House Price Crash Forum

Artificial sweetener to be declared 'possibly carcinogenic to humans' in bombshell WHO aspartame ruling

HOLA441
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443

Basically , you have to read the label on everything you buy .

artificial Sweteners talked about here .

check out how many things you buy have emulsifiers and stabilisers in them ? Research now showing that they alter the flora in your gut and damage the lining of intestine etc .. and many other side effects . 

modified corn startch.. another nasty in so much stuff.

it’s all Ultra processed foods .

Wonder why your supermarket loaf is nice n bouncy ? It’s Upf .even the bread in the sandwiches at your local upmarket “something a manger” chain, is full of it  (also owned by a mega corp ).

Most ice cream is UPF. Easier to transport at higher temp and stay solid etc. easier to scoop . Doesn’t form water crystals . But it’s not really ice cream .

Most low fat Yoghurt  is UPF.  Stabilisers / emulsifiers / modified starches . 

most cakes and biscuits . UPF.

virtually every ready meal is UPF.

modern diet is >60% UPF.  Interestingly, obesity has risen fairly linearly with UPF consumption .

Mega corps who control the food chain can’t make high profits out of fresh basic fruit / veg and basics like pulses / beans and unprocessed meat and fish .  The top companies who control the lions share of the food chains , need to process to ‘add value’ and save costs be lengthening storage / shelf life . Well, monetary value to them , lower nutritional value to the consumer ..Was reading research recently that traced all the household brands .. most major brands in your local supermarket are owned by less thank 10-15 global corps.  They don’t have your  health as their interest .. only profit . 

HOLA444
HOLA445
14 hours ago, athom said:

we've been eating sugar for centuries. Diabetes exploded after they switched to an enzyme modified corn starch called glucose fructose syrup here and high fructose corn syrup in USA. It was cheaper as it was basically a way to get rid of an excess of corn. Science has shown some correlation https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/23181629/ but DO NOT trust the science anyway is its all corrupt. The corn industry is a powerful lobby group. Everyone can say "needs more research" and deny findings pretty much about anything forever which is how they managed to keep aspartame in kids food for decades. Just don't eat heavily processed shit and be healthier. 

Add to that ... people being less active.

HOLA446

Must admit I consume a lot of this (was actually thinking of moving away to water, but it is not easy especially as I try to eat quite a calorie restricted diet, so a diet whatever is actually a 'treat').

But is there actually new research?  I have looked into this in the past, and all reputable studies have come up that it is safe.

HOLA447
16 hours ago, Confusion of VIs said:

Or don't eat/drink shit.

I thought it was already well known that Aspartame gave you cancer? I stopped taking the stuff a decade ago (having been a Diet Coke guzzler extraordinaire) because of this very reason. Maybe it was a fact that was allowed - like Covid - to escape the lab by whistle-blowing scientists.

HOLA448

The WHO have 4 classes of "risk" - carcinogenic, probably carcinogenic, possibly carcinogenic and not classifiable.

Aspartame has been put in the "lowest risk" category of "possible". The WHO also think mobile phone signals are in the possible category. They are more sure that "working nights" is a cause of cancer and thats in the "probable" category. link

They also deliberately avoid any recommendation about safe limits. other organisations have put the "safe limit" as equivalent to 36 cans of diet coke a day.

Red meat is in the more serious "probable" category but its easier to see that you can limit the amount of red meat you might eat, or the type of animal, the type of farming, the feed the animal eats and so on and that you might have a degree of control over the risk.

In fact the risk from Red meat might not be from the meat at all, but from exposing the red meat to chemicals that are release from its fat when the fat is burned "This is because when meat is cooked at a high temperature, fat is released and drips onto the hot cooking surface. In return, this can produce toxic compounds which can rise up and seep into the meat. " link

TBH, the list if thinks that might possibly cause cancer is so long, and so intertwined in modern living, that you'd need to live in a cave to avoid all of them. 

HOLA449
3 hours ago, regprentice said:

The WHO have 4 classes of "risk" - carcinogenic, probably carcinogenic, possibly carcinogenic and not classifiable.

Aspartame has been put in the "lowest risk" category of "possible". The WHO also think mobile phone signals are in the possible category. They are more sure that "working nights" is a cause of cancer and thats in the "probable" category. link

They also deliberately avoid any recommendation about safe limits. other organisations have put the "safe limit" as equivalent to 36 cans of diet coke a day.

Red meat is in the more serious "probable" category but its easier to see that you can limit the amount of red meat you might eat, or the type of animal, the type of farming, the feed the animal eats and so on and that you might have a degree of control over the risk.

In fact the risk from Red meat might not be from the meat at all, but from exposing the red meat to chemicals that are release from its fat when the fat is burned "This is because when meat is cooked at a high temperature, fat is released and drips onto the hot cooking surface. In return, this can produce toxic compounds which can rise up and seep into the meat. " link

TBH, the list if thinks that might possibly cause cancer is so long, and so intertwined in modern living, that you'd need to live in a cave to avoid all of them. 

there will be so much commercial resistance (including all sorts of influence and corruption) to adding any product to that list that we should believe it must highly carcinogenic to even make the lowest grade. 

HOLA4410
On 29/06/2023 at 12:50, athom said:

Finally. I've been refusing anything with it in for nearly 2 decades.

And Glucose Fructose Syrup since that clearly caused the explosion in type 2 diabetes. 

