tenant in the next 3 months who cannot pay their rent due to COVID-19 gets a year in jail and has all their properties - including their primary home - repossessed by the council to house local homeless families without compensation.