House Price Crash Forum

Will we see our Prime Minister resign in the very near future?

HOLA441
2 hours ago, Bruce Banner said:

Tories are not happy, squealing like stuck pigs. 

They should have transferred Dick up to Durham when what's his name kicked her out of the met.

Hoisted by their own petard. Delicious.

Can't blame the police for being too soft otherwise they'd open BoJo up to more scrutiny

Can't blame the lockdown rules they created then ignored

Can't blame Labour 'bending the rules' without looking like a churlish child

Can't use the 'they're all the same' line - we now have a Labour leader that said he'd resign compared to Boris who didn't.

Can't say Starmer wouldn't keep his word because!!!

Tory tears are sweet tears

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
21 minutes ago, msi said:

Hoisted by their own petard. Delicious.

Can't blame the police for being too soft otherwise they'd open BoJo up to more scrutiny

Can't blame the lockdown rules they created then ignored

Can't blame Labour 'bending the rules' without looking like a churlish child

Can't use the 'they're all the same' line - we now have a Labour leader that said he'd resign compared to Boris who didn't.

Can't say Starmer wouldn't keep his word because!!!

Tory tears are sweet tears

Imagine if Sunak wins leadership now and faces Starmer now...

HOLA443
14 minutes ago, Staffsknot said:

Imagine if Sunak wins leadership now and faces Starmer now...

Several weeks ago the consensus seemed to be that Sunak's career was finished due to personal revelations (non-dom tax, Green Card, hypocrisy regarding investments in Russia... was there anything else?) and being out of touch.

Is this no longer an issue? Was it never an issue?

HOLA444
7 minutes ago, Young Turk said:

Several weeks ago the consensus seemed to be that Sunak's career was finished due to personal revelations (non-dom tax, Green Card, hypocrisy regarding investments in Russia... was there anything else?) and being out of touch.

It shows you the mental gymnastics the Tory Fan Base is capable of.  There was once a time when conservatism was about principle or nothing.  I'm old enough to remember when Profumo resigned; he blustered and prevaricated just as the current lot but when he was caught he accepted he was done for and stepped down and spent decades helping in the East End to show how contrition is supposed to work and that although Power corrupts, that integrity can rebuild honour.

I look at the Tory party and the state of small c conservatism and weep.  The centre right deserves better; far better than the Tories.

HOLA445
HOLA446
1 hour ago, Young Turk said:

Talk to Tory members they seem to put him in front

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
7 hours ago, Bruce Banner said:

Tories are not happy, squealing like stuck pigs. 

They should have transferred Dick up to Durham when what's his name kicked her out of the met.

Are they representative  ‘Tories’ though? . Nowadays politics seems like a left right lump of ‘normal’ people accusing eachother of being the extremist tribal freaks on twitter.

’Normal’ conservatives I talk to were fed up with BJ some time ago and prior to yesterdays confirmation I’m pretty sure would have been as sceptical as I was over the beergate guff.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
On 07/07/2022 at 14:41, lombardo said:

Look good? You mean his face?

The property bubble was mostly in the QE era of the Tories. Labour has not been in power since the GFC.

No, his Rabbit In the Headlights demeanor, his lack of any policy except "Boris Bad!" and his desperation to overthrow a democratic vote not so long ago. That three alone make him unfit for purpose IMO, but I might vote for them just for a laugh and because he has attacked the property bubble in speeches a couple of times, anything to clear the remainder of the Boris Clown Club out of the tent.

HOLA4412
17 hours ago, Postman said:

I hope they choose Rishi, for all the slick production value, it *should be* like shooting fish in a barrel for Labour, him being an out of touch, tax dodging, Non-Dom billionaire...

Didn't similar criticisms apply to the previous Conservative leaders?

Cameron (owned 10 houses), Johnson (250k is chicken feed, whinged very publicly about how he wasn't going to pay the taxes he owed to the US), May (husband is a rich banker). Labour weren't able to win against them, despite them being rich and out of touch.

HOLA4413
10 minutes ago, Young Turk said:

Didn't similar criticisms apply to the previous Conservative leaders?

