House Price Crash Forum

How everyone could get £150 vouchers to spend on the High Street

shlomo

HOLA441

https://www.getsurrey.co.uk/whats-on/shopping/how-everyone-could-150-vouchers-19911811?fbclid=IwAR28IK2zpYlNEKXsmV-jtw2WNixREHZJjHXY7p2l2P8ljDRgV6M_WAlCk4M

Treasury advisors are reported to be considering a plan that could see everyone in the country given a £150 voucher to spend on the High Street.

Adults would each get the Government handout with children also getting £75, reports The Mirror.

The money would be designed to boost the UK economy after a year of lockdowns.

It would be free to spend in retailers, set to open in the second stage of England's lockdown lifting roadmap from April 12.

The cash could also be available across the UK when similar easing happens.

how-to-get-free-money.jpg

It should be pounds.......

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442

Can I be controversial and suggest these vouchers should only be given to people who have not received furlough payments, self employment support or whatever its called etc. 

I would much rather the government spent this money sorting the huge backlog in the NHS really. I am so grateful I've not had any medical issues in my family and hopefully that run of luck can continue another couple of years that I reckon it will take to sort out. 

Edited by Save me from the madness!
Spelling

HOLA443
28 minutes ago, Save me from the madness! said:

Can I be controversial and suggest these vouchers should only be given to people who have not received furlough payments, self employment support or whatever its called etc. 

I would much rather the government spent this money sorting the huge backlog in the NHS really. I am so grateful I've not had any medical issues in my family and hopefully that run of luck can continue another couple of years that I reckon it will take to sort out. 

Don't be silly. 

I think it should be all given to people who have spent the last decade paying themselves via dividends rather than salary to avoid tax. 

As they paid a lower rate of taxation for decades and avoided paying national insurance if you belive the press and labour its an outrage that they haven't been treated the same as those who have paid PAYE in full .. Even though the salary they choose to pay themselves is covered 

Expect the "excluded" to feature heavily in the budget 

Edited by captainb

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

Sounds like a good way of getting people back out there. 

My sister lives in the USA. She and her husband each received a $1200 stimulus cheque early on in the pandemic. I Think she received another lower value one more recently. 

They're saving for a house so.....

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
30 minutes ago, captainb said:

Only mid range fashion and crappy Italian chain restaurants as nothing is allowed to fail ever. They are also bringing back blockbuster. 

Damn, I scrapped my VCR. 

HOLA4412
44 minutes ago, LetsBuild said:

Depends what I can spend them on but I reckon they will be pretty worthless to me, the high street indeed. Might end up selling them for a lower face value in cash.

Go scale the idea and set up a voucher brokerage website. 

Frankly, like eat out to help out, it will just attract the wrong sort of clientele. They'll be chavs in Burberry again!!! 

image.png.ec785b05d29208c560b38066a1cf0af1.png

Edited by Mikhail Liebenstein

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
9 hours ago, captainb said:

Don't be silly. 

I think it should be all given to people who have spent the last decade paying themselves via dividends rather than salary to avoid tax. 

As they paid a lower rate of taxation for decades and avoided paying national insurance if you belive the press and labour its an outrage that they haven't been treated the same as those who have paid PAYE in full .. Even though the salary they choose to pay themselves is covered 

Expect the "excluded" to feature heavily in the budget 

Definitely. Pay only those who never knew if they'd have a job after 3 months, never had company cars, holiday pay, works pension scheme, sick pay, redundancy pay. Had to travel miles to work and stay away from home. had to employ an accountant. Pay for their own training. Never had access to benefits and had to fund their periods of unemployment. Got all the shyt work permanent employees were too lazy or unmotivated to do.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
10 hours ago, shlomo said:

https://www.getsurrey.co.uk/whats-on/shopping/how-everyone-could-150-vouchers-19911811?fbclid=IwAR28IK2zpYlNEKXsmV-jtw2WNixREHZJjHXY7p2l2P8ljDRgV6M_WAlCk4M

Treasury advisors are reported to be considering a plan that could see everyone in the country given a £150 voucher to spend on the High Street.

Adults would each get the Government handout with children also getting £75, reports The Mirror.

