House Price Crash Forum

Tesco Food Prices are Officially Insane

HOLA441
2 hours ago, 2buyornot2buy said:

Was away a night in a hotel a few week's ago. Small town. Nice hotel. £7.00 for a pint of Guinness. 

Average price for a pint in Belfast is probably around £6.00+

Can get a pint of Guinness for €4.50. Not all inflation everywhere is as high as ours.

Can't blame that on the war or a virus or boat people.;)

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
7 hours ago, dances with sheeple said:

That`s right, Alpro soya milk (don`t know anything about their corporate structure but they advertise a lot on TV) 2.50 in Sainsburys, own brand soya milk 1.15, Alpro is better but I only buy it now on the 2 for £2 deals when they crop up, something will have to give at some point, but if it scares total morons off out bidding other morons for shoe-boxes then I am pretty happy overall.

Trouble getting own brand. Always used Tesco Organic Soya but they haven't had any for ages . Weeks ago Sainsburys had a label where their own brand organic soya should be and it said no stock until May! 
I use Trolley.UK to track who has Alpro on offer @ £1.50 just done Tesco/ then Morrisons/ then Sainsburys then Waitrose but agree EVERYTHING is going nuts. We have never had a lot of money but when my kids were growing up back in the 70s we had very little income but could afford to  make our own muesli/yoghurt with apricots/ eat loads of almonds, cashews/ sunflower/pumpkin seeds etc etc AND  buy from an organic veg van that came to the door NONE of which we could afford to do any more. Every week we say well that's the last time we will be buying that... 

I was reading an article at the weekend that said that it is government policy to make us all so poor and food so expensive that everyone will have to eat a lot less so that the UK can become self sufficient in food !! 

HOLA443
1 hour ago, Dweller said:

I was reading an article at the weekend that said that it is government policy to make us all so poor and food so expensive that everyone will have to eat a lot less so that the UK can become self sufficient in food !! 

That sounds like WW2.

HOLA444
HOLA445
14 hours ago, Big Orange said:

Which is why I now uniformly purchase Tesco and Lidl home brands (and never looked back). The supermarket brands are now clearing the shelves faster!

I noticed yesterday heinz sauce £4, tesco own brand £1.50 or something. I usually get supermarket own brand anyway, but was astonished at the difference yesterday. I read that supermarket profit margin is approx 4%. £40k profit on £1m turnover is peanuts.

HOLA446
15 hours ago, winkie said:

Can make yoghurt really easily and very cheaply, only need to buy one small pot for the culture.....look it up.;)

I have a yoghurt maker and do my own, it works out much cheaper... I have done the oat milk trick in the past, but we have a clearance shop in France where lots of European products are sold on discount... They have a lot of barista milk from the UK, still in date, for the equivalent of 60 pence (I stocked up big time). Also picked up many bargains like Waitrose pumpkin pizza for under a £1, and we have Heinz ketchup, although only the small sized ones, for about 50p.

Interestingly in the main supermarkets, there is an aisle dedicated to biscuits, and the cheapest by a reasonable margin (going by the price per kilo), are McViities digestives. 

HOLA447
13 hours ago, wighty said:

Still good value at Tesco

£3.40 lunch deal, £12 meal deal

The lunch deal was £2.50 only a year ago, I think. 

The Clubcard seems nothing short of a scam now, the way they hike the price up on some items so they can offer a "clubcard price" for what should really be the normal selling price anyway for most of the time. They've cut the value of what you can exchange the clubcard vouchers for too. 

HOLA448
HOLA449
1 hour ago, TBC said:

I noticed yesterday heinz sauce £4, tesco own brand £1.50 or something. I usually get supermarket own brand anyway, but was astonished at the difference yesterday. I read that supermarket profit margin is approx 4%. £40k profit on £1m turnover is peanuts.

Yeah but if your sales are about £55billion like Tesco, every little 4% helps

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

It seems to me that all this processed shite you guys are eating is going way up. The things I eat have only gone up a little.

20% beef mince was £2/500g for a long time, went DOWN to £1.89 during the food inflation headline theatre and has now just gone to £2.50.

Dairy milk was 83p/100g, is now 90p/100g in button form or around £1.10 in bar form

Lemons still around 35p each as always

Milk has gone up quite a lot, but I don't recall the former price.

Kerrygold butter still at £2.40 as always. Other butters up a fair chunk.

Yeo Valley yoghurts gone from £1.50 regular price (only bought when the offer was 2 for £2, which it regularly was) to £2.50 regular price with £1.50 being the offer price.

Cheeses up around 25%

Karg crackers went £2 -> £2.15 -> £2.50

So around 25% across the board, not doubling or tripling.

12 hours ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

Install the app, it's half the price if you buy the offers.

Just avoid eating fast food. Like fags and special brew, it's just for poor people.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
10 minutes ago, Locke said:

It seems to me that all this processed shite you guys are eating is going way up. The things I eat have only gone up a little.

20% beef mince was £2/500g for a long time, went DOWN to £1.89 during the food inflation headline theatre and has now just gone to £2.50.

