House Price Crash Forum

Will we see our Prime Minister resign in the very near future?

HOLA441
8 hours ago, Dweller said:

So what did she say today? She will not tax oil and gas companies instead we will pay over the next 30 years for the energy cap freeze, she will drill in the north sea and build some nuclear power stations.

The market will get us out of the mess the market got us into in the first place. It’s groundhog day.

If Labour make it clear they'll make the energy companies repay the loans instead and not allow them to be recovered through bills over the next 30 years, that might doom the policy.

Great way to nationalise.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
12 hours ago, A.steve said:

I quite like houses... I especially like nice ones. I think they improve the environment relative to  tents or slums or uninhabited wasteland.  I think villages improve countryside.  As for roads, I'm with Clarkeson... I also think that good roads are magnificent monuments... at least as culturally significant as any wonders of the ancient world.  I'm not into destruction for the sake of destruction... but I dislike the bus - despite BoJo claiming them favourite and that he made models of them in his free time.

Are you opposed to mankind dominating its environment for religious reasons?  Do you ascribe to the ideologies of Extinction Rebellion?  What do you think a country is - if it is not the interests of its inhabitants?

Got to find a balance, we've clearly upset this (serious over consumption levels) and are living through a great extinction event unless we change our ways. Obviously most mere mortals can't see beyond their own lifespan so choose ignorance. 

HOLA443
11 hours ago, A.steve said:

The inhabitants of the land and sea where people believe a country exists are not exclusively human... but the inhabitants of a country are exclusively human because a country is a human concept.

Is the right answer. Again.

Countries are concepts (and most have changed more than they've remained the same as well).

HOLA444
22 minutes ago, Brendan110_0 said:

Got to find a balance, we've clearly upset this (serious over consumption levels) and are living through a great extinction event unless we change our ways. Obviously most mere mortals can't see beyond their own lifespan so choose ignorance. 

Asking for 'balance' is wonderfully spiritual - but provides little practical clarity.

If mere mortals are ignorant, focused on a nearby time-horizon... from whence do you suppose your superior insight arises?

HOLA445
1 minute ago, A.steve said:

Asking for 'balance' is wonderfully spiritual - but provides little practical clarity.

If mere mortals are ignorant, focused on a nearby time-horizon... from whence do you suppose your superior insight arises?

I'm one of those hippie types that cares about people and my environment. I guess until the focus on GDP is changed for something else we're doomed (WEF is on the case there though!).

HOLA446
11 hours ago, Brendan110_0 said:

I'm one of those hippie types that cares about people and my environment. I guess until the focus on GDP is changed for something else we're doomed (WEF is on the case there though!).

LOL... We can agree that GDP is an idiotic focus for any target.... but I don't think we will agree about the WEF.

• 6 months later...
HOLA447
On 9/8/2022 at 9:08 AM, Brendan110_0 said:

A better measure would be GDP per capita, then we wouldn't be importing all these unskilled workers, as people would see there standard of living is slipping down the global league table.

HOLA448

The hippie is right that ending throwaway/ built in redundancy capitalism is better than environmental collapse. 

And population growth is going to end too. 

But there's no reason we can't all be a lot happier with half the population, and washing machines that last 25 years instead of 3.