House Price Crash Forum

University Bubble Making Hissing Sounds

HOLA441
1 hour ago, Si1 said:

Something very similar goes for academic research. Most incremental academic research is there to satisfy research assessment criteria.

I worked in academia an agree with you. Most researchers only get short term contracts and can't have any security. Shocking that so many "clever" people are happy to be treated in this way. 

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442
5 hours ago, winkie said:

Speaks sense.....but you don't have pay to go to university to read books, meet other intelligent  people and learn from them, learn how to socially interact with others, learn how to speak well, influence others, etc....;)

Jordan Peterson would probably agree with you.

Here he is in an interesting conversation about the current state of many universities with Jonathan Haidt.

JH is an academic psychologist  who is publishing a hierarchy of universities ordered according to their tolerance of freedom of speech. He anticipates that prospective students will gravitate towards the more tolerant and that market forces will force the less tolerant either to change their ways or go out of business.

Edited by The Spaniard

HOLA443
  • 3 weeks later...
HOLA444

Although many on here were aware of it already, lots of talk on the BBC news at one about numbers of students applying falling for the last six years. Lots of talk about university education no longer being the be all and end all, with the alternative routes being looked at by the 17-18 year olds. The bubble is well and truly popping.

Also great news if you're a scumlord with student properties... Not...lolz. 

So much bearishness today...I'm stuffed. But always room for seconds and thirds.

HOLA445
On 26/07/2018 at 19:32, bushblairandbrown said:

What is the purpose of this thread? Shouldn't it be focused on student loans and vice chancellor remuneration, rather than just a place to moan about academics in general? 

The interest on the post 2012 loans is a national disgrace. 

Edited by btl_hater

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
20 hours ago, UnconventionalWisdom said:

And in times of emergency monetary policy... It's beggers belief that this isn't widely known or cared about. 

I think the big fall in university applications shows that it IS widely known about, and that the cost of tuition fees and loan interest is putting people off going.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
On 26/07/2018 at 18:04, The Spaniard said:

Jordan Peterson would probably agree with you.

Here he is in an interesting conversation about the current state of many universities with Jonathan Haidt.

JH is an academic psychologist  who is publishing a hierarchy of universities ordered according to their tolerance of freedom of speech. He anticipates that prospective students will gravitate towards the more tolerant and that market forces will force the less tolerant either to change their ways or go out of business.

Did listen to some of it but not all of it, interesting many ideas to think about and pull apart......University, why are so many encouraged to go? are there targets for learning institutions/schools to get as many pupils to go?......very interesting the fact, and it is a fact that upper and middle classes are more likely to have a desire/ nudged to attend? very bright kids from working class families still make it in this world without spending three or four years in a strange town meeting lots of interesting people.......born and brought up in central London or a big city can very easily meet and mix with both the upper and lower classes, from different creeds, races and religions and of all colours sex and gender......earning and learning imo is the way to go, get your foot inside the door of a good firm and show them what you are made of, work your own way up based on own skills and abilities.

Evening class the teacher told us we were not be doing our class but would be coming with them into the main hall to listen to a guess speaker Ken Livingstone.....I said wanted my money back for the class that was totally wasted.

A teacher I know working in a very good expensive boarding school where the parents had very high expectations for them told me many of the parents did not like children and they were sent there to be schooled and directed, out of sight out of mind........I did feel a bit sorry for the kids.....now the school hols I wonder how the relationship is going with their parents....hope not too much of a strain or inconvenience. ;)    

HOLA4411

Durham feeling confident.

Telegraph:  Interserve wins £105m construction contract for Durham University

Interserve, alongside asset manager Equitix and student accommodation developer Campus Living Villages UK, will develop halls for around 1,000 students and a new university building with sports facilities and a banquet hall.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
3 hours ago, darkmarket said:

Any suggestions on shorting this bubble? Currently have zero ideas.

Academics tend to buy nice houses in nice parts of town or nice parts of commuterville. They're quite high profile about it as it's part of the identity.

I guess in university towns it would be noticeable if many of them fell on harder times.

How you hedge that then is anybody's guess.

Additionally former university campuses would suddenly become reams of ill-adapted empty office space, or brown field sites.

