House Price Crash Forum

Carney - Rates to rise in the 'relatively near term...'

shavedchimp

HOLA441
7 hours ago, shavedchimp said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-41439349

Hold on, wait for it...or don't hold your breath

There is a really ironic quote in the Beebs article.

The governor also warned against "reckless" household borrowing.

Shame he didn't warn the political class while he was at it!

Bail out the banksters again and we'll get the guillotines ready...

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

But do you think it is good news for savers Bruce?...I can see the banks being very slow to raise rates for savers if we get the rise....they won't need the savers money as a) demand for mortgages will reduce and B) their higher mortgage rates from svr will provide additional capital.

HOLA448

He's led us a merry dance for 5 years now.  I'd find it easier to believe him had it not just been 2 weeks since they voted to leave interest rates where they were.

Maybe it's about what he's not saying.  When he talks about Consumer Debt he mentions every type of debt (cars, cards and loans) apart from Mortgage Debt or Student Debt.  Look at what's happened whilst he's been at the wheel:

• Consumer Debt up £38b
  • Mortgage Debt up £125b
  • Student Loan Debt up £54b

So he's talking of a £38b increase whilst ignoring a £179b increase?

HOLA449

They arent going to put up rates because we are roaring away.Its because they want some ammo for the next recession and they think they have a window now.The Fed did the same thinking Japan and Europe were growing so could take the baton as they tighten.History will provide the answers if it was a mistake.

HOLA4410
12 minutes ago, durhamborn said:

They arent going to put up rates because we are roaring away.Its because they want some ammo for the next recession and they think they have a window now.The Fed did the same thinking Japan and Europe were growing so could take the baton as they tighten.History will provide the answers if it was a mistake.

History will show it’s a mistake - they should have done this (and a lot of other things) 5 years ago 

HOLA4411
1 hour ago, MrXxx said:

But do you think it is good news for savers Bruce?...I can see the banks being very slow to raise rates for savers if we get the rise....they won't need the savers money as a) demand for mortgages will reduce and B) their higher mortgage rates from svr will provide additional capital.

My point was that the media is more concerned about borrowers than savers.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
5 hours ago, maverick73 said:

Nothing to do with timing... were all about to be squeezed by rising oil prices... a low pound + high oil prices is a volitile mixture?

Surely if they don’t go up next meeting then the £ will crash back down to previous record lows just as oil goes up.. that would be a double whammy.. 

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
4 hours ago, Bruce Banner said:

My point was that the media is more concerned about borrowers than savers.

Saw an article online a couple of weeks ago in the Telegraph about how BBC senior management are being supplied with youth mentors to help them understand those under the ago of 30. Meant to post it on hpc but cant find it now...

HOLA4419

I want rates to rise so I can practice what I preach re debt and then can justify financially repaying my mortgages. At the moment my average rate is well below inflation, tax deductible (S24 nice game changer) and net overall less than I get on my numerous savings (reward current accounts, heritage ISAs, premium bonds). 

I am fairly certain they will nudge up in November to 0.5% and the reason the pound hasn't reacted is because (as mentioned on this thread already) no one believes him or cares anymore...and if rates do rise to 0.5% it doesn't make much odds. This will be a boiling frog type killer for borrowers and will take 2/3 years before we hear the first squeals. Even then rates will still be relatively low and only the truly feckless (eg a 118'er with 20 houses) will be hit. I just hope no FTB'ers are being suckered in at these prices at the moment due to low rates. 

HOLA4420
6 hours ago, disenfranchised said:

0.50% is where we were before Brexit. Back to that, nobody will notice.

Wake me up at 1% 

Exactly...... after the credit crunch ten years ago BofE implemented an emergency interest drop down to 0.5%, then things got worse a greater economic emergency to cut the rate in half down to 0.25%......what is this telling people about the health of the financial, monetary system......not good news, actions speak louder than words..........the best way to save money nowadays and help stop impact of inflation and low rates eroding yesterday's earned money is to spend less and or repay debt.;)

HOLA4421
13 hours ago, macca13 said:

Surely if they don’t go up next meeting then the £ will crash back down to previous record lows just as oil goes up.. that would be a double whammy.. 

The markets have taken it as a sure thing... if the BoE vote is against raising the base rate pound will drop, into a holding pattern, until feburary, and inflation will bite harder.

HOLA4422
11 hours ago, winkie said:

Exactly...... after the credit crunch ten years ago BofE implemented an emergency interest drop down to 0.5%, then things got worse a greater economic emergency to cut the rate in half down to 0.25%......what is this telling people about the health of the financial, monetary system......not good news, actions speak louder than words..........the best way to save money nowadays and help stop impact of inflation and low rates eroding yesterday's earned money is to spend less and or repay debt.;)

Things got worse? They anonced Brexit and the bank cut! Nothing actually happened, they just used it as an excuse to help their pals out..

some sort of white horse coming to save the day.. but no day needed saving.. it was bol oks 

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425
51 minutes ago, Noallegiance said:

Not this again....

Both the UK current account deficit and net capital inflow deteriorate in recent months, with the extremely high household debt, Carney is facing a dilemma. No matter what he chooses, the result won't be good. There is not enough time for him to prepare his ammunition. Maybe Bank of England will ban cash to deal with the next recession.  If we see a rate rising in November, how the UK 7 trillion £ house market will react? This time the extended Help to Buy schemes won't help much ...Maybe the auto loan will go burst first this time.