• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
17 minutes ago, Huggy said:

Indeed. A perfect storm that means I haven't been as confident of an HPC since 2008. We also have an exciting opportunity to see if savings > debt. I think they might be.

I still have a c2 year buying horizen, but then that's going to fall around a general election where everyone will be offering HPI. Tough call whether to jump in early should something pop up at the right price.

Hmm... maybe Labour will revitalise their "No more boom and bust" mantra 

HOLA445
24 minutes ago, Huggy said:

The Fed, the only rate setters that matter, couldn't give a flying feck about UK HPI ;)

Bailey only needs to get inflation down by 85% in order to successfully do his job. I don't believe HPI is part of that, but he might call it part of the 'stability' thing that the bank is tasked with. ie any excuse to widen the gap between US and UK rates.

But, it doesn't really matter if the Fed keep pumping! He'll need to.

Or he might just do what he's told by the ex GS banker who is responsible for appointing the governor of the "independent" BoE.

HOLA446
57 minutes ago, 17clarence said:

He immediately followed this up with falling property prices would be devastating to the economy as people spend depending on how rich they feel with the equity in their house, and then we must not talk about falling prices.

I must be doing it wrong... I spend depending on my plans, my needs and the balance in my bank account.

Edited by Postman

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
57 minutes ago, TBC said:

I'm dead chuffed things might be reverting to sanity.

Our house, bought in Jan 2021 has (allegedly) increased in value by 30% since then. I'm fully expecting it to lose that 30% now. Our 5 year fix (74% LTV) has 3 more years to run. When we come to remortgage we'll have paid off £50k and saved another £30k (earning higher IR) ready to pay off lump sum. 

Why not sell now and re-buy afterwards

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

from the BBC:

Recent data has been pointing to a sharp slowdown in the housing market. Earlier this week, the Bank of England said the number of mortgages approved in October fell to its lowest level since June 2020.

The next few months could be "something of a nightmare" for the housing market, according to Sarah Coles, senior personal finance analyst at Hargreaves Lansdown.

She said that we were "not seeing anything like the full impact" of the mini-budget in Nationwide's figures, as on average it takes about three months to complete a sale.

As a result, the latest data is likely "to include only around a week of sales agreed after mortgage chaos was unleashed. Even at that point, sales being settled were highly likely to have been funded by mortgages agreed well before everything kicked off, so all we're seeing is the effect of a sudden and possibly catastrophic loss of confidence."

She added that while mortgage rates have since dipped, and are expected to fall further, "the damage may well have been done".

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
6 minutes ago, Maghull Mike said:

While I welcome the falls, I wish the analysis explaining them was much more rigorous. Current MSM narrative seems to be 'if only it wasn't for that pesky mini budget, house prices would still be soaring now...'

HOLA4420
51 minutes ago, Postman said:

I must be doing it wrong... I spend depending on my plans, my needs and the balance in my bank account.

The wealth effect of housing (that increased house prices lead to increased spending as people feel richer) is a myth that has been debunked.

My favourite piece of evidence for this was a paper showing that increased house prices led to a wealth effect for non-home owners, which is clearly stupid. 

The myth comes from the fact that increases in the availability of credit lead to both increased spending and increased house prices. So there is definitely a correlation, but it is not a causal effect.

In fact the population as a whole consumes almost all the housing it owns, by living in it. We aren’t, on aggregate, ‘long’ housing (there’s no significant surplus we could, say, export) and so we don’t get richer when houses become more expensive. 

Edited by BorrowToLeech

HOLA4421
1 hour ago, 17clarence said:

GBN had some property expert on saying the falls were irrelevant as only very few people were in the housing market at any moment in time, and 40% of property wasn’t mortgaged.

He immediately followed this up with falling property prices would be devastating to the economy as people spend depending on how rich they feel with the equity in their house, and then we must not talk about falling prices.

Ah Gbeebies, the FreE SpEeCh channel telling us what we must not talk about.

Irony indeed

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
19 minutes ago, scottbeard said:

Good news for the young people of the UK who, in a few years' time, might have the chance to buy the house that they ought to have been able to buy years ago.

The ones who have a family home to boomerang back to. Apparently 1 in 4 private renters under the age of 35 are planning to move back home or are going to in the next year. Meanwhile rents have still increased 20% in 1 year and that shows no signs of abating.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425
12 minutes ago, slawek said:

Still early days.

Well, yes.

But you have to go through the early days to get to the later days, and up to now we haven't even been there.

However, the moment the Titanic hit the iceberg its sinking was an unstoppable mathematical certainty.  The fact it didn't sink very far in the first 10 minutes isn't really that relevant.