• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442
12 minutes ago, msi said:

Wanted to keep track of the big payrises coming through as we all know the Elites can't stand workers earning more, so will lean on the BOE to jack up IRs.

British Airways staff call off Heathrow strike after 13% pay rise deal

But are IRs going to be raised to have a meaningful effect on inflation? I doubt it as they will "see through it" or whatever phrase they tend to use.  

As long as cheaper migrant labour isn't brought back in the elites it's hard for them to control private sector pay.

HOLA443
28 minutes ago, msi said:

Wanted to keep track of the big payrises coming through as we all know the Elites can't stand workers earning more, so will lean on the BOE to jack up IRs.

After a 10% cut, they got an 8% raise + some add-ons.

Even if it was a real 13% raise, it would only take them to 1.7% above their pre-pandemic pay.

I'm not sure I'd call that a big win.

HOLA444
21 minutes ago, nightowl said:

But are IRs going to be raised to have a meaningful effect on inflation? I doubt it as they will "see through it" or whatever phrase they tend to use.  

As long as cheaper migrant labour isn't brought back in the elites it's hard for them to control private sector pay.

Good point. Lucky the Tories don't have anyone who is linked to one of the  largest outsourcing companies in India.

Oh wait....

HOLA445
1 minute ago, PrincessNutNut said:

Even if it was a real 13% raise, it would only take them to 1.7% above their pre-pandemic pay.

Wife is an NHS nurse.....

She would be over the moon with that. Not that this is typical UK 'how dare they' mindset. 

Two sub 3% pay rises in ten years and a now sub 5% proposed. They need to strike.

But yeah, Tory clowns clapping like seals for photo ops means so much more....good job my far less important job helps pay the bills...and buy her a work laptop.

HOLA446
1 hour ago, msi said:

31 minutes ago, PrincessNutNut said:

BBC have edited the article to an 8% rise

HOLA447
1 hour ago, Brave New World said:

Two sub 3% pay rises in ten years and a now sub 5% proposed. They need to strike.

That's the issue - and most people are in the same boat.

Even adjusting pay by actual annually wouldn't keep real pay up with inflation.
You'd have to link the tax limits to the index as well to sustain income levels long term.

HOLA448
3 hours ago, Brave New World said:

Wife is an NHS nurse.....

She would be over the moon with that. Not that this is typical UK 'how dare they' mindset. 

But yeah, Tory clowns clapping like seals for photo ops means so much more....good job my far less important job helps pay the bills...and buy her a work laptop.

Mine is a nurse also, but being honest, they just don't have the backbone to actually strike and are held prisoners by ethics.

The RCN are useless and deceitful, the reality is the public simply don't want to pay for heath services. So, they'll just end up with even worse health outcomes and never seeing their GP...

HOLA449
4 minutes ago, Speed1987 said:

Mine is a nurse also, but being honest, they just don't have the backbone to actually strike and are held prisoners by ethics.

The RCN are useless and deceitful, the reality is the public simply don't want to pay for heath services. So, they'll just end up with even worse health outcomes and never seeing their GP...

If you ask neutrally, the public are sympathetic to funding and paying NHS staff more.  In the days of the coalition IIRC there was even talk of adding 1 or 2p to income tax 'ring fenced' for the NHS openly discussed.

The problem is that a vocal section of the UK immediately start screaming the soundbites of 'NHS bloat' and 'overpaid nurses' using salary spines as 'hidden' increases.  You can see the posts by the usual squad here.

HOLA4410
17 minutes ago, msi said:

If you ask neutrally, the public are sympathetic to funding and paying NHS staff more.  In the days of the coalition IIRC there was even talk of adding 1 or 2p to income tax 'ring fenced' for the NHS openly discussed.

The problem is that a vocal section of the UK immediately start screaming the soundbites of 'NHS bloat' and 'overpaid nurses' using salary spines as 'hidden' increases.  You can see the posts by the usual squad here.

I don't agree that the public are 'sympathetic', far from it.

I've worked in the NHS myself and have vowed to never return. 

The public are unrealistic and generally disrespectful to medical staff. 

The government have underfunded the NHS for some time now, outcomes for patients are much poorer now than in 2010.

The government will just manipulate statics to give the appearance things are better or improving, but there much worse.

The public are angry, why should GPs get a raise when I can't even get an appointment...

Nhs staff are lazy and have gold plated pensions.

Argghhh, I could discuss this for hours, but tbh I feel the public are hanging themselves with this one.

Edited by Speed1987

HOLA4411
29 minutes ago, Speed1987 said:

Most do the job because they are compassionate people and they know the emotional blackmail card will be played if they strike . When I was a fireman I voted against strike action as I knew the public would be at risk if I did , fortunately we didn't go on strike but chose a work to rule instead which just created a backlog of duties and didn't pressure employers. I think a General Strike is the only option to deal with these basturds as they won't stop until all hard won rights have been removed 

HOLA4412
14 hours ago, Lucky Larry said:

Most do the job because they are compassionate people and they know the emotional blackmail card will be played if they strike . When I was a fireman I voted against strike action as I knew the public would be at risk if I did , fortunately we didn't go on strike but chose a work to rule instead which just created a backlog of duties and didn't pressure employers. I think a General Strike is the only option to deal with these basturds as they won't stop until all hard won rights have been removed 

aka 'modernised'

• 4 months later...
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64001956

Workers at luxury carmaker Rolls-Royce have secured a pay deal worth 17.6%, unions say, averting the possibility of industrial action.

About 1,200 workers at the firm's plant in West Sussex will receive a 10% pay rise and one-off bonus of £2,000.

Nice, this will help push wages up in the Chichester area.

And less than 30 min drive away from us along the A27.  Will keep an eye on them to see if they need any intermittent IT or risk management consultancy.

HOLA4417
On 22/07/2022 at 18:25, Speed1987 said:

If the govt invested "National insurance" in eg a soveriegn wealth fund, we would not have a problem. Old people feel they have paid NI to get a health service, no govt of any party has ever told them the truth.

HOLA4418
On 22/07/2022 at 18:49, Speed1987 said:

I don't agree that the public are 'sympathetic', far from it.

I've worked in the NHS myself and have vowed to never return. 

The public are unrealistic and generally disrespectful to medical staff. 

The government have underfunded the NHS for some time now, outcomes for patients are much poorer now than in 2010.

The government will just manipulate statics to give the appearance things are better or improving, but there much worse.

The public are angry, why should GPs get a raise when I can't even get an appointment...

Nhs staff are lazy and have gold plated pensions.

Argghhh, I could discuss this for hours, but tbh I feel the public are hanging themselves with this one.

No MPs got gold plated pensions, CEOs have benefits and share options.......why are you directing animosity to lower paid hard working people...when should be directing it above your head not below it.;)

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
13 minutes ago, HousePriceTooHigh said:

Massive turnover this year at my place... Big raises seem necessary at this point as there is a lot of poaching going on

6.5% this year backdated to April and 5.5% next April. The first time they have ever gone for a two year deal. The Union weren't happy and put some clause in so they can renegotiate if the is a significant change in the economy (for example inflation is 25% next year).

We still have a £4000 bounty scheme running. There are various figures going around but one was that they had 71 new starters but had only increased the headcount by 11. Part of the problem is the number of over 60s deciding to retire and blow their pension before it is worth significantly less.   

• 3 weeks later...
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
On 22/07/2022 at 14:38, msi said:

Thought that was another rise :lol: 

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

HOLA4424
HOLA4425