HOLA441
  • Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
23 minutes ago, Si1 said:

The problem here is that the govt patently ARE setting interest rates but avoiding taking responsibility for it.

To be honest that's how I see it.

They are pretending the BoE are indepedent when clearly the only think they are independent from is the people of the UK

HOLA444

One of Silvana Tenreyro's former pupils at the LSE seems well placed at the BoE and he could have suggested her.

Gregory Thwaites    
Gregory is an economist with broad interests in macroeconomics, international macroeconomics, international finance and banking.  He came to research relatively late in life, after 10 years’ policy work at the Bank of England, the UK Independent Commission on Banking and the United Nations Mission in Kosovo, Gregory went to LSE to study for a PhD under the supervision of Silvana Tenreyro.  Since 2014 he has been Head of International Research in the Bank’s International Directorate where he manages a team of about 8 researchers, does research himself, and gives policy advice to the MPC, the FPC and the Governors.

http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/research/Pages/researchers/gregory_thwaites.aspx

HOLA445
2 hours ago, Democorruptcy said:

One of Silvana Tenreyro's former pupils at the LSE seems well placed at the BoE and he could have suggested her.

They are detached from reality.... pay them the average public sector wage and see what that entails. ^_^

HOLA446
18 hours ago, scottbeard said:

Almost everyone who comes to the UK does so to either work or study, not be "looked after".

18 hours ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

And your source of the info ?

See below - half come for work, and most of them already have a job lined up.  Of course "coming to sponge off benefits" isn't a tick box on the form, but just looking around you at the number of, for example, East Europeans working in shops, or building sites, or as tradespeople should help you back it up with your own eyes.  The fact is that jobs in the UK pay MUCH more than equivalent jobs in Poland or Romania.  That's why people come - not to sponge, but for a pay rise: the average after tax salary in Poland is about 9k after tax compared to 24k in the UK.

https://fullfact.org/immigration/why-do-international-migrants-come-uk/

Work is currently the main reason for immigration to the UK

The most common reason non-British citizens reported for coming to the UK in 2016 was work. About 226,000 (50%) came for work, followed by those who came for study (124,000 or 27%). Family reasons for migrating were reported by 77,000 or 17% of migrants.

EU citizens were particularly likely to report coming for work, while non-EU citizens were more likely to report coming for study or family. Among EU nationals, citizens of new Eastern European member states recoded the highest shares of those coming for work.

HOLA447
16 hours ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

To be honest that's how I see it.

They are pretending the BoE are indepedent when clearly the only think they are independent from is the people of the UK

Carney was appointed by the government (House Price Inflationist Osborne). As long as Carney is in the hotseat, IRs are going nowhere. It doesn't matter what the US does, at least they still have an economy, the UK only has a house price bubble masquerading as an economy. 

HOLA448
HOLA449

Carney Announced he is dead against Interest Rate rises, not new news as us HPC'ers are concerned, but it is out there publically now...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40338570

Could this be a magical ruse to lull sheeple into a false sense of security...again?

"From my perspective, given the mixed signals on consumer spending and business investment, and given the still subdued domestic inflationary pressures, in particular anaemic wage growth, now is not yet the time to begin that adjustment," Mr Carney said.

"In the coming months, I would like to see the extent to which weaker consumption growth is offset by other components of demand, whether wages begin to firm, and more generally, how the economy reacts to the prospect of tighter financial conditions and the reality of Brexit negotiations," he added.

HOLA4410
11 minutes ago, crazypabs said:

Carney Announced he is dead against Interest Rate rises, not new news as us HPC'ers are concerned, but it is out there publically now...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40338570

Could this be a magical ruse to lull sheeple into a false sense of security...again?

Will be interesting when it's a 7-1 vote against him.

Forest Gump must go.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
2 minutes ago, rantnrave said:

He's forgetting that IR rises are not just a show of strength. They can also be a sign of weakness, ie that consumer prices are growing rapidly in excess of wage growth and an IR hike is needed to defend the currency.

I dont think he gives a f**k.  he just wants to get out with his reputation in tact.

All he knows is higher house prices.

This is why I am calling him Forest Gump, he sits on his ar*e all day doing nothing waiting for his child to finish school.

HOLA4414

Can I just remind everyone about when the Swiss CB reassured the world that they were keeping the CHF/EUR peg? One week later they unpegged it. 

The moral is that you cannot believe a single word they say. 

HOLA4415
2 minutes ago, Funn3r said:

Can I just remind everyone about when the Swiss CB reassured the world that they were keeping the CHF/EUR peg? One week later they unpegged it. 

The moral is that you cannot believe a single word they say. 

He could well know that there will be a 5/3 cut next month and is covering his a**e.

Whatever it is, Forest Gump needs to go.

HOLA4416

Carney's playing with fire. He's like King Canute but his 'tide' is arithmetic.  I would love to see this fecker trigger a sterling crisis. Of course he would blame Brexit. 

So we have an anaemic economy that cannot handle a quarter point rise in interest rates from 600 year record lows after 8 years of wall to wall stimulus; or everything is awesome and we have an expertly managed economy with near full employment from which things could improve little. Take your pick.

• 1 month later...
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
6 minutes ago, MattW said:

So I believe that there will be a Bank of England decision on the interest rate tomorrow (3rd August). I wonder what will happen??? :unsure:

Would be funny if the Black Swan which the world is hunting turned out to come from UK

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424

Not a snowball's chance in hell.

They've already boarded the train, they're going to sit pumping fake money into zombie banks and worthless stocks while little by little the vast majority of the first world's population are forced back into the shanties and workhouses where we belong.

HOLA4425