House Price Crash Forum

I told you.

HOLA441
57 minutes ago, Social Justice League said:

If this continues, the current westerm capitalist model is over, so paying people direct to consume will keep the wheels on for another decade.

Capitalism? Haven’t had that for decades. Hence the problem.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
1 hour ago, Social Justice League said:

Most individuals and businesses will go bankrupt in the UK and the Western world. 

A citizens income will be introduced in the UK and the US.  Spain is leading the way.

I don't believe for a moment that more than 50% of businesses and individuals in the entire Western world will become bankrupt.  The probability of it happening is so close to zero as to be not worth considering. 

Citizen's Income, however, makes so much more sense than the current benefits system that I sincerely hope you are right that it gets introduced here.  The sticking point will be paying it to millionaires, but it must be to ALL citizens without exception, or its a slippery slope back to means testing.

HOLA444
12 minutes ago, scottbeard said:

Citizen's Income, however, makes so much more sense than the current benefits system that I sincerely hope you are right that it gets introduced here.  The sticking point will be paying it to millionaires, but it must be to ALL citizens without exception, or its a slippery slope back to means testing.

100% agree with you.  It has to be paid to all citizens of a country, no matter how much they are 'worth'. 

Forget means testing as that's just more bureaucracy and waste.

Scrap the usless benefits system and I would bet money would be saved, never mind wasted. (all depends on the amount.......I think that £500 a month would be a starter for ten)

Edited by Social Justice League

HOLA445
HOLA446
1 hour ago, Pebbles said:

I'm pretty hopeful although let's wait to see these turn into land registry falls. I am still seeing some people proceeding. So not absolutely certain of a crash.

In the 2008 recession house prices fell about 20% (although people seem to have already forgotten that) and this recession is worse.

So it probably just depends whether you define 20-30% fall as a "crash" as to whether a crash happens or not.

People proceeding now are basically largely committed already (even if not legally, they are mentally and otherwise committed).  I doubt many people will be saying "right - sun's out, time to start house-hunting!" in 2020.

HOLA447

There was a house 4 doors down from the one we are buying up at the same time as "ours". Same price, almost identical layout, sold stc in the same week as ours.

Looks like its fell through as its back on the market at the same price as before. Will keep a very careful eye on it over the coming days to see how fast it does / doesnt sell.

HOLA448

It is still remarkable to me (I know it shouldn't be) that people can't see the recession is here and it's thr biggest since WW2, at least.  F 'em.   Those trading up or buying into are toast.

HOLA449
5 minutes ago, Chunketh said:

There was a house 4 doors down from the one we are buying up at the same time as "ours".

You're buying a house?

Unless it's a trading down, good luck with that, financially.

HOLA4410
22 minutes ago, Killer Bunny said:

You're buying a house?

Unless it's a trading down, good luck with that, financially.

Yeah I've mentioned it before. I'm not far off pulling the eject lever and waiting for a year to see what happens.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
5 minutes ago, Killer Bunny said:

No-one who isn't buying this year will buy for at least a few years as I see it.

Quite possibly yeah. I was hoping to have longer on the current prospective purchase as the vendors pulled out of their purchase just before lockdown.

The sods have managed to get an offer accepted last week, so rather than having to think about it nov/dec its looking like crunch time will be end of June ish.

Bah :(

HOLA4413
11 hours ago, scottbeard said:

The sticking point will be paying it to millionaires, but it must be to ALL citizens without exception, or its a slippery slope back to means testing.

Exactly this, but this is also exactly why it will fail, because politicians will get it wrong, because people will hate the idea of paying a citizens income to "rich people". 

HOLA4414
4 minutes ago, dugsbody said:

Exactly this, but this is also exactly why it will fail, because politicians will get it wrong, because people will hate the idea of paying a citizens income to "rich people". 

They wouldn't hate it if the UCI was set at a decent level.  Lets say £1k a month and you can work too, if you want to.

HOLA4415
1 hour ago, Chunketh said:

Yeah I've mentioned it before. I'm not far off pulling the eject lever and waiting for a year to see what happens.