Dairy milk was 83p/100g, is now 90p/100g in button form or around £1.10 in bar form

Yeo Valley yoghurts gone from £1.50 regular price (only bought when the offer was 2 for £2, which it regularly was) to £2.50 regular price with £1.50 being the offer price.

Cheeses up around 25%

Just avoid eating fast food. Like fags and special brew, it's just for poor people.

Hovis Brown bread is up from £1 to £1.45.

Milk 4 pints £1 to £1.65.

Id say 50% over the last 12/16 months is closer to the mark

All down to Putin and nothing to do with printing money.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
12 minutes ago, clarkey said:

These prices are just so they can claim 50% off next week . They are just playing mind games 

Increase the price to reduce it, 50% off of what!

.......hope some of the  profits are being passed onto the farmers, and food producers.......and the pay is going up for farm workers and factory workers.;)

HOLA4418
4 hours ago, TBC said:

I picked up Heinz at Aldi by mistake the other week. Didn't realise until squirting it on to my plate. 

I'm still mad about it now. £4 for ketchup! 

HOLA4419
1 hour ago, Locke said:

The propaganda around that is so intense that I actually can't tell if you're being serious.

Nah only messing, its down to Boris, Sunak, the BoE, the Tory party .. though Labour were shouting for more money to be printed and dished out, obviously knowing full well the damage it would cause, thus enabling them to get in power to get their own filthy mittens on the loot.

HOLA4420
19 hours ago, Sackboii said:

I was on the road later last night and was peckish, fancied a KFC. Only my second takeaway since last Summer.

My previous takeaway as a Burger King meal - £8.49 I think it was! Burger noticeably smaller than they used to be. Perhaps only 10mm less in diameter, which doesn't sound a lot, but work outhow much smaller that is in area and keeping the same proportions in volume! Fries noticeably smaller. Drink smaller too. So not only was it good £2+ more than it was previously, but it was smaller by a significant margin.

Last night's KFC was a 'mighty bucket for one' meal. Again, tiny by comparison. Really small fries. Tiny peices of chicken! Drink was 40% ice... £8.99!! WT actual F ??!! I was actually still hungry after it!

Never again on both counts.

Unbelievable.

Shut up, it's healthier for you! Now say "thank you"....

p.s. Tell 'em no ice in the drink. If you ever go back of course!

Edited by AThirdWay

HOLA4421
2 hours ago, Locke said:

Cheeses up around 25%

Dairy milk is a processed food.

Kerrygold is a processed food

Yeo valley yogurts are a processed food.

Cheese is a processed food.

Karg crackers are a processed food.

HOLA4422
14 hours ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

Sounds like you may be a handful of years older than me. I recall the sub £1 pint, but it hit £1 whilst i was a student, think it would have been in 1993 when the College Bar put up prices, so likely pubs a year or so earlier.

I remember being miffed at paying over a pound a pint in pubs when I moved to SE England during my Uni work experience year.  I'd been paying about 80p or so at the Student Union admittedly.

I also remember vividly the first time that three pints cost me more than a fiver .. handing over the note expecting 5 or 10p back and being asked for another 10p.

Or when paying up to 20 quid for a round for 8 or 9 people seemed like a lot of money ....  Now you can pay that for a round of three beers.

HOLA4423
3 hours ago, Glenn said:

The lunch deal was £2.50 only a year ago, I think. 

The Clubcard seems nothing short of a scam now, the way they hike the price up on some items so they can offer a "clubcard price" for what should really be the normal selling price anyway for most of the time. They've cut the value of what you can exchange the clubcard vouchers for too. 

Yeah, they only offer any sort of 'discount' if you use their clubcard and even then, the discount is typically no lower, if not higher, than the normal price was maybe a year ago.

HOLA4424
22 hours ago, Pmax2020 said:

Tesco's insane pricing is going viral now.

10 pack of Birdseye fish fingers near me - £4.40. (Used to be typically £1 for 10 or under £3 for the larger 30 pack when on offer). I see many other examples on social media including those pokey little 6 packs of Mr Kipling mini-cakes now at £3.25. £5.20 for 1.7L of Tropicana. £2.50 for those cheap packs of potato waffles. £8 for a jar of basic coffee. £4.40 for Cheerios. 

I wonder if they'll have to back down and drop these mad prices.. I mean who on earth is paying it?!

Like zoinks scoob. I wonder what could possible be the reason? It's as if some clowns voted themselves poorer. 🤡🤡🤡🤡

ScoobyGP-610.jpg

HOLA4425

I worked in food manufacturing for a well known brand and are pushing through yet another cpi - the fourth in a year. Some of our promotional price points are up 100%, average price +30%

Yes the initial CPIs were cost of goods/energy based but the growing consensus internally is that the company is now taking the Michael. A European outfit with links to ex bankers. What a surprise.

No surprise though that there's been months of corporate back patting on revenue growth, on EBITDA success....of which the local boards have received tasty bonuses; for then the main workforce to receive a pitiful payrise and paultry bonus. 

They literally don't care about the loss of shoppers and volume, it's just about driving that horrifically short sighted revenue.

A typical corporate short term play of this era.