The money would be designed to boost the UK economy after a year of lockdowns.

It would be free to spend in retailers, set to open in the second stage of England's lockdown lifting roadmap from April 12.

The cash could also be available across the UK when similar easing happens.

how-to-get-free-money.jpg

It should be pounds.......

Why are the media not screaming STOP at the loonies in power ?

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

I have no clue why "the High Street" is something we need to save.

Shopping trends change over time.  Giving vouchers out to try and desperately pretend that online shopping isn't "a thing" just doesn't work.  COVID has accelerated a permanent shift away from Mr & Mrs Smith doing the Saturday shop with a paper shopping list in one hand and a baby in the other, to something else.

The DHL parcel delivery lady, and the Tesco Online delivery man, are the new kings of retail.  Mr Humphries is out of luck.

HOLA4421
2 minutes ago, scottbeard said:

Shopping trends change over time.  Giving vouchers out to try and desperately pretend that online shopping isn't "a thing" just doesn't work.  COVID has accelerated a permanent shift away from Mr & Mrs Smith doing the Saturday shop with a paper shopping list in one hand and a baby in the other, to something else.

The DHL parcel delivery lady, and the Tesco Online delivery man, are the new kings of retail.  Mr Humphries is out of luck.

You've all done very well!

HOLA4422
2 minutes ago, scottbeard said:

That's what is happening. Doesn't mean it's what should be happening. Not all change is good, even if it has immediate superficial appeal.

HOLA4423
1 hour ago, wighty said:

Definitely. Pay only those who never knew if they'd have a job after 3 months, never had company cars, holiday pay, works pension scheme, sick pay, redundancy pay. Had to travel miles to work and stay away from home. had to employ an accountant. Pay for their own training. Never had access to benefits and had to fund their periods of unemployment. Got all the shyt work permanent employees were too lazy or unmotivated to do.

You mean sacrificed those rights for higher gross pay and flexibility? 

I have no problem with contractors. I've done it myself through a Ltd company but came stuck through Ir35 then went employee, then did something different as frankly being an employee want great.

When doing monthly invoicing from my name Ltd to them I got the gig. I charged a decent day rate grossed up to cover holiday and employers NI, covered my expenses, paid myself 9k salary and the partner and then took the rest as a divi. No sick pay etc but that's the nature of the game. Net benefit to me was far higher than being on PAYE with no control. 

At no point would I ever consider demanding sick pay or demand holiday pay or demand something I didn't pay in for. 

Wanting all the benefits of contracting but all the "support" of someone paying full PAYE is having your cake and eating it. 

HOLA4424
18 minutes ago, captainb said:

You mean sacrificed those rights for higher gross pay and flexibility? 

I have no problem with contractors. I've done it myself through a Ltd company but came stuck through Ir35 then went employee, then did something different as frankly being an employee want great.

When doing monthly invoicing from my name Ltd to them I got the gig. I charged a decent day rate grossed up to cover holiday and employers NI, covered my expenses, paid myself 9k salary and the partner and then took the rest as a divi. No sick pay etc but that's the nature of the game. Net benefit to me was far higher than being on PAYE with no control. 

At no point would I ever consider demanding sick pay or demand holiday pay or demand something I didn't pay in for. 

Wanting all the benefits of contracting but all the "support" of someone paying full PAYE is having your cake and eating it. 

I thought your post was sarcastic and having a go at contractors. Think that was wrong interpretation.

I've gone through the same contract route as you but now see contracting getting less and less worthwhile. Being screwed by IR35 looks like the end for me. So now looking to do something different (dont know what yet) but not going into full time employment. Let them outsource offshore. See how the full timers like that!.

In its heyday (some years ago before offshoring) permanent employees pay would never have gone up so much if it wasnt for the "obscene" contract rates. 

The contractors I knew never expected anything  nor wanted anything for free. Just backed their own ability. There was no better feeling than giving 2 fingers to a shyt contract extension offer.

Edited by wighty

HOLA4425
35 minutes ago, scottbeard said:

I hope you can spend it in charity shops 'cause that's the only retail left in the high street round my way. Apart from pubs, bookies ans estate agents.