Ditto hedging that. Maybe invest in brown field remediation, or office redevelopers. Not sure really, don't know what's possible or not trying to short an industry.

Edited by Si1

HOLA4414
19 minutes ago, Si1 said:

How you hedge that then is anybody's guess.

I was thinking along the lines of: who gets paid by universities, are they publicly listed and is there a platform that offers short positions or inversely correlated products. That's already quite difficult, and so far, the companies who supply universities all seem well diversified. It may just progress to mergers and takeovers and efficiency drives.

23 minutes ago, Si1 said:

Maybe invest in brown field remediation, or office redevelopers. Not sure really, don't know what's possible or not trying to short an industry.

This might be a better approach all round, looking for related long positions.

This bubble looks like another too big to fail, too big not to fail situation. I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up affecting everyone to some degree. I'd rather be insured if possible.

HOLA4415
41 minutes ago, darkmarket said:

I was thinking along the lines of: who gets paid by universities, are they publicly listed and is there a platform that offers short positions or inversely correlated products. That's already quite difficult, and so far, the companies who supply universities all seem well diversified. It may just progress to mergers and takeovers and efficiency drives.

This might be a better approach all round, looking for related long positions.

This bubble looks like another too big to fail, too big not to fail situation. I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up affecting everyone to some degree. I'd rather be insured if possible.

Mmmm. The problem is, if a large bunch of liberal arts professors and lecturers suddenly lose their positions, incomes and half their pensions, who apart from them actually loses out? Bohemian independent restaurants? Real ale brewers? Corduroy manufacturers? Elbow patch sellers? Volvo dealerships? Apple?

Maybe some winners would be commercial focused STEM university departments with their associated spin off limited companies, suddenly gaining better standing and access to more space and support in the endlessly snobby academic hierarchy.

Edited by Si1

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

I divide my officers into four groups. There are clever, diligent, stupid, and lazy officers. Usually two characteristics are combined. Some are clever and diligent — their place is the General Staff. The next lot are stupid and lazy — they make up 90 percent of every army and are suited to routine duties. Anyone who is both clever and lazy is qualified for the highest leadership duties, because he possesses the intellectual clarity and the composure necessary for difficult decisions. One must beware of anyone who is stupid and diligent — he must not be entrusted with any responsibility because he will always cause only mischief.

Found this somewhere.;)

HOLA4419
2 hours ago, winkie said:

Found this somewhere.;)

Sounds about right a great quote.

A person I know lazy useless at school mother told him would never amount to much.

Started a small business with a good concept/angle > Could not cope so took a step back after trying to micromanage > business much better with decent staff running show so concentrated on that > now employs 200+ people and turns over millions.

Sometimes a smart hard working person can take to much on and slow things down.  If you want to employee hundreds and be really rich/powerful you have to accept that some are not going to be as good as you...and some maybe better.

Lazy people dont have that issue get it delegated and also value the skill and hard work of others more.

The funny thing is though everyone thinks they work really reallyhard teachers and Gps are my favourite I am not saying they dont work hard but their cars are always parked and engines cold when I get back from work ? 

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
3 hours ago, Fromage Frais said:

The funny thing is though everyone thinks they work really reallyhard teachers and Gps are my favourite I am not saying they dont work hard but their cars are always parked and engines cold when I get back from work ?

"Darling it's that strange man again, feeling our car bonnet, shall I usher him away through the curtains?"

"No dear, he'll leave eventually, just give it a minute, no point in making a fuss"

woman-with-cell-phone-call-looking-suspi

Edited by Arpeggio

HOLA4423
8 minutes ago, Arpeggio said:

"Darling it's that strange man again, feeling our car bonnet, shall I usher him away through the curtains?"

"No dear, he'll leave eventually, just give it a minute, no point in making a fuss"

Yes that's me 

?

Mechanophilia just can't stop myself.

HOLA4424
11 hours ago, Fromage Frais said:

Thanks

Point proven

Yep.

They could all be earning much more in the private sector. And they work 60h weeks....

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/08/16/average-gp-now-works-35-days-week-just-one-20-trainees-plans/

Youd be better off spending the nhs primary care budget on public laptops and getting people to google their symptons.

HOLA4425