House Price Crash Forum

University Bubble Making Hissing Sounds

HOLA441
1 hour ago, wsn03 said:

My list would be:

Mechanic (as in a proper one, not someone who plugs in a computer to be told what to re-fit) - the classic car and motorcycle industry is huge

Mechanical Engineer - restoring things, old stuff, no one can do it - shot blasting, welding, nickel plating, etc etc etc

Dry stone walling - that's expensive and councils have to pay to keep it all maintained in some parts of the country

Carpenter - as above, proper craftsmans trade (though something I would hate to do myself, can't stand woodwork)

Scrap man - my favourite, I'm yet to meet a poor one!

Just a few of my thoughts. Possibly not very good ones, but even putting earnings aside I imagine far more job satisfaction than most. If I wasn't being given the opportunity of a lifetime I'd eventually change into becoming a handyman - far less pay but would make me very happy indeed. I might eventually do 1 day / week in that later on.

Interesting - I wonder what the list will be in 8 years.

(As we live in London dry stone walling might not be a great choice).

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442
1 hour ago, long time lurking said:

If you are looking at mountain bikes ? theres not a lot you can do with them other than small repairs as they are heat treated after being made/welded together as soon as you weld them after this you introduce a soft spot where the weld is and its never going to be as strong as it was before 

When I say bikes I mean motorbikes, so bigger sturdier construction.

However I'm also looking forward to being able to do other things, like make my own gates, security cage doors (for the workshop) etc - very satisfying that will be!

I'd love to make my own go-kart, and I've always wanted to build my own sidecar!

Edited by wsn03

HOLA443
1 hour ago, winkie said:

What I am saying is the wage threshold as to when the debt or rather tax has to begin being paid should be increased.....going to university is a big waste of both time and money for many, Firstly not everyone benefits from it. Secondly the education is in some cases very poor value for money. Thirdly some people would benefit from going to the old style technical colleges or learning more vocational and creative crafts and skills. Fourthly why are we not getting the basics right, like quality free education up to the age of 18.....if the school's have been rubbish throughout the educational system how could going to a university ever correct that?.......waste of both time and money.

nb, people will always need hairdressers.....mobile and fixed.;)

The article I quoted is basically saying that unless you start paying off the lump sum straightaway the compound interest means that for 90% of people,it'll never get paid.

On you other points Winkie I agree wholeheartedly.Universities these days aren't fit for their supposed purpose.Particularly on the latter point I highlight which is a way I haven't looked at it before.

HOLA444
1 hour ago, spyguy said:

Mechanic. Very few + far opportunities. New cars and the liek are v. reliable and chuckaway.

Youd have to to specilist, low volume stuff.

ME - Youve described a tinkerer not a ME. Physical devices will always be with us.

Dry stone waller. Nah. Counclis dont pay for dry stone walls. More of garden feature for rich people.

Carpenter. Any carpentor/non bench joiner. Yep, usefull but may need to travel.

Scrapman. Nope. Most end up injail. Or robbed by caravanners.

I'll clarify-

Mechanic - for the classic market. I am now the only person I know who can build and set up carburettors - scary but true.

Tinkerer - yes, basic rebuilt skills. Someone who can take something apart, blast, coat, spray etc, put back together like new. People pay good money to have Grandma's cabinet restored etc etc.

Dry stone waller- I'm from the Isle of Man, you're in work full time on a lot of money if you have this trade, paid for by the government, same for large chunks of Wales, the North of England, Scotland....etc....

Scrap man - hmm, the one's I've dealt with seem to do fine and aren't in jail, but you might be right!

HOLA445
HOLA446
2 minutes ago, iamnumerate said:

No they don't my wife has cut mine since I got married.  However even if we had no money at all and got locked out - we would still need a locksmith.

...So you married a hairdresser....youtube will unlock it for you.....how can you repair, how can you make, how do you change a lock?...don't need a degree to fix that.;)

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
3 hours ago, wsn03 said:

I've got a step daughter now graduated who managed to give herself a nervous breakdown, quite common apparently. One of the things she's depressed about is the amount of debt she has accumulated for a qualification she doesn't need. It's interesting, because her degree was a waste of time, but I couldn't persuade her when she enrolled. I begrudge the student debt, the whole scam was voted for by people who themselves were given a free university education. Either its free for all, or we all pay. All that's happened is that University heads have been paying themselves more money, and lots of people who don't need degrees have been getting degrees.

I agree.Back in the days of grants,there were plenty of scams.

Be interesting to see how you could level the playing field for those from comps versus private schools.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
35 minutes ago, iamnumerate said:

I am not a skinhead, lots of people can cut hair good enough to make someone look reasonable - just not fast enough to make a living at it.

Can confirm this after literally just cutting my own 10 minutes ago.

I actually find it preferable to cut my own rather than have a barber/hairdresser (whichever you prefer) do it as I can get it exactly as I want rather than relying on their interpretation of what I want. I can also cut in the comfort of the dressing room chair ☺️. 

Assuming average joes spend £15 on a cut each month?