3 houses that went SSTC in Feb/March have just reappeared in one of my search areas today, at the same asking price as before mind....?‍♂️

HOLA4416
11 minutes ago, Social Justice League said:

They wouldn't hate it if the UCI was set at a decent level.  Lets say £1k a month and you can work too, if you want to.

I think you underestimate the politics of envy. Certain politicians and press would stir up people to hate the fact that "rich people" get paid free money. Even if the tax burden shifted even more heavily to the rich.

Don't get me wrong, I wish UBI was possible, and maybe one day, but I just think politicians will screw it up.

HOLA4417
2 hours ago, Killer Bunny said:

It is still remarkable to me (I know it shouldn't be) that people can't see the recession is here and it's thr biggest since WW2, at least.  F 'em.   Those trading up or buying into are toast.

I know.

People are used to house prices and home owners having special status in the government's eyes.

HOLA4418
50 minutes ago, Smiley George said:

3 houses that went SSTC in Feb/March have just reappeared in one of my search areas today, at the same asking price as before mind....?‍♂️

Houses are being removed from sale in the short list I am watching. 3 so far and 1 has had the price reduced this week. 

My still list includes 17 houses  marked as under offer and it will be interesting to see how many appear in LR eventually and the price.

There's always been an element of kite flying in this area. For every one that makes it through to LR there have been at least another 2 that disappear.

Edited by Flopsy

HOLA4419
1 hour ago, Smiley George said:

Well worth keeping an eye on stuff like this as you can compare how fast it moves / doesnt move. The one I spotted earlier went in under 2 weeks last time around and that was just after NYE.

Bet that doesn't happen this time...although that could be down to the EAs not being able to create a sense of urgency by not herding people in like cattle....

HOLA4420
14 hours ago, Social Justice League said:

100% agree.  Vested interests have been trying to keep the wheels on since the mid 80's.

Probably earlier, if we go back to the 'gold standard' debacle.

You've hit the nail on the head.

The world has never been the same since Nixon took the US off the gold standard (and by extension everyone else)

The people have been screwed by inflation and a permanent loss of purchasing power in the currency (pound, euro whatever); People work hard for a relative pittance and increasingly people are living paycheck to paycheck and have little savings,  This situation was unthinkable 40-50 years ago.

HOLA4421

Not that UBI has anything to do with HPs (no, they don't)... and entirely off topic, UBI is the worst thing that could possibly happen to a people.

The amount of control the State will have will be entirely dystopian.

Be careful what you wish for.

HOLA4422
9 minutes ago, Killer Bunny said:

Not that UBI has anything to do with HPs (no, they don't)... and entirely off topic, UBI is the worst thing that could possibly happen to a people.

The amount of control the State will have will be entirely dystopian.

Be careful what you wish for.

Why?

Why is it any worse than today’s benefit system in that regard?

HOLA4423
23 hours ago, crumblingcon said:

What a lot of people predicted was that the UK economy was so screwed up and had so many plates spinning that it would just take an inevitable arriving black swan to show the economy for what it was. It's like a road runner cartoon where there is a one Ton weight suspended by a one Ton one ounce breaking strain rope over some seed/bait, yes it will initially support the weight, but you just know for a fact that it will break at some point.

People are not claiming they predicted a virus they predicted an economy that could not survive a virus or any other black swan event

Anyone with any sense knew it.

To triumphantly returning to HPC telling everyone "I told you so" after slagging HPC off on twitter is a right piss take.

I've been saying for years, this wasn't going to end well, house prices were the least of our worries etc.

I told you so too :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

HOLA4424
1 hour ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

Anyone with any sense knew it.

To triumphantly returning to HPC telling everyone "I told you so" after slagging HPC off on twitter is a right piss take.

I've been saying for years, this wasn't going to end well, house prices were the least of our worries etc.

I told you so too :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

To be honest Count, I couldn't give a f*** where he has returned from, even you(by your own words) had become disheartened by what had been happening, some people under pressure just go off and one and sound off a little, it's just anger and frustration, just look at it like the return of the prodigal son ? 

HOLA4425