House Price Crash Forum

Inflation apocalypse - food prices rise 33% year on year... and now there's a fertilizer production crisis!

HOLA441
  • Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
2 hours ago, Pmax2020 said:

Don’t you feel the cost of many goods and services has risen purely as a result of all this excess money sloshing about though?

I approached half a dozen builders last summer to price replacing a few windows. 4 of them boasted about being too busy to even look at the job, the other two responded with “I’m afraid it’ll have to cost this much because we’re so busy right now”. Literally saying pay double the going rate and we’ll do it!

Surely the fact that used cars have gone up in price is the single biggest piece of evidence for this. A guy I work with bought a skoda late 2019 for £10,500 and just sold it to a company for £11,600 this week!!!

Last summer there was LOTS of money sloshing round because (1) half the country was getting printed furlough money and (2) the other half were WFH with nothing to spend it on.

A year is a long, LONG time.

Now we are in the midst of gas crises, food crises, Evergrande collapse contagion crises etc etc.  Give that builder another call... 

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
1 hour ago, scottbeard said:

Last summer there was LOTS of money sloshing round because (1) half the country was getting printed furlough money and (2) the other half were WFH with nothing to spend it on.

Now we are in the midst of gas crises, food crises, Evergrande collapse contagion crises etc etc.  Give that builder another call... 

can some explain the evergande issue in a couple of sentences a muppet like me will understand? 

HOLA446
14 hours ago, dugsbody said:

It has not. Brexiters wanted to end freedom of movement and brexit has delivered. It is a complete success.

The rest of their arguments were lies, they never really cared about, hence they never get mentioned any more.

Freedom of movement seems to apply in Dover though!

HOLA447
HOLA448
22 hours ago, byron78 said:

I think the cat is out the bag about RE: Brexit.

Seeing lots of things like this on my timeline from folks who are usually pretty tolerant of the government.

242406834_1973056472865280_3800378965785299455_n.jpg

The small price to pay argument is stil there.

The real problem is the concrete upside seems to amount to tax evasion for the ultra wealthy.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

I wonder how much CO2 is actually used by the food industry?

It seems every time we open a packet or a bottle we are releasing fossil-fuel derived CO2 into the atmosphere.  And that is probably only a minor part of the total.

HOLA4411
23 hours ago, Glenn said:

Most of those hundreds of years we spend fighting them. Especially the French.

Why was that then?........not in recent years, we were on the side and helped the French in ww2......do we see the French as a threat or something......young people have no problem with the French, must be old people that hold a grudge against them for some reason......;)

HOLA4412
23 minutes ago, kzb said:

It seems every time we open a packet or a bottle we are releasing fossil-fuel derived CO2 into the atmosphere.  And that is probably only a minor part of the total.

All sorted now, been bailed out with millions to help keep co2 going...paid to another country to do their stuff on our behalf, fertilisers and fizzy drinks.;)

HOLA4413
1 hour ago, kzb said:

A very minor part indeed, too minor for even the most zealous greeny to get worked up about (which is a bit of a surprise considering their generally black and white view of the issue and how they'll start haranguing other negligible contributions).

CO2's like water. Even if you're flooded out and water everywhere is making a complete and utter mess you still need a reliable supply of clean water.

HOLA4414
On 21/09/2021 at 20:36, scottbeard said:

I'm not sure if I've understood you correctly but builders are still crazy busy. We've had a shortage for years!  I keep banging on about it but before I bought my first house I remember speaking to some people about the cost to extend to the rear (the house was small). I heard figures of £30k-£40k wafted around and thought that was pricey at the time. South East, they said, builders in demand.

A few years later came the time to do the extension and I bailed out. I got quoted £70k+ from the cheaper dodgy people and upward of £80k from more reputable ones. This was in 2017 I think.

The idea that we had an oversupply of workers in the South East of England just didn't align with reality in my view. Prices were rising year on year.

It's going to be even worse now, hence house prices are just going to continue going up, because the cost of extending is going up and people look at moving instead.