Cameron (owned 10 houses), Johnson (250k is chicken feed, whinged very publicly about how he wasn't going to pay the taxes he owed to the US), May (husband is a rich banker). Labour weren't able to win against them, despite them being rich and out of touch.

That's why I said *should be*. I think the cost of living crisis has changed the context as compared to those previous PMs.

Talking to some family members and colleagues who previously voted for the conservatives, inequity of wealth is an issue that is surely coming to the forefront of their consiousness and also Labour's "one rule for them and another for the rest of us" theme is cutting through to them. Purely anecdotal so I take it with a pinch of salt.

Whether Starmer can inspire any one with his wooden personality and apparent lack of policies is another question altogether. My point is, Rishi was complicit in most of the Johnson scandals and is even a COVID law breaker himself, coupled with being a mega rich banker, Non-Dom tax dodger, (in a sane world) a Labour win at the next election *should be* a shoe-in versus Rishi as Tory leader.

But you're right, the British public love nothing more than to hand more wealth and power to their already wealthy and powerful masters, in the vain hope that their wealth and power will somehow rub off on them.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
10 hours ago, Postman said:

(...)

But you're right, the British public love nothing more than to hand more wealth and power to their already wealthy and powerful masters, in the vain hope that their wealth and power will somehow rub off on them.

Yes.

There is a part of the British public that would joyfully vote for the Windsors. 

4 hours ago, lombardo said:

I think he is in a difficult position. He has opposing factions in his own part that want differing things.

He has done pretty well in killing the main opposing faction.

I'm not sure I approve, but he has done it.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Tory donors are privately asking if there is 'any way' to keep Boris Johnson as PM

The day after Ministers and MPs’ forced Mr Johnson into announcing his resignation, insiders reported that a kind of ‘buyers’ remorse’ was setting in among senior ranks.

One said the absence of a strong candidate to replace Mr Johnson has led to calls to find a way of keeping him as leader. ‘None of them are much good,’ the source said.

Another source said: ‘Donors have been saying they have buyers’ remorse. There is a feeling that we have lost this extraordinary politician.

Daily Mail

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
1 hour ago, Trampa501 said:

Staggering rise in debt. I know Johnson had to cope with the double whammy of Covid and Brexit, but still wtf?

Debt was high before that double whammy.  BoJo's bungling was destined to launch it into space

Strange how the Tories put the whammy of the GFC in 2007 is put at Brown's feet

HOLA4421
41 minutes ago, rollover said:

Tory donors are privately asking if there is 'any way' to keep Boris Johnson as PM

The day after Ministers and MPs’ forced Mr Johnson into announcing his resignation, insiders reported that a kind of ‘buyers’ remorse’ was setting in among senior ranks.

One said the absence of a strong candidate to replace Mr Johnson has led to calls to find a way of keeping him as leader. ‘None of them are much good,’ the source said.

Another source said: ‘Donors have been saying they have buyers’ remorse. There is a feeling that we have lost this extraordinary politician.

Daily Mail

Why don't the donors come forward as the 'PM Committee for the UK'. At least we would know who actually runs the country

HOLA4422
1 hour ago, rollover said:

Daily Mail

Like Brexiteers calling those who would like to return to the EU "remoaners"?

As for the donors, they've thrown a lot of money at BJ and no doubt will throw some more if there is a chance that he could rise like the Phoenix.

One thing BJ might try, if Covid figures rise, is to declare a grave state of emergency and freeze any elections for a year so that the experienced leader "BJ" can deal with the emergency and save lives?

Edited by Bruce Banner

HOLA4423
1 hour ago, Bruce Banner said:

Today at 08:30 Sky News - Sophy Ridge is interviewing Tom Tugendhat... Grant Shapps too, but you can mute that bit.

The Tories are unelectable now. They protected Bojo. The only way they will ever be electable again is with a complete break, both in time and people. They need to be out of power for a term or more.

FXNOvSQXwAEBjWO?format=jpg&name=900x900

HOLA4424
1 hour ago, rollover said:

Daily Mail

Basically.

House prices.

HOLA4425