(barbers is what £10-15 for a cut + £5 for a two weekly tidy up or £30-50ish for a normal hairdresser depending on location..? You can spend hundreds but that’s just being naive)

Minus the cost of Wahl 5* clippers and trimmer, some decent scissors, cape, mirrors etc. I’ve saved at the very least £300 so far over the past two years.

Yes, I’ll admit I f****d up the first time but once muscle memory kicked in I can now do great fades & cut different styles with scissors or clippers or razor blades in under an hour now :). If I want to learn a new style i’ll YouTube or google it. I’ve not lost any time as I’d be sat in the chair + travel time otherwise.

HOLA4415
9 minutes ago, Money Frugality said:

Can confirm this after literally just cutting my own 10 minutes ago.

I actually find it preferable to cut my own rather than have a barber/hairdresser (whichever you prefer) do it as I can get it exactly as I want rather than relying on their interpretation of what I want. I can also cut in the comfort of the dressing room chair ☺️. 

Assuming average joes spend £15 on a cut each month?

(barbers is what £10-15 for a cut + £5 for a two weekly tidy up or £30-50ish for a normal hairdresser depending on location..? You can spend hundreds but that’s just being naive)

Minus the cost of Wahl 5* clippers and trimmer, some decent scissors, cape, mirrors etc. I’ve saved at the very least £300 so far over the past two years.

Yes, I’ll admit I f****d up the first time but once muscle memory kicked in I can now do great fades & cut different styles with scissors or clippers or razor blades in under an hour now :). If I want to learn a new style i’ll YouTube or google it. I’ve not lost any time as I’d be sat in the chair + travel time otherwise.

It is even more comfortable if your wife does and you can sit down and watch the "Big Bang Theory" while she cuts your hair (saying that better to chose something she is not took keen on).  Also if she does it she can't complain about the result!  Which for some women (not my wife) would be a big advantage.

HOLA4416
2 minutes ago, iamnumerate said:

It is even more comfortable if your wife does and you can sit down and watch the "Big Bang Theory" while she cuts your hair (saying that better to chose something she is not took keen on).  Also if she does it she can't complain about the result!  Which for some women (not my wife) would be a big advantage.

Your a much braver man then me let’s put it that way ?. 

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
5 hours ago, iamnumerate said:

For my 8 year old daughter I want her to be either a locksmith, electrician,computer programmer, dentist or doctor (I think those are the best paid careers but feel free to suggest alternate ideas.  I don't like plumbing because of the strength needed so unlike electricians etc you might have problems long term).

Advise her in 10 years time, don't think about it now, you are clouding your future judgement. There is no point in guess what will stick and what each of those will be. I would not be surprised if a nurse becomes more paid than a doctor. Doctor are failures in diagnosis and I am sure they are easier replaced by robots than nurses are.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
6 minutes ago, Freki said:

Advise her in 10 years time, don't think about it now, you are clouding your future judgement. There is no point in guess what will stick and what each of those will be. I would not be surprised if a nurse becomes more paid than a doctor. Doctor are failures in diagnosis and I am sure they are easier replaced by robots than nurses are.

I have it on good authority that medicine as it stands now is a craft as much as science. Watson-like AIs will help a great deal, but unlikely to make a dent in doctors' numbers any time soon. Learning algorithms make decisions on the same small data samples as doctors. It may all of course change if we have a massive breakthrough in biology on the knowledge side or get much, much more data for learning algorithms to process (and then it may not help anyway).

Paralegals and anyone dealing with tight sets of formal known rules are screwed though. Drivers... I'm not sure.

HOLA4424
6 hours ago, wsn03 said:

I've got a step daughter now graduated who managed to give herself a nervous breakdown, quite common apparently. One of the things she's depressed about is the amount of debt she has accumulated for a qualification she doesn't need. It's interesting, because her degree was a waste of time, but I couldn't persuade her when she enrolled. I begrudge the student debt, the whole scam was voted for by people who themselves were given a free university education. Either its free for all, or we all pay. All that's happened is that University heads have been paying themselves more money, and lots of people who don't need degrees have been getting degrees.

I met an interesting young chap last year in my previous company.

He started as a call centre agent trainee, not even 18, and moved on doing business intelligence for the company, doing a great job in the migration towards Tableau. Bright and everything. He still went to Uni after that "gap" year. There is so much advise you can give to people that barely know you.

HOLA4425
26 minutes ago, vodkalondon said:

I have it on good authority that medicine as it stands now is a craft as much as science. Watson-like AIs will help a great deal, but unlikely to make a dent in doctors' numbers any time soon. Learning algorithms make decisions on the same small data samples as doctors. It may all of course change if we have a massive breakthrough in biology on the knowledge side or get much, much more data for learning algorithms to process (and then it may not help anyway).

Paralegals and anyone dealing with tight sets of formal known rules are screwed though. Drivers... I'm not sure.

What is good authority? People being delusional about their real added value and who can't envision a robot doing their jobs?

My point was that it is not worth pondering what will be the best winning job in 20 years time. I believe that management will stick, just because management are insiders that knows how to feed on the beast. I am alas someone who likes doing technical stuff and missing on the big bucks that "project managers" are doing and their chance of going higher quicker.