Interest rate rises are coming...

HOLA441
  • Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
6 hours ago, whome_yesyou said:

Can't see it, although the MSM have been stoking up fear recently so somebody somewhere must have given the greenlight to release such information. If rates rise then trouble will be brewing, but they NEED to rise otherwise things will just get even worse.

That is exactly what he wants. He's never raised rates. He leaves in 2019 and immediately rates will start to rise on his departure. 

I think the vote for a rise will have slipped back as you've pointed out the media have done the BOEs job for them.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

Carney is desperate to keep IR's low as he knows that the housing bubble would burst with rising rates. The longer he leaves though the wrost things will ultimately be.

I suspect he is gambling on - or already knows - that the US will not raise further. If the US does continue to raise, as the Fed says is their current intention, then the UK will have to play catch--up eventually.

HOLA447

Members of the MPC also voted in favour of extending a credit facility to British banks from £100bn to £115bn.

The so-called Term Funding Scheme (TFS) runs until February 2018 and has already lent £78bn to banks at close to the bank's base rate of 0.25%.

The TFS is backed by the Treasury.

Lend at 0.25%

Can i have some please.?Il invest it in blue chips and collect the dividends.What can go wrong?.Theft from savers of course pushing up asset prices that other people have to buy out of earned income.Wonder how much they print when deflation hits and this is shown for the madness it is?

HOLA448
30 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Carney is desperate to keep IR's low as he knows that the housing bubble would burst with rising rates. The longer he leaves though the wrost things will ultimately be.

I suspect he is gambling on - or already knows - that the US will not raise further. If the US does continue to raise, as the Fed says is their current intention, then the UK will have to play catch--up eventually.

Could it be that he knows a collapse is coming anyway and he wants something else to trigger it so he doesn't get the blame. He can then justify interest rate rises as an attempt to stabilise the pound?

HOLA449
54 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Carney is desperate to keep IR's low as he knows that the housing bubble would burst with rising rates. The longer he leaves though the worst things will ultimately be.

He never admits it but covers his actions by claiming he acts to protect the bank's liabilities to the housing market. Which in my world is as you say, acting to defend the housing bubble.

We can only but hope that the Fed does raise rates as it would undermine his position.

HOLA4410
1 hour ago, Blod said:

He never admits it but covers his actions by claiming he acts to protect the bank's liabilities to the housing market. Which in my world is as you say, acting to defend the housing bubble.

We can only but hope that the Fed does raise rates as it would undermine his position.

The Czech CB raised today.
http://www.nasdaq.com/article/changing-course-after-nine-years-czechs-lift-interest-rates-20170803-00784

HOLA4411
3 hours ago, Habitationi Bulla said:

Interesting thanks. Also Canada where that ***** Carney comes from recently up to 0.75% from 0.5% http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-07-13/bank-of-canada-raises-rates-but-fed-yellen-hints-at-gradual/8704670

Edited by Arpeggio

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
27 minutes ago, wotsthat said:

This is about as big a pre warning of a rate rise soming I have heard in years

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40823237

:lol::lol::lol:

I'm not sure whether you are being serious or joking?

The BOE have been putting out that sort of baloney since 2010. Even when CPI was up at nearly 5% we still had rates of 0.5%. The government is broke, so they want low rates and the BOE will give them just that. The important thing to remember is they'll be negative for as long as it takes to help erode debt. If inflation rises to 5%, we'll have rates that won't contain that.

It's theft, pure and simple.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
21 minutes ago, Noginthenog said:

:lol::lol::lol:

I'm not sure whether you are being serious or joking?

The BOE have been putting out that sort of baloney since 2010. Even when CPI was up at nearly 5% we still had rates of 0.5%. The government is broke, so they want low rates and the BOE will give them just that. The important thing to remember is they'll be negative for as long as it takes to help erode debt. If inflation rises to 5%, we'll have rates that won't contain that.

It's theft, pure and simple.

I am being totally serious, I personally have never believed the past statements except for maybe the first few many years ago when rates went down to near  zero for the first time, I don't think it's a case of them having to make a conscious controlled intelligent decision, I think it is being forced upon them.

My only big worry, and I have not heard it talked about on here, since I arrived anyway, Is that at some point they are going to decide to inflate all our worries and problems away.

Edited by Guest

HOLA4418
6 minutes ago, wotsthat said:

I am being totally serious, I personally have never believed the past statements except for maybe the first few many years ago when rates went down to near  zero for the first time, I don't think it's a case of them having to make a conscious controlled intelligent decision, I think it is being forced upon them.

My only big worry, and I have not heard it talked about on here, since I arrived anyway, Is that at some point they are going to decide to inflate all our worries and problems away.

Well, I totally respect your views and concerns. As you say rises may be forced on them if inflation picks up any serious momentum, but I believe we'll have NIRP for the foreseeable future (Negative Interest Rate Policy). There are three ways to deal with debt;

1. Inflate away.

2. Pay back (with printed currency =1).

3. Default.

They are not going to do 3, and 1&2 are the same thing.

HOLA4419
10 minutes ago, Noginthenog said:

Well, I totally respect your views and concerns. As you say rises may be forced on them if inflation picks up any serious momentum, but I believe we'll have NIRP for the foreseeable future (Negative Interest Rate Policy). There are three ways to deal with debt;

1. Inflate away.

2. Pay back (with printed currency =1).

3. Default.

They are not going to do 3, and 1&2 are the same thing.

1 & 2 are not the same. (1.) the debt remains and the interest continues to be paid and thus the money extraction continues in perpetuity.

Hence (1.) will happen, not (2.) (we can't have future generations with LESS debt now can we?)

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
1 hour ago, wotsthat said:

This is about as big a pre warning of a rate rise soming I have heard in years

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40823237

Same old shit, different arsehole:

• Talk of raises whilst not raising (or even voting for a rate rise).
  • Talk of tightening whilst printing.
  • Talk of Wage Growth whilst wage growth is falling (and below inflation, so falling in real terms).

That said, I still think they're coming.  Not because of what the BOE are saying, but because of what other central banks are doing.

Edited by sisyphal

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

No way are rates going anywhere immediately we can have 5% inflation the bank only cares about wage inflation. That is well under control if someone can convince me that wage inflation is going north of 4% then maybe untill that time i expect no change in interest rates this year and maybe if the ecomomy does slow down a futher cut to 0 next year. Look at the way the bank was trying to talk up interest rates through the farcical forward guidance. They were expecting wage inflation below 7% unemployment it didn't. Really nothing to see here.

HOLA4424
4 hours ago, pmgdawau said:

as the major economies are engaged in competitive devaluation of their respective currencies an interest rate rise will be much talked about, but a new excuse will always be found as to why this is not the right time.

Which one is winning?

GBP since Oct 2007:

USD -37%

Yen -40%

Euro -23%

CAD -17%

AUD -26%

CHF -47%

HOLA4425