HOLA4415

Lots of printy printy sloshing about and proces gone daft, plumbers, sparks, brickies and one armed handymen are all up to their ears in money and tasty furlough money people just could not wait to spend.  Get ready for the mother of all disasters the likes of which we have not seen before.  

HOLA4416
On 9/22/2021 at 3:55 PM, winkie said:

Why was that then?........not in recent years, we were on the side and helped the French in ww2......do we see the French as a threat or something......young people have no problem with the French, must be old people that hold a grudge against them for some reason......;)

Lack of transportation, most countries fight with their neighbours well nearly all wars are with neighbours only the US has the technology to overcome the distance barrier 

HOLA4417
12 hours ago, shlomo said:

Lack of transportation, most countries fight with their neighbours well nearly all wars are with neighbours only the US has the technology to overcome the distance barrier 

If we can't get on with our neighbours, how do we expect to get on with the rest of the world?;)

HOLA4418
1 hour ago, winkie said:

If we can't get on with our neighbours, how do we expect to get on with the rest of the world?;)

Because we have not had historical wars with countries that are not our neighbours, so no enmity a blank slate

Edited by shlomo
did not make sense

HOLA4419
On 21/09/2021 at 19:13, Pmax2020 said:

Don’t you feel the cost of many goods and services has risen purely as a result of all this excess money sloshing about though?

I approached half a dozen builders last summer to price replacing a few windows. 4 of them boasted about being too busy to even look at the job, the other two responded with “I’m afraid it’ll have to cost this much because we’re so busy right now”. Literally saying pay double the going rate and we’ll do it!

Surely the fact that used cars have gone up in price is the single biggest piece of evidence for this. A guy I work with bought a skoda late 2019 for £10,500 and just sold it to a company for £11,600 this week!!!

I got a quote 7 years ago to replace the windows in my townhouse. I only got round to getting it done this year. Same price as 7 years ago! The window installers did not seem too busy to see me. It's only anecdotal I know, but just putting my experience out there, as a counterweight to your own.

I'm also looking to renovate the house. Granted it's been a challenge getting hold of builders, but that is usually the case in the summer. Now that it's getting cooler, I'm getting a lot more builders returning my calls. Prices don't appear to be much different to last  year.

HOLA4420
4 hours ago, Badhairday said:

I got a quote 7 years ago to replace the windows in my townhouse. I only got round to getting it done this year. Same price as 7 years ago! The window installers did not seem too busy to see me. It's only anecdotal I know, but just putting my experience out there, as a counterweight to your own.

I'm also looking to renovate the house. Granted it's been a challenge getting hold of builders, but that is usually the case in the summer. Now that it's getting cooler, I'm getting a lot more builders returning my calls. Prices don't appear to be much different to last  year.

I ended up fitting the windows myself. Did a better job than most of these contractors who just clad everything in weatherboard and with a two inch bead of silicone…

• 4 weeks later...
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

When is this food price inflation starting? Not a single thing I buy from Aldi has gone up by a single penny since the pandemic started. You would think the cheaper end of the market would rise first as they have lower margins to absorb the increase?

HOLA4423
4 minutes ago, fellow said:

When is this food price inflation starting? Not a single thing I buy from Aldi has gone up by a single penny since the pandemic started. You would think the cheaper end of the market would rise first as they have lower margins to absorb the increase?

We are elitist here and if you filled out the joining HPC and mentioned you shop in Aldi you would not have been allowed in, personally I shop in Waitrose 

HOLA4424

Unilever - owner of Dove and Ben & Jerry's - has increased prices by 4.1 per cent because of the supply chain crisis - and expects inflation to accelerate into next year

By Brian Stieglitz For Dailymail.Com15:33 21 Oct 2021, updated 16:00 21 Oct 2021

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10116091/Unilever-hiked-prices-4-1-cent-amid-supply-chain-woes-says-inflation-continue-2022.html

HOLA4425