House Price Crash Forum
TheCountOfNowhere

Interest rate rises are coming...

I predict we will see the first rate rise before Christmas ( 2017)

Bank of England leaves interest rates on hold in shock 5-3 split - business live

https://www.theguardian.com/business/live/2017/jun/15/markets-bank-of-england-retail-sales-greek-debt-talks-business-live

The shock is that 5 evil ****s refuse to do what is right for 99 % of the country

from that page:

The jump in the pound has sent the FTSE 100 into a spin.

The blue-chip index has tumbled by 90 points, or 1.2%, to 7383. Retailers and housebuilders are among the top fallers, along with multinationals like miners (whose share price benefits from a weak pound).

1 hour ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

Bank of England leaves interest rates on hold in shock 5-3 split - business live

https://www.theguardian.com/business/live/2017/jun/15/markets-bank-of-england-retail-sales-greek-debt-talks-business-live

The shock is that 5 evil ****s refuse to do what is right for 99 % of the country

Intresting times for the forever HPIers.

1 hour ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

I see the banksters are back to their usual strategy of talking up expectations of a rate rise in the hope that will do the trick, in lieu of actually carrying it out.  We'll have to see if that is enough to stop a potential slide in Sterling.  With the twin pressures of the Brexit clock ticking and the hung parliament, I suspect not.

As always with the banksters, What they do, not what they say.

Who was it who said they were willing to vote for a rate rise as long as theirs wasn't the decisive vote. At the moment they're just dancing up to the line, not crossing over it.

Edited by rantnrave

Just now, rantnrave said:

Who was it who said they were willing to vote for a rate rise as long as their wasn't the decisive vote. At the moment they're just dancing up to the line, not crossing over it.

Yeah, that quote (can't recall who it was) sums up the ethos and remit of that committee perfectly.

No rate rises until their hand is forced. Any other view is wishful thinking, imo.

31 minutes ago, Sour Mash said:

I see the banksters are back to their usual strategy of talking up expectations of a rate rise in the hope that will do the trick, in lieu of actually carrying it out.  We'll have to see if that is enough to stop a potential slide in Sterling.  With the twin pressures of the Brexit clock ticking and the hung parliament, I suspect not.

Good point, I predict quite a bit of wrestling over the next few months, being oh so close, but ultimately doing nothing

Then if there is a serious event they will just started printing.

Mark Carney must wonder why people like Norman Lamont had to stick up interest rates so high.  He must wonder why Lamont did just park them at 0.25%!!

Edited by reddog

One good thing about raising interest rates is that encourages people to earn before they spend......what we have at the moment is spend lots, borrowed money long before earned, before growth, before future wishful thinking......kick the can, kick the debt, kick the liabilities to the next generation.......the bigger the debt the greater the future indebted problem.....else wipe the slate clean.;)

35 minutes ago, Sterling Loss said:

5-3 to remain unchanged today (what happens if it's 4-4?) Committee demonstrating that they are really putting some hard thought into it. No chance of anything happening though. 

Carney, as chairman, gets the deciding vote, I believe

2 minutes ago, The Knimbies who say No said:

One of the members who voted for a rise, Kristen Forbes, completes her term on the MPC at the end of this month.

The Bank's Monetary Policy Committee (MPC) is made up of nine members – the Governor, the three Deputy Governors for Monetary Policy, Financial Stability and Markets & Banking, the Bank's Chief Economist and four external members appointed directly by the Chancellor. The appointment of independent members is designed to ensure that the MPC benefits from thinking and expertise in addition to that gained inside the Bank of England.

3 hours ago, Sour Mash said:

This is what I think as well.

7 minutes ago, The Knimbies who say No said:

One of the members who voted for a rise, Kristen Forbes, completes her term on the MPC at the end of this month.

Who is Hammond going to replace her with?

Many on here will welcome this headline.

Many greedy self serving arrogant short sighted stupid people will not

http://news.sky.com/story/interest-rates-may-rise-sooner-than-you-think-after-surprise-vote-10916482

Interest rates may rise sooner than you think after surprise vote

Just now, maverick73 said:

The Bank's Monetary Policy Committee (MPC) is made up of nine members – the Governor, the three Deputy Governors for Monetary Policy, Financial Stability and Markets & Banking, the Bank's Chief Economist and four external members appointed directly by the Chancellor. The appointment of independent members is designed to ensure that the MPC benefits from thinking and expertise in addition to that gained inside the Bank of England.

8 minutes ago, Si1 said:

Who is Hammond going to replace her with?

Dunno yet.

Hammond and May made big noises about sound monetary policy when they assumed office, only for rates to be cut less than a month later as I recall.

I really feel like I could do their job sometimes. The real skill seems to be the ability to manipulate behavior without actually doing anything....how to continue to indefinitely find fresh and innovative ways of crying wolf.