House Price Crash Forum

Brexit What Happens Next Thread ---multiple merged threads.

HOLA441
HOLA442
1 minute ago, rollover said:

I would say "Boris 1 : EU 1" (von der Leyen scored point for delivering extra 9 million vaccines).

The German car manufacturers were this >< close to ditch the EU and come to the rescue again, you could just about smell their exhaust fumes, and Macron might as well have thrown the campaigning towel in before it even starts 😂

HOLA443
HOLA444
22 minutes ago, thecrashingisles said:

Despite everything I've said on the subject, I think I've underestimated the impact of Brexit on the EU itself. Now that it's lost its sense of inevitability, it could easily start to look and behave like a overly-defensive Franco-German empire.

Welcome_Back_To_The_Fight-min.gif.62465ea7fe07c829c5d637437c15dada.gif

Welcome back to the fight. :P

HOLA445
9 minutes ago, rollover said:

Success, very likely, but not resounding success.

Overnight the Commission managed to recklessly squander four years of their carefully and deservedly earned rep for thoroughness, unity (didn't even bother to consult ROI) and superior strategy and you still think they come out of it with a degree of success?

I'd like to see VDL do a presser and at least answer some questions, AFAIK she's only been on ZDF to face any scrutiny.

HOLA446
55 minutes ago, kzb said:

Don't think it would.  The UK has ratified A122, which gives the Commission emergency powers to commandeer assets.

The A122 notification would go directly to AZ, bypassing the UK government.  AZ would simply comply with the law.

UK Gov may later challenge this in court, but it would be too late by then.

A122 doesn't apply to the UK. Ursula von der Leyen seemed to think that AZN is subject to EU law within the UK, but it isn't.

HOLA447
2 minutes ago, Peter Hun said:

A122 doesn't apply to the UK. Ursula von der Leyen seemed to think that AZN is subject to EU law within the UK, but it isn't.

I know it doesn't now.  I was asking, what if it did still apply to us.

HOLA448
HOLA449
5 minutes ago, thehowler said:

Overnight the Commission managed to recklessly squander four years of their carefully and deservedly earned rep for thoroughness, unity (didn't even bother to consult ROI) and superior strategy and you still think they come out of it with a degree of success?

I'd like to see VDL do a presser and at least answer some questions, AFAIK she's only been on ZDF to face any scrutiny.

This tactical move got the EU extra 9 million vaccines + adds-on.

HOLA4410
6 minutes ago, thehowler said:

The UK threatening to break international law caused a right hoo ha...but it blew over. I suppose people expect bj to do silly things....the same does not apply to the EU apparently. They reversed the threat quickly, unlike the tories.

6 minutes ago, thehowler said:

She needs to go and make way for a cooler head.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

ARTICLE 122 TFEU

1.   Without prejudice to any other procedures provided for in the Treaties, the Council, on a proposal from the Commission, may decide, in a spirit of solidarity between Member States, upon the measures appropriate to the economic situation, in particular if severe difficulties arise in the supply of certain products, notably in the area of energy.

The suggestion of using Art 122 came from the President of the European Council, presumably a man with some authority.

European Council president suggests triggering emergency treaty provision if manufacturers do not respond adequately.

https://www.politico.eu/article/charles-michel-says-eu-could-invoke-urgent-measures-response-coronavirus-vaccine-shortfall/

HOLA4413
50 minutes ago, debtlessmanc said:

again read the french article (todays)

https://www.lefigaro.fr/international/vaccins-bruxelles-declenche-une-crise-avec-londres-puis-fait-marche-arriere-20210131

Read the french peoples comments, it is a national humiliation etc

UvdL is completely useless and Merkels poodle

That the Euro is destroying french manufacturing and is only good for the Germans

quite a few just say "BoJo 1 EU 0"

one says "We should just have stayed as the 6 (obv the EEC), now we are back where we where at the beginning, having be grateful to the British"

I've read through some German papers (google translate, if you think I can read Bosch-speak). Pretty much in agreement Ursula von der Leyen is a disaster and the UK have been far more on the ball than the EU. Brexit 1 EU 0. Very few comments blaming AZN, its all on the EU to deliver. Talk of November to get fully vaccinated.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
8 minutes ago, Peter Hun said:

I've read through some German papers (google translate, if you think I can read Bosch-speak). Pretty much in agreement Ursula von der Leyen is a disaster and the UK have been far more on the ball than the EU. Brexit 1 EU 0. Very few comments blaming AZN, its all on the EU to deliver. Talk of November to get fully vaccinated.

Autumn 2021. Same as the UK. 👍

HOLA4418
11 minutes ago, Peter Hun said:

Same in the Spanish and Italian press.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
11 minutes ago, thecrashingisles said:

That cuts both ways. Any perceived success for the UK clearly gets under the EU’s skin, and will continue to do so.

Well yes...we are in competition afterall. Bj has had plenty of stuff ups and occasionally manages to get lucky......and.....the EU trips up over it's feet at the same time. In my view, if the economics pan out badly then this issue will fade with the virus....all eyes will be on the new problem.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
3 minutes ago, IMHAL said:

Well yes...we are in competition afterall. Bj has had plenty of stuff ups and occasionally manages to get lucky......and.....the EU trips up over it's feet at the same time. In my view, if the economics pan out badly then this issue will fade with the virus....all eyes will be on the new problem.

I think UK is going to have a new problem, too many vaccines:

UK orders extra 40m doses of Valneva vaccine

The UK has secured 407 million doses of different coronavirus vaccines - more than enough for the entire population. The government says it will give flexibility should people need revaccinating next winter or beyond.

BBC

HOLA4423
33 minutes ago, thecrashingisles said:

That cuts both ways. Any perceived success for the UK clearly gets under the EU’s skin, and will continue to do so.

The success of British vaccination is a mix of good work fromNHS (nhs that Brexiteers want to disassemble and Tories spent a decade defunding)

and a decision by Boris (which may yet spectacularly backfire) of spacing out 2nd doze despite scientific outcry) to fiddle with figures 

Nothing here that uk couldn’t have done as Eu member 

HOLA4424
7 minutes ago, yelims said:

and a decision by Boris (which may yet spectacularly backfire) of spacing out 2nd doze despite scientific outcry) to fiddle with figures 

I'm not medically trained, but I would have thought it's not possible to space out vaccines you've not got? 

HOLA4425
12 minutes ago, yelims said:

The success of British vaccination is a mix of good work fromNHS (nhs that Brexiteers want to disassemble and Tories spent a decade defunding)

Don't forget it's also a sign of how the EU would have been better off with the UK in it. Brexit was a big loss for the EU.