And autism WTF is going on with the amount of that. I was at a community kids party yesterday and the numbers are incredible. Seemed like half the kids were staring into space cross eyed and acting very abnormally. 

https://open.spotify.com/episode/3DQfcTY4viyXsIXQ89NXvg

Humans are incredibly greedy and corrupt and stupid. 

And this if you haven't seen it https://ok.ru/video/3156868467306

Perhaps. Excess carbs are bad, but seed oils appear to be even worse and also accumulate in your tissues, unlike these sugars.

They also reduce your ability to metabolise carbs, so it could be a 1-2 punch kind of thing.

HOLA4411
6 hours ago, Locke said:

Perhaps. Excess carbs are bad, but seed oils appear to be even worse and also accumulate in your tissues, unlike these sugars.

They also reduce your ability to metabolise carbs, so it could be a 1-2 punch kind of thing.

what are seed oils? Like rapeseed? Anything else? I'm just going to live on carrots

HOLA4412

I wonder why people are not more suspicious of artificial things? Most people seem to be too trusting. Everyone I know that drinks diet coke is absolutely hooked on it, suggesting it is addictive in some way. How can taking something artificial not have any side effects. Just because they are not researched and published, doesn't mean there aren't any.

HOLA4413
16 minutes ago, LivingWithTheInlaws said:

I wonder why people are not more suspicious of artificial things? …  How can taking something artificial not have any side effects. Just because they are not researched and published, doesn't mean there aren't any.

Most things have side effects though - natural or artificial.

A little sunlight helps you make vitamin D - too much gives you skin cancer. Etc

The question isn’t whether it has side effects but whether they matter.

Since billions of people worldwide drink Diet Coke every day I’m guessing the odd glass of it won’t do me too much harm.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
1 hour ago, scottbeard said:

A little sunlight helps you make vitamin D - too much gives you skin cancer. Etc

Since billions of people worldwide drink Diet Coke every day I’m guessing the odd glass of it won’t do me too much harm.

Odd glass if you like the taste, personally I can't stand it.....each to their own......that and ice cold water with gas, take the fizzy water anyday.......still water nice also, tap water good enough......cup of tea first thing in the morning or last thing at night nothing better.;)

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
On 30/06/2023 at 08:04, regprentice said:

Which is why I think it's best just to ignore the lot and just eat broadly sensibly. I'm not the slightest bit in "might possibly cause cancer" - that's the paranoid "what if?" game. Things that stand a meaningfully high chance of it, when consumed in reasonable amounts is the standard before I even start to think about giving a crap.

HOLA4418
On 30/06/2023 at 06:49, Field of Nightmares said:

I thought it was already well known that Aspartame gave you cancer? I stopped taking the stuff a decade ago 

When I saw this thread I thought: hang on, I stopped drinking diet coke 25 years ago because my mate told me Aspartame was bad.   

I guess most additives have had their scare stories, and I only took note because I was drinking a lot of it at the time. 

Mostly water, and the occasional full sugar coke is how I roll now. 

HOLA4419
15 hours ago, athom said:

what are seed oils? Like rapeseed? Anything else? I'm just going to live on carrots

Rapeseed is the big one, but sunflower oil is pretty much the same. They also label it as "vegetable oil", cos vegetables are healthy innit. Soybean oil isn't in many products, but they feed it to pigs and chickens, where it bioaccumulates in their fat, so pork and chicken are out as foods.

HOLA4420
15 hours ago, scottbeard said:

Magnus Pyke once said that if carrots were discovered today, they would not be cleared as fit for human consumption due to toxins.

I've never eaten carrots because I don't like the taste, so my inbuilt food safety device (taste) was proved right once again.

Magnus Pyke - Wikipedia

LmpwZWc.jpeg

Edited by Bruce Banner

HOLA4421
16 hours ago, scottbeard said:

If you are going to have the odd glass of it, you may as well have the original. It's only got about 5 ingredients compared to the chemical shit storm that is the diet variety. However, the people that I know that do drink diet coke have about 10 cans a day because it looks to me like one of the side effects is that it's addictive.

HOLA4422
1 hour ago, LivingWithTheInlaws said:

If you are going to have the odd glass of it, you may as well have the original. It's only got about 5 ingredients compared to the chemical shit storm that is the diet variety. However, the people that I know that do drink diet coke have about 10 cans a day because it looks to me like one of the side effects is that it's addictive.

What I actually drink is Pepsi Max.  I tend to have about 3 glasses a week.  I don't like the taste of the original versions as much as the 'zero' versions.

3 hours ago, Bruce Banner said:

Magnus Pyke once said that if carrots were discovered today, they would not be cleared as fit for human consumption due to toxins.

I've never eaten carrots because I don't like the taste, so my inbuilt food safety device (taste) was proved right once again.

If Mr Pyke was correct, of course.  I have noticed a deep mistrust of "experts" on HPC - with the exception of experts who happen to agree with posters' own views, in which case they are cast iron guarantees that the poster is correct....

HOLA4423
11 minutes ago, scottbeard said:

If Mr Pyke was correct, of course.  I have noticed a deep mistrust of "experts" on HPC - with the exception of experts who happen to agree with posters' own views, in which case they are cast iron guarantees that the poster is correct....

Dr Pyke, he was highly qualified in his field ;)

My post was a little tongue in cheek. Obviously it doesn't follow that my taste test is infallible, but that's how I choose what to eat. If it tastes good and I fancy it at that time, I eat it. If it doesn't, I shove it to the side of the plate as I always do with carrots :lol:.

HOLA4424